•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zhumell Z10 thoughts

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 DS-16A

DS-16A

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Looking for thoughts/input on the purchase of a Zhumell  Z10 Dob. Pros/cons? I don't know too much about these. TIA.

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Baltic Birch Dob Bases

• Vendors
  • Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

Great size and great value.

• sopticals, rowdy388 and dragonstar4565 like this

#3 Knasal

Knasal

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:21 PM

A nice telescope that will show you targets to last a lifetime. 

Kevin

#4 Sam M

Sam M

Messenger

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:41 PM

The OTA fits across the back seat of a compact car.  Not terribly heavy.  Grabs a lot of light.  1250mm focal length and F/5 gives a nice range for high magnification and wide field.  Decent focuser, functional altitude clutches, cooling fan on the mirror, decent accessories.  The mirrors can be hit or miss, especially the secondary, but it's no worse than any other mass produced dob.  If I could only have one mass produced scope for the rest of my life, that would be it.

• Jon Isaacs, sopticals, dragonstar4565 and 2 others like this

#5 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

My teenage son just got a Z10 about a month ago, donated to him by an extremely generous CN member who lives locally.  It's a great scope, one that I could have only dreamed of owning when I was his age.  Is it perfect?  No, but then neither are a number of scopes that I've bought that cost (new) several times as much.  It's got enough aperture to keep us quite busy with hunting dim springtime galaxies, and he and I are both very pleased with it. :ubetcha:

#6 rowdy388

rowdy388

Gemini

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 15 May 2019 - 09:22 PM

I have a Z8 and Z12. Two thumbs up. waytogo.gif 

#7 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:09 PM

My son's scope is a Z10.  The optics in it are excellent, so we scored.  The Z10 is a great package that has all the basics.  The only thing that really needs to be added in my opinion is some sort of 1x finder like an RDF.  The RACI 50mm finder is good (and somewhat pricey to purchase separately so best to get it as part of the package in lieu of an RDF), but RA/RACI's are best paired with some sort of simple 1x finder to speed/simplify hops.  Which is better, RDF or RACI?  Answer:  Both...it really isn't an either/or question for 10" of aperture. 

The Zhumell name went defunct for a time, so I don't know who is supporting them now in the states.  These should be identical to the Apertura Dobs.  Both are made by GSO. 

As mass produced Dob, there are a number of tweaks one can do and there is a long thread devoted to that. 

• Jon Isaacs, sopticals and dragonstar4565 like this

#8 Napp

Napp

Apollo

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:30 AM

I picked up a used Z10 about a month ago to use for situations where dealing with my 16 in just wouldn’t be convenient.  I’ve been impressed with it.  A Telrad with a 4 in. riser works very well with this scope.  I also copied a friend’s easy to build 1 foot high tripod to lift the scope higher.  I am really enjoying the scope and getting some nice views with it.  I transport it on a moving blanket in the back of my Expedition.  The scope seems to hold collimation very well.  I did add a set of Bob’s Knobs to make collimation easier.  Sliding a FarpointAstro magnetic bag weight along the tube makes it very easy to balance for different weight eyepieces.

Edited by Napp, 16 May 2019 - 12:39 AM.

#9 DS-16A

DS-16A

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

Thank you to everyone for the information. The scope is used and I will go and take a look at it tonight.

Napp,

I understand what you mean about a larger scope being harder to move around. I was looking for something that I could use at public outreach programs that would be easier to move. I have an older (1986) Meade DS16A that is just way too big and heavy to move for this type of work.

On a side note, I went to the Zhumell website and posed a question to them on their "Contact Us" page. A few minutes later, I received an email message from Celestron saying I am now registered with their helpdesk, along with a password for access. So somehow, Celestron is associated with Zhumell, at least as far as support.

#10 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:22 AM

Great scope! I have the AD-10 version of it.

#11 Napp

Napp

Apollo

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:51 AM

The scope is used and I will go and take a look at it tonight.

The used one I bought had several issues that were easy to resolve.  One in particular was that when I pointed the scope at a target and let go the end of the tube would drop an inch or so.  I traced the problem to compressed felt in the saddles where the bearing houses rest.  The felt had compressed over time allowing the bearing houses to slip which was causing the tube to drop.  I bought some felt with adhesive on one side from a local Michael’s store.  Before I replaced the felt I added a piece of friction tape first and then the felt cut to fit.  This tightened the fit around the bearing housings and stopped the end of the tube dropping.

#12 DS-16A

DS-16A

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:19 PM

The used one I bought had several issues that were easy to resolve.  One in particular was that when I pointed the scope at a target and let go the end of the tube would drop an inch or so.  I traced the problem to compressed felt in the saddles where the bearing houses rest.  The felt had compressed over time allowing the bearing houses to slip which was causing the tube to drop.  I bought some felt with adhesive on one side from a local Michael’s store.  Before I replaced the felt I added a piece of friction tape first and then the felt cut to fit.  This tightened the fit around the bearing housings and stopped the end of the tube dropping.

Thanks for the heads-up on the felt. I'll pay close attention to that area.

#13 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

Thank you to everyone for the information. The scope is used and I will go and take a look at it tonight.

Napp,

I understand what you mean about a larger scope being harder to move around. I was looking for something that I could use at public outreach programs that would be easier to move. I have an older (1986) Meade DS16A that is just way too big and heavy to move for this type of work.

On a side note, I went to the Zhumell website and posed a question to them on their "Contact Us" page. A few minutes later, I received an email message from Celestron saying I am now registered with their helpdesk, along with a password for access. So somehow, Celestron is associated with Zhumell, at least as far as support.

I have had an earlier version of the 10 inch F/5 GSO dob since 2003,  It's never been my biggest scope nor my best scope but I has been a good scope and a favorite.  I use it mostly in my backyard and sometimes for outreach.  I think it makes a good match for a 16 inch.

Jon

#14 Bonco2

Bonco2

Mariner 2

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

The Z10 is the best bang for the buck!

Bill

• Jon Isaacs, sopticals and Chucky like this

#15 DS-16A

DS-16A

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

Napp,

Just received an answer from Celestron. Turns out they now own/support Zhumell.

• Redbetter likes this

#16 belgrade

belgrade

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Far North SA, TX

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

Well, that’s a new one... I never heard for any connection between Zhumell and Celestron.

Anyway, I never heard anything but praise for their dobs - having in mind both price/performance and price/package ratios. Apertura and Orion’s SkyLine are different labels of the same dobs.
  • mrsjeff likes this

#17 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

In recent years there has been a bizarre game of musical chairs going on with Synta vs. GSO and who makes what for Orion, Celestron, Meade, ES, and a host of other brand names.  One can't really tell much about the origin by the brand.  To determine who made it one must look at the scope, configuration, focuser, accessories, etc. for a clue as to the manufacturing origin. 

#18 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:14 PM

As others have said, the Z10 is a fantastic dob, lifetime scope. I would have purchased one but I needed a truss. I had a Z8 and it was excellent.

#19 mjulihn

mjulihn

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:55 PM

Yes, I had the same experience with an email response from Celestron CS. Follow up was excellent!

#20 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

I love my Z10. Very good optics 

Post some pictures if you get it

#21 DS-16A

DS-16A

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:25 PM

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. Picked up the scope this past weekend. Other than being dusty, there is not a scratch on it. Everything operates very smooth and the mirrors look great! It came with all of the items that were originally supplied with the scope, plus a Celestron Chesire collimating eyepiece, a Meade MA 9mm eyepiece, a Celestron OMNI 2x barlow, and a Celestron 8-24mm zoom eyepiece. The zoom eyepiece is missing the rubber eye guard, but not a big deal to me. All for $325. I think I got a good deal (I hope)!

• Jon Isaacs, belgrade, kfiscus and 2 others like this

#22 Napp

Napp

Apollo

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:32 PM

I agree.  You got a good deal.

• kfiscus likes this

#23 DS-16A

DS-16A

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on this. Now I know what you mean about the felt wearing out and causing the tube to drop slightly. Will add this to my to-do list. 

• Napp likes this

#24 Z10junky

Z10junky

Lift Off

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:04 PM

Great deal. As someone else mentioned, a telrad with 4 inch riser will make star hopping a breeze.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics