•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVBONY SV205 Telescope Color Camera

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SOLARCOOKER

SOLARCOOKER

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:43 PM

I have a SVBONY SV205 Telescope Color Camera. It's equivalent to a 5mm eyepiece. I am trying to use it with a celestron 130 slt scope. With that camera  the magnification is too high.I can't see all the moon with it.So not knowing any better, I bought a .5  focal reducer.From what I read it's supposed to cut your focal length in half.Is that right? Would that give full view of the moon?

#2 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

Yes, a 0.5x focal reducer will cut your focal length from 650mm (I think that is the focal length of the 130 slt) down to 325mm and the whole moon should fit in your field of view.  Actually, a 0.8x reducer would probably do it if the diagonal of this sensor is indeed 5mm.  But it would just barely fit.  I prefer a bit of space around my subjects so I don't think I would have gone with the 0.8x reducer anyway.  

The downside to the 0.5x reducer is they typically are not the best quality toward the edges of the frame but that might not matter much with the moon in the center of the frame.  

Personally, I would just stitch together four images to get the full disk of the moon in the field of view.  That would give the best results.  The 0.5x reducer should work though. 

Patrick

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics