•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nightscapes of lolland falster

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jakob1234

jakob1234

Vendor - Clearsky

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Denmark

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:52 AM

Hi guys, i thought i'd share my latest nightscapes with you :) 

They are both shot with my nikon d5500 mounted on a ioptron, which is mounted on a tripod.

Both are shot with ISO 400 foreground and ISO 800 sky.

The first is a very old tree in the countryside of lolland (denmark) and the other is from the bog not far from my home (falster borremose).

C&C Very welcome :D

tr%C3%A6-fritlagt-ny2-final.jpg

mose1-7.jpg

• Starman27, havasman, darkstar3d and 9 others like this

#2 Coconuts

Coconuts

Vostok 1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:46 AM

Very nice!  Could you provide some info on number of sky exposures, their length, aperture, and how you avoided tracking error on the foreground objects?  Masking and combining?

All the best,

Kevin

Edited by Coconuts, 16 May 2019 - 05:47 AM.

• jakob1234 likes this

#3 jakob1234

jakob1234

Vendor - Clearsky

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:09 PM

Thanks Kevin smile.gif

The images are shot with my nikond5500, using a samyang 14mm F2.8 lens. 

the foreground images are one single image, shot with 5min eksposure at F8. The sky exposures are 2min subs for the tree and 1min subs for the bog (the moon was up). 

After taking my foreground, and when i'm sure that it's what i want, i start shooting the sky from the same position. As for the old tree, i took a reference shot at ISO 3200 (for the galaxy) and then i moved my setup in front of the tree and matched the reference shot as best i could. Then i took a 20min series of subs, which where then combined in PS.

When combining the foreground and sky, i mask out all tracking errors of the sky in the foreground image, then i line up the reference shot and then i place the sky image behind that. I then remove the reference shot and adjust final positioning, making sure that any tracking error of the sky image' foreground doesn't show.

If i can't move my camera in front of the foreground, i shot the sky just after i shoot the foreground. I don't shoot the sky more than 20min total, as the tracking error becomes too much then (this of course depends on how far away objects in the foreground are).

If the scene is very complex, i shoot the sky as quickly as possible and with as high ISO as can be accepted. 

I usually try to stack the sky exposure with PS, as i find PS does a better job for this kind of images than DSS.

Edited by jakob1234, 16 May 2019 - 02:13 PM.

#4 Melgabean

Melgabean

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:20 PM

Those are gorgeous. I would love to visit Denmark some day.
  • jakob1234 likes this

#5 jakob1234

jakob1234

Vendor - Clearsky

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Thanks Evan :D

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics