•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Standard USB A-B cable for RI kit same as printer cable?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Startex

Startex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:01 AM

I have the Advanced IMX224 USB Imaging Kit and it comes with a standard USB A-B cable. When I search that cable, lots of printer cables come up. Would these USB 2.0 printer cables work for my Touptek IMX224 camera? I'd like a longer cable.

#2 AIP

AIP

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid, Spain

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:22 AM

Yes. I advise you to choose a cable that has ferrite.

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

Startex

Check if your current cable is usb 2.0 or 3.0. Most new cameras are usb 3.0. Also, be careful on length since the signal will fall off quickly on usb. I recently got a 9’ cable to replace my ZWO 6’ cable. If you go much longer than that, get a cable with an integrated repeater.

Gary

#4 barbarosa

barbarosa

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: 130miles W of Yosemite

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:00 PM

The image on the RI site shows a Touptek USB 2 camera and not the G3M Series USB3.0 CMOS 1.25" Guiding Camera.

USB 3 jacks and plugs have a blue plastic insert.

#5 Startex

Startex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

Startex

Check if your current cable is usb 2.0 or 3.0. Most new cameras are usb 3.0. Also, be careful on length since the signal will fall off quickly on usb. I recently got a 9’ cable to replace my ZWO 6’ cable. If you go much longer than that, get a cable with an integrated repeater.

Gary

So this?  https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-3

#6 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:33 PM

Maybe ... it looks good (Triplite is generally a good brand). The question is will it provide enough amperage through the cable? The 150ma just seems a little low to me, this is likely because of the small gauge wiring used to keep the cable flexible. I'd certainly just try it out before running the cable out to the scope, just have everything installed next to your PC to see if the camera connects reliably and doesn't exhibit any connection drop outs.

Amperage wise I don't know what the camera actually needs. If the long cable does cause problems the fix would be to simply add a small inexpensive powered USB 2 hub at the scope end and then a regular passive A to B USB cable from the hub to the camera. The length will depend on where you put the hub with respect to the camera - I use a 6' StarTech cable with a 90° end for this type of camera - the 90° connector makes it easier to wrap the cable back onto the barrel of the camera were it's attached with some velcro. This ensures the cable doesn't pull on the USB socket on the camera (which is known to cause USB disconnects). You'd probably also need a simple inexpensive B to A adapter like this - https://lextec.com/p...-female-adapter to connect your long extension cable to the hub.

#7 Startex

Startex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:58 PM

So the problem most likely would be the camera getting power from the computer at that length not the signal returning to the computer from the camera? The powered hub will provide plenty of power to the camera?

Edited by Startex, 17 May 2019 - 03:08 PM.

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

That's correct.

An active extension contains electronics to re time the USB signals but doesn't do anything to the electrical power. The +5v line is just one long wired connection. The gauge of the wire used and it's length determines the potential voltage drop. You can also calculate the amount of amperage available if you start with a known maximum amount from the USB port. 

Anyway, having heavier gauge wires in the extension cable means more amperage is available at the other end but makes the cable heavier and less flexible. It's a trade off the manufacturer has to make. 

USB Keyboards and mice and similar devices draw 100ma or less. External hard drives up to 500ma. A single USB 2.0 device connection can provide up to 500ma (there are also other types of USB 2.0 connections used specifically for charging batteries and such, they can go up to 5000ma).

I can't find any amperage specs for the ToupTek camera. It would be interesting for someone with an inline USB power meter to check to see how much amperage this and similar cameras actually draw.

My comments in the earlier post were just from the fact that I thought the 150ma amperage spec for the cable sounded a bit low ... but it also might work.

Edited by mclewis1, 17 May 2019 - 03:56 PM.

#9 Startex

Startex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

Thank you!! This is what makes this forum/site so awesome! My plan is only extend from the scope to inside my SUV while at a remote dark sky site when it's cold, so a fifteen foot run should do it. 

Might need it, might not? Hey, the hub is only another 15-20 bucks then I also have multiple USB ports at the scope for other goodies. I already have multiple 12V power kits and various inverters from 120W up to 1500W. Plus it's a gadget I don't have, so I need it!

#10 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

A powered hub is certainly a good idea for a lot of different reasons. There are also various models that are 12v powered so you could power the hub directly from a battery (so no need for 110v inverters plus the AC to 12v power supply).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics