•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does APOD publish technical details anywhere?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johngwheeler

johngwheeler

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia: 33° 49' S / 151° 6' E

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:29 AM

Like many of you (I suspect), I have APOD photos loaded onto my laptop's login screen background every day. Whilst I enjoy looking at the photos and reading the information, there appears to be no technical information on the equipment used to take the images, or the processing used.

Is this available anywhere? I've searched but found nothing. Perhaps it doesn't exist, which would be missed opportunity for amateur astro-photographers.

Apart from Astrobin, are there any other good sources of image samples that provide the tech data?

Thanks!

John

#2 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

Hi John,

The only place that I know of that shows technical details of the images is in the accompanying text.

Usually the hyperlink that says something like "...the featured image..." will take you to a site that has details or sometimes the link in the APOD title will lead you to details.

dan k.

#3 2ghouls

2ghouls

Viking 1

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

In addition to Dan's comments above. I'd like to point out something that isn't super obvious: APOD has its own forum called Starship Asterisk. Many people who submit to APOD are on there, and would be happy to talk about technical details. Most of the images are also discussed on the forum.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics