•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Ganymede 14 May

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:45 AM

Hi All,

Somewhat improved conditions on Tuesday night led to some pretty good seeing, though I have not yet seen anything as good for Jupiter as I had last Australian autumn. Saturn is still wallowing in the mire at 1 am and this session did not produce anything spectacular.

I continue to refine the CH4 images. I follow the protocol on Christophe Pellier's site, taking a long video (10 mins) with 2X binning and derotating it in WJ (having first extracted and sharpened a reference image based on 1000 frames from the video using PIPP, AS, and Registax).   The protocol is modified from when Christophe wrote it some years ago - he says there is no need to create a dark frame, and I must say there is no obvious effect if you do use one.  Compared with my early efforst in CH4, there is some quite nice detail here.  It is a difficult medium as you are collecting photons from just a few nm of bandwidth around 890 nm.  

Note that there are two cameras used here-  the 290MM for the IR and CH4 images, and the 224MC for the colour images.

I am about to have another go this evening, and will spend longer collimating and cooling. I am now using a Lymax cooler.

Thanks for looking

Mark

Jupiter 14 May 2019.png

• George Bailey, RedLionNJ, CPellier and 9 others like this

#2 Foc

Foc

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:01 AM

Good to see someone is doing well in Canberra with nice detailed images from a color cam. 

Dramatic and interesting images with the CH4  filter.

• Lacaille likes this

#3 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:32 AM

Good images waytogo.gif

• Lacaille likes this

#4 Vega700

Vega700

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

Nice images and great effort you put into them..

• Lacaille likes this

#5 gfstallin

gfstallin

Viking 1

• Loc: Cheverly, Maryland USA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:26 PM

I'm not sure whether it is seeing-related or somehow influenced by my color blindness, but to me the difference between the image with the ADC and the image without is pretty dramatic here. Great work. 

George 

• Lacaille likes this

#6 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:20 AM

Hi George, thanks. The ADC was in position for Saturn, at around 30 deg alt, but I left it in place when returning for the final run on Jupiter, even though it was very high by that stage. Seeing was about the same to my eye, but I felt that, with the ADC in place, the f was raised well beyond the optimal. The image looked a bit bloated and pale. But the end result is more subtle, finer detail. (Sorry but I am away from my computer for a few days and cannot post the FC log files etc).
  • gfstallin likes this

#7 CPellier

CPellier

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:16 AM

This is an excellent  CH4 image, detailed and contrasted :)

• Lacaille likes this

#8 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

Very nice CH4 image Mark, well done!

• Lacaille likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics