•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI224 and Daytime testing question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Biggen

Biggen

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

So I purchased a 224 and have been playing around with it and my WO61 scope.  However, my question has to do with daytime testing.  I focused in on the roof line of a house quite a ways away this morning.  I'm using Sharpcap, so I had to dial down the gain to zero and set the exposure time to very fast.  I was in RAW16 mode and software binning 2x2.  I took a quick cell phone picture of the house line I was testing with:

gqMriq6l.jpg

Here is what I got with the camera via Sharpcap:

drLSmT1l.png

Why are the colors so terrible or is this normal during the day?  I hit auto white balance and then auto histogram in Sharpcap itself.  I then tried playing with the histogram but don't really know what I'm doing.

I've found the unofficial Sharpcap Tutorial that was posted here some time ago and used that as a starting point.

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

One problem with colors during the day with an astronomy oriented camera is the lack of a UV/IR filter. Adding one of these filters will cut out those shorter and longer wavelengths which really helps with the color balance and in some cases it makes the image a little crisper too.

Usually I find that a UV/IR cut filter, an auto white balance, and a little manipulation of the histogram gets me a satisfactory image of terrestrial stuff.

#3 Biggen

Biggen

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

One problem with colors during the day with an astronomy oriented camera is the lack of a UV/IR filter. Adding one of these filters will cut out those shorter and longer wavelengths which really helps with the color balance and in some cases it makes the image a little crisper too.

Usually I find that a UV/IR cut filter, an auto white balance, and a little manipulation of the histogram gets me a satisfactory image of terrestrial stuff.

Ok that helps a lot.  I don't mean to use this for terrestrial viewing.  I just wanted to make sure everything works and I could achieve focus before I start messing with this at night.

I'll fire it up tonight and see how it goes.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics