•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking one 20X day/night use

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:40 AM

Hello,
I have tried some 15X70 binoculars but in some cases they have not worked well for me because some model (BA8) has eye cups too big for my face, and in others because 15X was not enough magnification for the use that I had to give them.
I think that some model 20X can come to me better since I want to use it for long distance observations, observations of airplanes on the one hand and for astronomical observation also ..
My question would be if it could be better some 20x60 or maybe better a 20x80 model, I disregard the model 20x100, too bulky and heavy ..
I have a tripod to hold a weight of about 6 or 7 kilograms, I think the 20x80 model will be less manageable and heavier to use it freehand ... I do not know if it would be worth all this since it will have an intense day use ..
Thanks in advance for your advice.
paul

#2 markb

markb

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

It depends on whether money is a issue.

45 degree inclined eyepieces are SO much easier to use and more comfortable. APM binos have interchangeable eyepieces and the great Ultra Flat Fields to match, others of recent manufacture by Vixen and others, with fixed or removable eyepieces are available new and used. They will take you easily to 50x.

I sold all of my straight trough 80s and 100's since the were to uncomfortable to use.

Good ones to try out the format are mil surplus coated russian border guard 10x80s an uncoated wwii german flak 10x80s. Well under $1K. Both are extremely wide angle, very sharp, and the oversize exit pupils make them extrodinarily comfortable to use.  Add a $35 Orion L bracket to vixen dovetail, and possibly a 1/4-20 homemade thread adapter and you are good to go for an astro alt az mount.  Both are satisfying for your uses and are unbeatable for nighttime sky touring, particularly on a zero friction alt az with a simple long vixen dovetail bar sliding CW on the other side of the T head; AYO Swiss, Williams EzTouch, and Sergio Bonilla work well, far smoother than any photo tripod, tracking moving objects well. This setup will handle APM 100s or smaller.

• paulsky likes this

#3 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:38 AM

Thanks for your reply, these binoculars models are too much Price for my taste!

PUL

#4 markb

markb

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Try posting a want ad for a mirror table as a 45 degree alternative. I am not sure if they are available commercially. If you get a large enough mirror there are build it youself plans around.

Edited by markb, 16 May 2019 - 11:11 AM.

• paulsky likes this

#5 DeanD

DeanD

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:54 PM

These should be very nice: https://oberwerk.com...0mm-deluxe-iii/ although they have a lighter-weight version too.

What about these: https://oberwerk.com...20x65ed-deluxe/  If I didn't already have the Tak 22x60's I would be very tempted.

Just a comment on hand-holding for daytime use: at 20x you wont be able to hold any size binos steady (even if you were a champion weight lifter they would still bounce around with your heart-beat!), so you will need a tripod or support of some sort no matter what you choose.

Have fun and all the best,

Dean

• paulsky, terraclarke and fjnlsa11 like this

#6 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:24 AM

I recently  purchased some Pentax SP 20x60 WP binoculars, sorry even though they have a loyal following I just cannot get on with them, with a small exit pupil eye placement is critical and forget about hand holding even for a brief period. Add to that the extremely small FOV they are not for me, to the OP try before you buy if possible, good luck with your choice, Dave.

• paulsky likes this

#7 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

I have a good monopod and I had thought to use it with these 20X binoculars !!

#8 paulsky

paulsky

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:37 PM

Also I need an instrument that really has a great degree of mobility since I will use it a lot in my backyard that has several points of observation, southwest, north and east ... for that reason I must move from one point to another and the instrument should be light ..

thanks.

Paul

#9 Old Man

Old Man

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:44 PM

I have the Pentax SP 20x60's and find they are just great, provided you mount them on a mono or tripod. Almost impossible to use without a mount. Like another posted, just your heartbeat will give a shaky view.

Mike

• paulsky likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics