•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Thoughts on an Eyepiece Set?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 austin.grant

austin.grant

Vendor - Modified DSLR Cameras

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

TL:DR version "Has anyone tried the Agena SWA 10mm, 15mm, or 20mm eyepieces? I'd be using them at f/10+, so I assume they'll be fine?"

Since my first views with my WO binoviewer, I've been working on optimizing the setup. The current system is:

CPC1100 to a 20mm SCT/T2 flange to the Baader 1.25" prism diagonal to the binoviewer nosepiece. 

I've ordered the ultra short (2.5mm optical length) SCT/T2 flange and a lock ring as well as the RAF camera T2/WO adapter to eliminate the binoviewer nosepiece length. I believe this will be as short as I can get the optical path, which will result in the least amount of added spherical aberration. (I think?)

What I want to do now is optimize my eyepiece setup. I've currently got two full sets of Celestron Plossl eyepieces (for my classroom outreach), along with barlows and filters. I also have the 20mm 66° WO eyepieces. I'm most interested in the moderately widefield views that the 66° eyepieces show. I believe they are potentially just the 70° SWAN eyepieces, marked specifically for use with this binoviewer. 

I'm not interested in the Baader zoom primarily because of the reduced AFOV at the wide end. That, and they are pretty expensive. Oh, and because it's not terribly taxing to just swap a couple of eyepieces.

What looks nice to me are the Agena Astro SWA eyepieces. They have 10mm, 15mm, and 20mm versions. I imagine the 20mm is very similar to the WO eyepieces, and if the others are comparable, I think I'll be happy with these. Has anybody used these, alone or with BV? Thoughts? 

Are the WO 20mm 66° EP's the same as the Agena 20mm SWA?

• Procyon and Rustler46 like this

#2 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

TL:DR version "Has anyone tried the Agena SWA 10mm, 15mm, or 20mm eyepieces? I'd be using them at f/10+, so I assume they'll be fine?"

Since my first views with my WO binoviewer, I've been working on optimizing the setup. The current system is:

CPC1100 to a 20mm SCT/T2 flange to the Baader 1.25" prism diagonal to the binoviewer nosepiece. 

I've ordered the ultra short (2.5mm optical length) SCT/T2 flange and a lock ring as well as the RAF camera T2/WO adapter to eliminate the binoviewer nosepiece length. I believe this will be as short as I can get the optical path, which will result in the least amount of added spherical aberration. (I think?)

What I want to do now is optimize my eyepiece setup. I've currently got two full sets of Celestron Plossl eyepieces (for my classroom outreach), along with barlows and filters. I also have the 20mm 66° WO eyepieces. I'm most interested in the moderately widefield views that the 66° eyepieces show. I believe they are potentially just the 70° SWAN eyepieces, marked specifically for use with this binoviewer. 

I'm not interested in the Baader zoom primarily because of the reduced AFOV at the wide end. That, and they are pretty expensive. Oh, and because it's not terribly taxing to just swap a couple of eyepieces.

What looks nice to me are the Agena Astro SWA eyepieces. They have 10mm, 15mm, and 20mm versions. I imagine the 20mm is very similar to the WO eyepieces, and if the others are comparable, I think I'll be happy with these. Has anybody used these, alone or with BV? Thoughts? 

Are the WO 20mm 66° EP's the same as the Agena 20mm SWA?

I would double up on the Celestron 25mm and try that out. I go from the WO 20mm pair that came with it and then go to my Meade 26mm SP for a lower power and brighter exit pupil on DSO. Much lower than that will start to vignette I believe.

• Rustler46 likes this

#3 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

As you are finding out, one can spend a bunch of money on BVer EP's. Then there is all the changups in the field, twice the hassle as in mono viewing. 

I have a one word solution to all that, which will provide something you cannot get from standard EP pairs- INFINITE number of FL's from 8-24mm and zero lost time changing EP pairs. Not to mention saved $$$.

ZOOMS

CS
Bob

• Rustler46 likes this

#4 Procyon

Procyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

I feel like getting another binoviewer again and am having the same thoughts, which eyepiece pair or pairs to go with this time with the same scope as yours (CPC 1100). I've tried and had about 10 different pairs so it would be a bit easier this time. Wish I could use zooms, but they're not made for me.

I'm thinking of going with a pair of 19mm Pans, 20mm ES 68's or a pair of 21mm 3D Astronomy L-O-A Neutral Eyepieces, a pair of 26mm Super Meade Plossls and a pair of 32mm Tak Abbe Orthos and see what happens.

The pairs that worked best for me with a 6 & 8" scope, were a pair of 25mm TV Plossls and 13mm T6 Naglers. The 18mm Tak LE's were not so bad, 17.3mm Delos just a tad too wide for me in the end. 14 Radians, not really usable, same with the 16mm Naglers. 

The Agena SWA's do look very attractive at those prices and focal lengths.

I wonder what the outcome using these would be Masuyama 1.25" Eyepiece with 85° AFOV - 16mm.

I better stay out of the Binoviewing forums before I go eyepiece coco again.......

Edited by Procyon, 16 May 2019 - 02:07 PM.

#5 austin.grant

austin.grant

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:22 PM

As you are finding out, one can spend a bunch of money on BVer EP's. Then there is all the changups in the field, twice the hassle as in mono viewing. 

I have a one word solution to all that, which will provide something you cannot get from standard EP pairs- INFINITE number of FL's from 8-24mm and zero lost time changing EP pairs. Not to mention saved $$$.

ZOOMS

CS
Bob

Thanks Bob, but I'm turned off by narrow AFOV at the wide ends of the zoom EPs. Even the Baader at it's best AFOV doesn't get to 70°, and at 24mm it's a lowly 50°  The cheaper zooms are drastically worse. 

I don't want an infinite number of FL's, I want 3 FL's with a wider AFOV. And time changing EP's is negligible. Do people really stress out over the 60-seconds it takes to swap two eyepieces?

As for saving money, I could buy two of all 3 eyepieces I mentioned for less than a single Baader zoom. 

• Procyon and Rustler46 like this

#6 austin.grant

austin.grant

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:24 PM

I feel like getting another binoviewer again and am having the same thoughts, which eyepiece pair or pairs to go with this time with the same scope as yours (CPC 1100). I've tried and had about 10 different pairs so it would be a bit easier this time. Wish I could use zooms, but they're not made for me.

I'm thinking of going with a pair of 19mm Pans, 20mm ES 68's or a pair of 21mm 3D Astronomy L-O-A Neutral Eyepieces, a pair of 26mm Super Meade Plossls and a pair of 32mm Tak Abbe Orthos and see what happens.

The pairs that worked best for me with a 6 & 8" scope, were a pair of 25mm TV Plossls and 13mm T6 Naglers. The 18mm Tak LE's were not so bad, 17.3mm Delos just a tad too wide for me in the end. 14 Radians, not really usable, same with the 16mm Naglers. 

The Agena SWA's do look very attractive at those prices and focal lengths.

I wonder what the outcome using these would be Masuyama 1.25" Eyepiece with 85° AFOV - 16mm.

I better stay out of the Binoviewing forums before I go eyepiece coco again.......

I've got some 82° and 100° EP's, but I find them a bit too wide for binoviewing. I really feel like 68-70° is the sweet spot for my use. 

• Rustler46 likes this

#7 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Surveyor 1

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

Thanks Bob, but I'm turned off by narrow AFOV at the wide ends of the zoom EPs. Even the Baader at it's best AFOV doesn't get to 70°, and at 24mm it's a lowly 50°  The cheaper zooms are drastically worse. 

I don't want an infinite number of FL's, I want 3 FL's with a wider AFOV. And time changing EP's is negligible. Do people really stress out over the 60-seconds it takes to swap two eyepieces?

As for saving money, I could buy two of all 3 eyepieces I mentioned for less than a single Baader zoom. 

Wow, OK, didn't know they were that inexpensive !

For me, the main reason I like the zooms is that I can on-the-fly grab the exact max magnification the target will bear, which allows me to take advantage short moments of superb seeing. FOV doesn't matter that much to me for my typical BVing targets ie moon, planets, other small bright objects.

I have another bino project going for the wide-field/DSO stuff...

CS
Bob

• Rustler46 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics