•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nice Moon viewing off my deck

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Weston, WI. USA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:29 AM

After moving last August to my new place, with a really nice deck (two levels), I finally got my scope out on my deck. I used my tripod on it and surprisingly there aren't a lot of vibrations that don't dampen out quickly. I'm going to eventually isolate the mount from the deck, but for now the view was nice and convenient.

The part of the sky where the Moon and planets pass through is, for the most part, open. I have a few trees that get in the way, but I can just take a break and wait for the Moon and planets to pass by them. Although when the Moon is high enough it passes over the tree tops entirely all the way across. 

Last night as I was viewing the Moon, a jet passed through the view, silhouetted against the backdrop of the craters I was looking at. I didn't get an image of that, but you can see the contrail in the pic below, in the upper left. 

60541468_10206318842486610_8941601742487

Edited by MarkMittlesteadt, 16 May 2019 - 09:30 AM.

• frank5817, Lewis Cason, John_Moore and 1 other like this

#2 bobito

bobito

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Litchfield County, CT

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

I viewed from my deck this winter for the first time (Ha viewing the Sun) and was surprised how little I noticed any vibration.  But that was all under 100x, so may have been more noticable if I was pushing the magnification.

#3 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Weston, WI. USA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:36 AM

I was at about 150X and would have pushed it further but the clouds were coming in and it was getting a bit hazy. This vibration was with my tripod on the deck. 

6f106c_64e1f94158ff414f82b9b27590bd44ee~

The vertical railing post (right next to my mount in the pic below) is isolated from the upper decking floor (although still attached to the framework support underneath) and completely isolated from the lower, larger deck (separate support framework for the two deck levels). I'm going to make a wooden mounting plate to attach to that vertical post so I can use my scope/mount without the tripod and see if it minimizes it further. Worst case, I'll just have a pier come up through a hole in the deck from the ground below (about 5 1/2 feet to the ground underneath). 

The previous owner must have just built another full raised deck next to the existing lower deck because the upper deck isn't really attached to the lower. Just right next to each other. 

6f106c_2876240d947c4f27a096608d99b917a9~

• Lewis Cason likes this

#4 Ericcurry

Ericcurry

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 10 July 2019 - 10:40 PM

It bothers me for days when I see something really photogenic and opportunistic-and miss it.  It's too bad you did not get that shot of the jet passing in front of the moon.  Still you would have to be completely set up and just wait and scan the sky for hours or days or longer.  It's not realistic to do so of course.  Still... it would have been a great shot.

I like your set up. It looks super high tech and computerized.  I have a 40 year old Quantum 6.  It super sharp but does Not Have any go to abilities.  I do sort of imagine it would be fun to have that capability.

regards. Eric

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics