•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Whirlpool Galaxy (M51) & neighbours in Hα/lrgb

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

One of the most common targets.

I use it every year to check my improvements on hardware and test my processing skills also.

It's only a process of 60% of the taken frames, only the best are used with close to 24 hours of final integration.

All data is from the current year, it not was an integration with frames with other equipment.

UPDATE May 17th, new balance colour process:

Whirlpool-Galaxy-M51-20190509-HaLRGB-v2-

here the original post image:

whirlpool-galaxy-m51-neighbours-in-h%CE%

All technical info of the capture at astrobin:

http://www.astrobin.com/404991

any kind of comment will be welcome laugh.gif

Edited by carballada, 17 May 2019 - 04:34 AM.

• elmiko, WarmWeatherGuy, BenKolt and 10 others like this

#2 stargazer60

stargazer60

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Texas

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:24 AM

Beautiful image, thank you for sharing it with us.

#3 tomlindquist

tomlindquist

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:44 AM

Simply Awesome!  

#4 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:04 PM

Beautiful image, thank you for sharing it with us.

A pleasure, thank you to comment!

#5 flt158

flt158

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:21 PM

Sensational image from Spain!

Do you know how far from your northern horizon was M51 at the time?

Not to worry if you cannot find out. 

I am only wondering. 

Thank you, Carballada. 

Aubrey. 

#6 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

Jose,

That's a beautiful image but the color balance doesn't look quite right.  On my screen, the core region has a greenish cast and the overall balance is too blue.

John

• ezwheels likes this

#7 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:20 AM

Jose,

That's a beautiful image but the color balance doesn't look quite right.  On my screen, the core region has a greenish cast and the overall balance is too blue.

John

Thank you John for your advice, you are completely right, to much blue!! 

I reviewed my monitor colour calibration and I reprocessed all the colour balance in the image, resulting to this new version.

I hope you like it!

Edited by carballada, 17 May 2019 - 04:40 AM.

#8 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

Sensational image from Spain!

Do you know how far from your northern horizon was M51 at the time?

Not to worry if you cannot find out. 

I am only wondering. 

Thank you, Carballada. 

Aubrey. 

Not a problem at all.

Here you see the Astroplanner graphics (CET time), we are lucky at 42º :D

screenshot-59.png

• flt158 likes this

#9 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:06 AM

Thank you John for your advice, you are completely right, to much blue!! 

I reviewed my monitor colour calibration and I reprocessed all the colour balance in the image, resulting to this new version.

I hope you like it!

Jose,

That is definitely closer (and I do like it;) however, allow me to provide some thoughts on color balance.  Whenever I process an image, I stare at the screen for hours as I work through all the steps.  A lot of times I get through the color calibration process and it's common to arrive at a result that I really like.  At that point, I try to put the image aside and look at it again the next day.  I look at it during the daytime and at night.  Then I look at it on my iPad and (sometimes) my phone, but most important, I compare it to images that others have taken.  It's usually during that period that I realize that my eyeballs have been fooled and my colors are really "off."  I can't even begin to tell you how many times I actually start over again to see what went wrong and to try to figure out if there is anything I can do to produce a more "natural" appearance to the colors.  If you look at my images, you'll see that I tend to favor slightly more saturated colors but that doesn't matter--what matters is getting the color balance "right."  And...if you do the color calibration steps properly, your resulting image will often be pretty close--requiring only minor tweaks to get thing where you want them.

Take a look at the colors in this image:  https://www.astrobin...6599/F/?nc=user.  First you'll see that most of the stars in the field don't have a blue/violet hue.  You should also see that the yellows are more pure with tinges of orange in a few regions.  This is an example of what I look for after I've processed an image to make sure that my eyes didn't become a bit color blind while I worked through the processing.

At this point, I hope that you can see that your color balance still needs work.  I don't know how you are doing your color calibration but it should involve setting both the black balance and the white balance.  When you get it right, the correct colors should pop out fairly easily.   You've got some nice looking data and I think that if you keep working on it, it's a good data set for learning to better color calibrate your results.  Frankly, this is one of the harder things to get dialed in as you learn to process images...and I struggle with it all the time myself.  

Good luck with it!

John

• pfile likes this

#10 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

Jose,

That is definitely closer (and I do like it;) however, allow me to provide some thoughts on color balance.  Whenever I process an image, I stare at the screen for hours as I work through all the steps.  A lot of times I get through the color calibration process and it's common to arrive at a result that I really like.  At that point, I try to put the image aside and look at it again the next day.  I look at it during the daytime and at night.  Then I look at it on my iPad and (sometimes) my phone, but most important, I compare it to images that others have taken.  It's usually during that period that I realize that my eyeballs have been fooled and my colors are really "off."  I can't even begin to tell you how many times I actually start over again to see what went wrong and to try to figure out if there is anything I can do to produce a more "natural" appearance to the colors.  If you look at my images, you'll see that I tend to favor slightly more saturated colors but that doesn't matter--what matters is getting the color balance "right."  And...if you do the color calibration steps properly, your resulting image will often be pretty close--requiring only minor tweaks to get thing where you want them.

Take a look at the colors in this image:  https://www.astrobin...6599/F/?nc=user.  First you'll see that most of the stars in the field don't have a blue/violet hue.  You should also see that the yellows are more pure with tinges of orange in a few regions.  This is an example of what I look for after I've processed an image to make sure that my eyes didn't become a bit color blind while I worked through the processing.

At this point, I hope that you can see that your color balance still needs work.  I don't know how you are doing your color calibration but it should involve setting both the black balance and the white balance.  When you get it right, the correct colors should pop out fairly easily.   You've got some nice looking data and I think that if you keep working on it, it's a good data set for learning to better color calibrate your results.  Frankly, this is one of the harder things to get dialed in as you learn to process images...and I struggle with it all the time myself.  

Good luck with it!

John

Thank you a lot for all your detailed explanation. I appreciate that.

I will follow all your advises and I will process entirely all the data from the beginning of the process again.

I did mistakes on the rgb stretch, for this last version presented on the post only I changed the final balance for a fast evaluation.

Part of the problem it was a not really good monitor calibration used on the rgb stretch (and not check the balance results in other monitors), also I suffer (like many times) problems with the colour profiles on the final file and how are working on the different screens (like you I try to check on different platforms the final image) but it wasn't all the problem.

I think that my original rgb data is not totally good and of course I need to do a really good balance there (at the origin) and repeat all the other steps....

Really I like my lum data.. but I need to rework more all the process.

thank you again John

#11 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

Jose,

The Luminance detail and depth is outstanding. I like the outer halo that you brought out. I would say this color is close when comparing to the color data of DSS. As you and John are discussing, there is some tweaking in the core area you can work on, but in general,  I like the image very much.

#12 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:08 PM

Jose,
The Luminance detail and depth is outstanding. I like the outer halo that you brought out. I would say this color is close when comparing to the color data of DSS. As you and John are discussing, there is some tweaking in the core area you can work on, but in general, I like the image very much.

Thank you Jim, thank you so much
Now I am reworking all the process. I will post the results soon.

#13 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

After some work I ended the new version, completely rebuild from scratch, all process was done again.

Whirlpool-Galaxy-M51-20190521-HaLRGB-v3-

I hope you like it. smile.gif

I try to update the initial post also, but it's not possible because is too old.....

Edited by carballada, 06 June 2019 - 04:45 AM.

#14 javier_gl

javier_gl

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madrid - Spain

Posted 05 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

Much better now, Carballada.

Previous versions of the image showed dimmed stars and poor contras over the galaxy.

Cheers,

#15 Startex

Startex

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

They're all incredible, but that last one is NUTS!! How long have you been imaging?

#16 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

Much better now, Carballada.

Previous versions of the image showed dimmed stars and poor contras over the galaxy.

Cheers,

Thank you Javier!!

#17 carballada

carballada

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

They're all incredible, but that last one is NUTS!! How long have you been imaging?

Thank you! Since I take this more seriously three years more or less, but always improving the equipment very fast and burning hours and hours of learning.. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics