•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IPolar + iOptron Sky Guider Pro help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NicholasAlbert

NicholasAlbert

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

Hey everyone, 

I am am new to astrophotography and just got my first mount with the optional iPolar scope. I received both the other day and installed the iPolar myself, then went out shooting that evening. Everything worked fine but I noticed that the USB cable on the iPolar was in an odd position, so I took the iPolar back out and adjusted it accordingly. 

I went back back out last night, and noticed I started getting star trails after about 30 seconds at 200mm. The night before, I was shooting 3 minute 30 second exposures with no problem at 200 mm. 

I updated my lat/lon in the software, I reconfirmed the positions on the mount, and did my best to align it using the software but no matter what I did I could not get a good track. 

What could be be causing this? Would not being pointed perfectly north cause this, or does the software account for that when you’re aligning on screen? Does the tripod need to be perfectly level? Or is it possible that I messed something up on the second install/ adjustment? Any help is greatly appreciated, I am completely new to all of this and not sure where I am going wrong. If anyone could lend some advice on what might help or be causing this I would appreciate it. 

Thank you you in advance. 

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:30 AM

Lots of things could cause it, unfortunately.  So it's hard to say "it's this."

Even with perfectl polar alignment, your load could have been unbalanced causing some tracking error.  You could have been set up on soft ground, and have your tripod sink a bit over time.  The seeing could have simply been really lousy.  Several other possibilities.

Can you post one of the images that show the elongated stars?  That at least would let us figure out if the trailing is in RA or DEC or both, which could give us some clues...

#3 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

Did you recalibrate the iPolar after you reinstalled it?  

#4 NicholasAlbert

NicholasAlbert

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:14 AM

I will get the photos from the two nights posted as soon as I get back home. 

I did did try to recalibrate it, I did it 2 or 3 times trying to solve the problems and I couldn’t figure it out. It may have been the counterweight not being aligned properly, i am not really certain. I did notice that when the mount was off but the iPolar was on that the red circle would move outside of the cross on screen, I figured it was because it wasn’t actively tracking though. After one shot the circle and cross would be misaligned again, which was causing some concern for me as well because the tracker was active at that point 

#5 NicholasAlbert

NicholasAlbert

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:15 AM

By couldn’t figure it out, I mean that I recalibrated it but it didn’t solve the problem. Sorry I should have been more clear 

#6 NicholasAlbert

NicholasAlbert

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:16 PM

Here is the link to the photo, it will take you to my website, it was the easiest way I could figure out to get the full resolution view: View Photo

The settings are as follows:

127 Seconds (the longest exposure I could get before trails became clearly apparent) 

ISO 800

f 6.3 

200 MM

Nikon D810 

Thank you again for your help on this, I am really just trying to make sure that my tracker is working correctly, and figuring out how to use it or what I am doing wrong that is making it trail like this. 

Edited by NicholasAlbert, 16 May 2019 - 08:34 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics