•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

5" Celestron NexStar is better than 8" ?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 Poconut

Poconut

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pocono Mountains, PA, USA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:16 PM

Continue your lifestyle another ten years, and it won't be. 4.gif Best to start lifting weights NOW!

I have higher standards. I have found Nexstar 8s something of a pain to work with.

In another 10 years, if still active in the hobby, my scopes will be permanently mounted so no issues there.  But trust me the 8" is not a heavy bulkly thing to move around at will ... and as previously stated, I am certainly not a strong person.  The 14" is a totally different animal.  Why have you found the 8se a pain to work with?  Details please and don't leave us hanging.  I've found it a pleasure to use in all aspects except for the slightly shakey mount, but that is where a little patience comes in.

Edited by Poconut, 20 July 2019 - 07:17 PM.

#52 Peter Besenbruch

Peter Besenbruch

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Oahu

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:24 PM

Why have you found the 8se a pain to work with?

Focusing is the biggest pain. Three seconds damp time is too long.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#53 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:43 PM

Bill - do you have the whole line at hand or what makes you believe that 11" for instance has a 95 mm mirror housing and not the mirror itself. Why would Celestron keep publishing wrong data for the 8" and not the others?

Sometime in the past, they spec'd the mirror at 34%-35%.  

Jon

• JP-Astro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics