•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Ts 102 F/7 apo refractor

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:26 PM

Hi everybody,

I bought a new scope. Because i like my recently 70 mm F/6 scope with FPL 51 that much i decide to go up to a 102 mm.

This one is a TS 102 mm F/7 with FPL53 and a lathanum lens, so a doublet.

It arrived this week and i had the change to test it on the moon.

Some things :

At lower powers in 82° eyepieces such as the 26T5 and ES 24 it shows some color on the moon.

But with a 4 mm eye pieces giving a whooping 178x it shows no color at all,not at the left side nor the right.

This is better then in my 70 mm FPL 51 scope. I am starting to think that the low powers is more a latteral color effect.

Could this be true?

Sofar this scope really impresses me. Fit and finish is exquisite, with a retractable dewcap which can be set with 3 small hex screws, a superb 2.5 inch focuser that can cope with a heavy eyepiece and diagonal without any issue, ,nice white painting, much travel in the focuser.Really nice scope clamps ,which work smooth .All CNC engineered , real nice. Even a metal lens cap with soft stuff inside the cap...

Sofar i am really thrilled with it, could boost it to around 250x with still an amazing moon image.Considering the 102 mm aperture this really surprised me....

There are only first impression , i really have to test it further on planets and double stars in the future but i am pretty convinced it will not dissapoint me

• Jon Isaacs, SteveG, plyscope and 5 others like this

#2 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

picture

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0482 (Medium).JPG

• rustynpp, stevew, BravoFoxtrot and 7 others like this

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:54 PM

When checking for false color at low magnifications, have you centered the part you're looking at? Eyepieces can very easily introduce lateral color that can fringe the Moon, if you've centered the Moon at low power and keep it there, while looking at the limb. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#4 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

When checking for false color at low magnifications, have you centered the part you're looking at? Eyepieces can very easily introduce lateral color that can fringe the Moon, if you've centered the Moon at low power and keep it there, while looking at the limb. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

indeed i forgot to mention i see this color only at the edges or off axis , if the  moon is centered no color is seen.it is also more visible in the wide 82° eyepieces not so or almost not in a 68° low power eyepiece.

So my assumption is right.

It is amazing that a doublet like this at 178x is color free , well it amazes me...to be honest i did not expected...

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 17 May 2019 - 03:37 PM.

• Astrojensen likes this

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:32 PM

Also known as the Access 102 by Stellarvue her in the states (they use FCD100). Reports on the 102 all seem to be very good!

• gene 4181 and Tyson M like this

#6 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:45 PM

Congrats on the new scope. It's a beauty!

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

Also known as the Access 102 by Stellarvue her in the states (they use FCD100). Reports on the 102 all seem to be very good!

Indeed ,it really amazes me. It is not cheap but you can not call it expensive either.

Amazing what you can get these days a reasonable prices.

Boy , when i was a youngster this was not  the case!

• Jon Isaacs and SteveG like this

#8 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

Congrats on the new scope. It's a beauty!

thanks!

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

i've seen also a review  from a German guy that makes pictures with it, long exposure. He claims no CA in his pictures. It  is in German unfortunately so i guess most users here  will not benefit the review, should i post the link....

Unbelievable pictures of M31, he needed an exposure time of 2 h and 12 minutes on a heavy kind of a EQ6 mount,

#10 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

Indeed ,it really amazes me. It is not cheap but you can not call it expensive either.

Amazing what you can get these days a reasonable prices.

Boy , when i was a youngster this was not  the case!

Now Stellervue offers the 125mm Access in a premium model the SVX 125D hand figured to .98 to .996 strehl for $2,595.  Might be my next scope.

• SteveG likes this

#11 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

The color you see at low powers likely originates from the eyepieces and/or eye placement. Enjoy your new scope! .

• BFaucett likes this

#12 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Erik

#13 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Now Stellervue offers the 125mm Access in a premium model the SVX 125D hand figured to .98 to .996 strehl for $2,595.  Might be my next scope.

Go for it ,from what i've seen you won't regret it...smile.gif

#14 paul

paul

Viking 1

• Loc: pa

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:14 PM

Hey not to get off topic but how do you like that mount?
I have my Tak fc100df on mine and it’s a little shaky.

#15 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

If the scope has chromatic aberration, you are going to see more as the power increases. So I'd also bet that you are seeing color from the eyepieces--probably yellows or blues?

Congrats on the new scope!

#16 Traveler

Traveler

Soyuz

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:08 PM

Freddy, good luck with your TS, it sure looks good.

#17 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:57 AM

Hey not to get off topic but how do you like that mount?
I have my Tak fc100df on mine and it’s a little shaky.

I see what you mean.

I like the mount but it has an arm that is not stiff enough. Now for short tubes this is no problem, i would not hesitate to put a 6 inch mak or even a 8 inch SCT on it because it can handle the weight but am i convinced it would not be a good idea to put a long say 3 inch F/10 or F12 scope on it even if it was half of the weight of the scope i am using it now with.

There is  lateral movement and that becomes an issue with longer tubes

I saw here years ago a post from a guy that reinforced the arm with metal plates he screwed together to get the arm stiffer.

He claimed it work well...and i think it was a good idea.

#18 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:59 AM

If the scope has chromatic aberration, you are going to see more as the power increases. So I'd also bet that you are seeing color from the eyepieces--probably yellows or blues?

Congrats on the new scope!

Yes indeed, it is lateral color from the eyepieces. I am convinced as at high power that color is gone, and if it was CA just the opposite would be true

#19 denis0007dl

denis0007dl

Binoviewers Expert

• Vendors
  • Loc: Umag, Croatia, Europe

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:13 AM

Beautifull scope, congrats on it!

#20 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:25 AM

Thanks Denis

#21 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:13 AM

Hi Freddy,

Is the scope the Photoline version? I see that TS or astroshop.eu have it in two versions, the ED and the more expensive Photoline. The ED shown in the shop has a different focuser end, without the white extension between the tube and the focuser. 

In any case, this is a very nice refractor and if you say it can be pushed up to high power for planets, It is a very good option to replace both my mak90 and 102 f/5 !!

here is the one i mentioned with the short end:

https://www.teleskop...-P-focuser.html

Carlos

#22 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

Hi Freddy,

Is the scope the Photoline version? I see that TS or astroshop.eu have it in two versions, the ED and the more expensive Photoline. The ED shown in the shop has a different focuser end, without the white extension between the tube and the focuser. 

In any case, this is a very nice refractor and if you say it can be pushed up to high power for planets, It is a very good option to replace both my mak90 and 102 f/5 !!

here is the one i mentioned with the short end:

https://www.teleskop...-P-focuser.html

Carlos

It is the photoline yes i bought

https://www.teleskop...5--Focuser.html

There are indeed 2 versions one with FPL 51 and a more expensive one with FPL53 wich i have

I have another scope 70 mm F/6 ED with FPL51. Thatone shows color, but it is very well controlled, and you see it almost only when an object is not in focus.

But this one too i could to 120x with ease even more....

Thrilled allready with that little scope made go for the bigger 102 mm . I wanna sell my orion optics and concentrate more on my refractors fore more observing but with quicker setup and almost no cooling down time.And observe double stars. Refractors give more refined image for that stuff

Also i want to make some 'simple' photograps with a DSLR.

I have allready a nice moonshot with the 70 mm F/6

And after all for deepsky i still have my obsession 18" which shows ALOT more then a 8 inch newt.

Indeed in the TS102 i could get easily 178x with a tack sharp image. I even tried it with Barlow. Off course too much but still an image. I unscrewed the Barlow from the adapter and putted it in 4 mm.

That got me perhaps something between well say 180x en 250x still a sharp image....

So i bought today a 3 mm eyepiece...not an expensive one but i think i will use in frequently in my TS, for the moon and maybe planets bur surely for double stars.

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 21 May 2019 - 12:31 PM.

• Corcaroli78 likes this

#23 JimOfOakCreek

JimOfOakCreek

Ranger 4

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

I have a year old Access. Mine uses FPL53 and Lanthanum, a terrific scope. I only wish Stellarvue would engrave the lens formula on the lens cell. 

Older Access use FPL53. Newer Access use FCD 100. How do you know which is used when buying a second hand scope? I guess you call Stellarvue.

• SteveG likes this

#24 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:46 PM

Will it matter? Abbe numbers for FPL53 or FCD 100 are almost equal....

• rustynpp, eros312 and mrsjeff like this

#25 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:32 AM

It is the photoline yes i bought

Hi Freddy,

Now is clear for me. As i am looking for a uncomplicated refractor setup under 6 kg incl. diagonal and EP, I saw the 102 f/7 ED with FPL 51 (ca. 600€)  as an improvement of my current setup for casual observations.  I can expect a different performance, maybe not as good as your Photoline, but surely better that my current setup, If i can go up to 150x in planets, i am fine. I will order one this Autumn and will see. 

Many thanks and clear skies!

Carlos

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics