•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion VersaGo Mount for 72mm f6 Refractor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:22 PM

I'm considering the Orion VersaGo mount for a portable alt-az setup for my Sky Watcher 72mm f6 refractor. What do you think? Is it a decent performing mount? I mean, the thing is only $179. Is it portable enough? The mount is 13lbs. Not too heavy. It sort of appeals to me because I might eventually get an Orion 120mm f5 refractor and I was thinking that the VersaGo might perform double duty in the future. 

• Jond105 likes this

#2 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:56 PM

Do you mean the Orion VersaGo II mount?  If yes, then no problem.  It can handle a lot more than that.  Great mount for the price,  better than the Vixen porta II  mount in terms of handling weight 

• Jond105 likes this

#3 Jond105

Jond105

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Detroit

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:03 PM

Why not, I love posting pictures of this mount. This has become my most used mount. Not with the aluminum legs, but I’m sure even with those and the scope you’re thinking of will work just fine. I think it was reading old threads with tony in it that really helped push me towards this mount

Attached Thumbnails

• 94646053-AB06-40ED-95DD-72F430D55A91.jpeg

#4 jeffmac

jeffmac

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Triad area, NC

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:14 PM

Do you mean the Orion VersaGo II mount?  If yes, then no problem.  It can handle a lot more than that.  Great mount for the price,  better than the Vixen porta II  mount in terms of handling weight 

Yes, I'm sorry...the VersaGo II.

#5 jaraxx

jaraxx

Ranger 4

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:53 PM

it's absolutely portable enough and will hold that scope with no problems.

#6 tony_spina

tony_spina

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

Yes, I'm sorry...the VersaGo II.

You will really like this mount.  It also has  settings circle to find objects. Use a program like Sky Safari to tell you the Alt az coordinates.

Since you are in the Northern Hemisphere you will need to flip the setting ring upside down.  Very easy to do.  Just unscrew the big azimuth knob, take it off and the washers, flip the ring, put everything back.

To use point your scope to a known object like a bright star or planet. Center that object in the eyepiece while looking up the alt-az coordinates.  Now rotate the azimuth settings ring to align with the arrow to the value, for example 215 degrees.  Now note the altitude. You may be off a few degrees if you are not level or if the altitude sticker is a little off. Let’s say you are off by 2 degrees higher on the sticker 

Now comes the fun part.  Your mount is aligned.  Let’s say you want to find M13.  Lookup the alt-az coordinates for M13. Manually move the scope until the readings on the mounts azimuth match, for the altitude sticker you will add  2 degrees

If you are using a low power eyepiece M13 should be in your view, if not it will be very close by outside the edge of eyepiece view 

• Rainguy, jeffmac and kksmith like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics