•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is this part of my new old Jason?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:55 PM

20190517_192538.jpg

Can someone kindly tell me what this is?  It came with my new Jason and I have no idea what it is for. Looks like some kind of tray but the clamshell doesn't fit anything in the box. 

#2 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

• Loc: So. Cal.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

It's for solar projection.   The ring is mounted on the focus tube

• Ken Sturrock and Ihtegla Sar like this

#3 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

Hi Steve!  Its a solar  screen which can be clamped  to the draw tube just forward of the diagonal for projecting the sun's image onto. Gary

#4 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:06 PM

Thanks! So it turns the telescope into a shadow box with the diagnol pointed down for safety. I never would have figured that out on my own.

Unfortunately the clamshell doesn't fit the drawtube since its a bit too large but that's okay since the rest of the scope works well and I probably won't be messing with the solar screen anyway but good to know what it is used for.

Edited by Ihtegla Sar, 17 May 2019 - 10:07 PM.

#5 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Soyuz

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:17 PM

I had to make my own, but here is one attached to my Jason 311.

img120.jpg

#6 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:21 PM

The projection screen is surprisingly useful for solar outreach because nobody can just look with their eyes anymore; they also have to take a picture with their telephones. It's much easier for them to take a picture of the screen than to line their phone up through an eyepiece. You can also look at the image as a group and talk about it, together.

Attached Thumbnails

• eclipse_831.JPG

• Kasmos and jcruse64 like this

#7 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:36 PM

The projection screen is surprisingly useful for solar outreach because nobody can just look with their eyes anymore; they also have to take a picture with their telephones. It's much easier for them to take a picture of the screen than to line their phone up through an eyepiece. You can also look at the image as a group and talk about it, together.

Well, maybe I will have to give the screen a new coat of paint (it's pretty faded and somewhat unevenly) and make a felt and cardboard spacer so it will clamp down tight on the drawtube, so I can give it a try.

#8 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:41 PM

Well, maybe I will have to give the screen a new coat of paint (it's pretty faded and somewhat unevenly) and make a felt and cardboard spacer so it will clamp down tight on the drawtube, so I can give it a try.

Try a flat white. Make sure you wet sand with ultra fine grit sandpaper.   You want a glass finish so you can see fine details 

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#9 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:47 PM

Try a flat white. Make sure you wet sand with ultra fine grit sandpaper. You want a glass finish so you can see fine details

So you can see fine details with a shadow screen on a small refractor? The only time I used one was a shoebox eclipse viewer, which don't show a lot of detail. I've also looked at the sun with a C-8 and a Thousand Oaks filter, but that didn't show much detail either if I recall, was many years ago.

#10 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Messenger

• Loc: Batavia

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:20 AM

attachicon.gif 20190517_192538.jpg

Can someone kindly tell me what this is?  It came with my new Jason and I have no idea what it is for. Looks like some kind of tray but the clamshell doesn't fit anything in the box. 

What is that made of? Is it something simple that I can DIY?

#11 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:40 AM

What is that made of? Is it something simple that I can DIY?

The screen is some kind of sheet metal. The clamshell and shaft is metal too.

#12 Kasmos

Kasmos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:05 AM

If yours doesn't already have felt in it, that's likely why it didn't fit. When they are new they have felt, but it can fall off from the glue drying out over time. It happen to one of mine.

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#13 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:10 AM

If yours doesn't already have felt in it, that's likely why it didn't fit. When they are new they have felt, but it can fall off from the glue drying out over time. It happen to one of mine.

It has felt, but it's still too big to clamp tightly on the draw tube. It possibly needs something stiffer like cardbord to fill the gap because the gap is fairly large, but I would want felt inside the cardboard to protect the drawtube.
  • Kasmos likes this

#14 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:42 AM

So it turns out that the clam shell for the solar screen is sized to fit the main focuser tube but on the Jason, the main focuser tube doesn't have enough space between the track for the focuser and the end of the focuser tube to fit. Also, the Jason focuser has a sliding draw tube that is smaller than the focuser tube, and the clam shell is too small for that. Since the scope came without a box and had some eyepieces and an extra (1.25") focuser that weren't original with the scope, I suspect this particular solar screen might have come from a different scope.

I will have to find a solar screen that fits the 1.25" focuser since thats the one I am most likely to use, since I only have one .965 inch eyepiece, a 40mm Meade.

#15 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximénez - NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:37 AM

Unfortunately, it's always something with the classics! I found that the resolution wasn't quite as good on the screen as with an eyepiece, but the image is larger so some smaller things show up more easily. You can certainly see the sun spots. I forgot the specific eyepiece that I used for projecting. It was suitably simple & vintage.

• Ihtegla Sar likes this

#16 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

Yeah, it's always something. Luckily, the rest of the scope is functioning well and it seemed to star test well last night during the five minute sucker hole we had. Views of the nearly full moon were as nice as could be through the clouds, until they got too thick to see again. Switching from my ES 11mm 82 to the Kellner that came with the scope still have nice views of the moon.

I didn't even know about the solar filter so I can't complain that it doesn't quite fit, since I got a good deal on a Towa Jason. Thanks for all the help everyone!

#17 StarBurger

StarBurger

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

Just a word of caution here..Don't know the size of your Jason but be aware that a lot of heat can be concentrated into your eyepiece.

Best try with an eyepiece that does not have any cemented lens elements. They can cook quickly .

Don't ask how I know this!  shocked.gif

A solar filter is a better option over the object lens.

#18 tony_spina

tony_spina

Vanguard

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:57 AM

Just a word of caution here..Don't know the size of your Jason but be aware that a lot of heat can be concentrated into your eyepiece.

Best try with an eyepiece that does not have any cemented lens elements. They can cook quickly .

Don't ask how I know this!  shocked.gif

A solar filter is a better option over the object lens.

StarBurger makes an excellent point.   

In the .0965" format you will typically see Huygens, Ramsden,  Kellner, and Orthos.  Don't use Kellner, or Ortho. 

Look on Ebay for cheap H or R eyepieces

#19 Ihtegla Sar

Ihtegla Sar

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

Thanks. I will be mostly usung 1.25 inch eyepieces since the scope came with a second focuser and I only have one .965 eyepiece. I will make sure whatever I use doesn't have any cement.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics