•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron NexStar 102 SLT ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dakota1

Dakota1

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Burson, Ca.

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:33 PM

Does any here have one of these scopes or used one? I was going to get an EXT 125 but after talking to a lot of people that have it were not real happy with it was not good with DSOs observing. That's one thing I want to have is a good little scope that can do almost anything with GO-TO. After reading a lot about scope I will be

getting an Celestron   NexStar 102SLT. AT my age (79) and a few medical problems I can handle this on with no problem. I still have a few eyepieces form all my older scopes and at one time I had quite a few sold a lot of them. I think this scope is right up my alley

I am looking for feedback on this scope and performance  All feedback will be appreciated.

Bill

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:05 AM

The Nexstar is a top notch GoTo system.

Have used a few 4” refractors (currently have to many) but haven’t used this particular model.

Scott

#3 oshimitsu

oshimitsu

Viking 1

• Loc: Batavia

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:13 AM

I had almost exclusively purchased equipment from Celestron for a long time. I will never purchase another Celestron mount in my life. My avx mount has been sent back 3 times and my CGX was replaced within the first week and has been sent back twice since receiving the new one.

Edited by oshimitsu, 18 May 2019 - 12:14 AM.

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:18 PM

Bill:

I have owned a number of SLT and GT mounts.  They are decent as entry level mounts go but pretty clunky I think.  And the 102 SLT is capable of view fields of view but it is pretty clunky as well.  

I really think the Nexstar 5 SE or the Nexstar 6SE would be a good fit for your needs.

JOn

#5 pdxmoon

pdxmoon

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

I recently purchased the Nexstar 127 Mak package, but I should point out I'm a lunar observer. But the mount more than met my expectations. With the addition of a little weight, I found it excellent on my target. The tracking features are the best part for me. I have only begun to scratch the surface of goto for doubles and things I do not ordinarily observe. 

I think John's suggestion of the 4 of 5SE is a good one. That mount looks slightly different design from wha I have, but I think the SE scopes are lighter than the MAK. I often se SE packages for sale used.

#6 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:32 AM

I have the 102 SLT. I bought it for a quick grab-and-go. It is not bad but you do get what you pay for. The scope does have alot of chromatic aberration and the focuser is really cheap.  But again, you get what you pay for. 

The mount is actually not bad but it takes 8 AA batteries and they don't last long - you definitely will want an alternate power supply.

The scope is nice, but I would probably recommend getting a small SCT or a MAK instead as they are more portable, you will get a bit more aperture and they won't push the low-end mount as much.

#7 watchplanets

watchplanets

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

Its wide field scope. Its light weight portable and good grab and go we call it. It can do abit of everything but not great at everything too. On planets alot false colour and if u wanna see dso it's still only 4 inches.

So again its decent for what it is but depends on what u want it to do

Edited by watchplanets, 13 August 2019 - 02:54 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics