•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C8 HyperStar filter recommendations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GoFish

GoFish

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado/Kentucky

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:36 PM

Just bought a new HyperStar V4 for my C8 (non HD). I plan to use it for EAA with ASI294MC Pro camera.

I’m researching filters. 

My desire is to purchase one filter that gets mounted in the HS (I did not buy the filter slider) and stays there at all times. 

Most of the time I’ll be observing from light-polluted skies, Bortle 6 or so. I primarily enjoy observing galaxies and other broad spectrum objects, with emission nebulae being a close second. 

The filters I frequently see pop up as recommended by CN members:

• IDAS LPS P2
  • IDAS LPS D1 (I think this is also the one Starizona suggests?)
  • IDAS LPS D2 (doesn’t seem to be as much love on CN for this one?)

In addition to these, I am curious about simply using an IR/UV cut filter and letting the camera work it’s EAA magic without any LP suppression from a filter?  And would I be better off anyway with just an IR/UV cut on those rare nights when I observe from a dark sky site?

Finally, I accidentally ended up with 2” Orion SkyGlow Imaging filter a year or so back that I think will fit the HS (I’m aware there is a potential thread pitch issue). This is a zero cost option since I already have it and I’m not opposed to saving $150 to $200 lol.gif

So my full list of options becomes:

• IDAS LPS P2
  • IDAS LPS D1
  • IDAS LPS D2
  • basic IR/UV cut filter (Baader?)
  • Orion SkyGlow Imaging filter

Which of these would be the best option for a leave-it-mounted-in-the-HS filter for my intended use?

#2 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

Just bought a new HyperStar V4 for my C8 (non HD). I plan to use it for EAA with ASI294MC Pro camera.

I’m researching filters. 

My desire is to purchase one filter that gets mounted in the HS (I did not buy the filter slider) and stays there at all times. 

Most of the time I’ll be observing from light-polluted skies, Bortle 6 or so. I primarily enjoy observing galaxies and other broad spectrum objects, with emission nebulae being a close second. 

The filters I frequently see pop up as recommended by CN members:

• IDAS LPS P2
  • IDAS LPS D1 (I think this is also the one Starizona suggests?)
  • IDAS LPS D2 (doesn’t seem to be as much love on CN for this one?)

In addition to these, I am curious about simply using an IR/UV cut filter and letting the camera work it’s EAA magic without any LP suppression from a filter?  And would I be better off anyway with just an IR/UV cut on those rare nights when I observe from a dark sky site?

Finally, I accidentally ended up with 2” Orion SkyGlow Imaging filter a year or so back that I think will fit the HS (I’m aware there is a potential thread pitch issue). This is a zero cost option since I already have it and I’m not opposed to saving $150 to $200 lol.gif

So my full list of options becomes:

• IDAS LPS P2
  • IDAS LPS D1
  • IDAS LPS D2
  • basic IR/UV cut filter (Baader?)
  • Orion SkyGlow Imaging filter

Which of these would be the best option for a leave-it-mounted-in-the-HS filter for my intended use?

Hello,,,,,I used the IDAS LPS D1 for the first time the other night moon bout 3/4 full.  This was recommended by Starizona.  I have the 9.25HD and v4 of the Hyperstar.  I had this setup with my Atik Infinity camera.  I was impressed with the images that came through.  I was able to shoot over the city and was able to pick out 6 galaxies as I was focused on M86.  Previous attempt was just a complete white out no matter what setting I tried.  Now the image was not perfect by far but it still impressed me.  I had done a total of approx. 90sec.   When I put this filter on my T5i canon dslr I was really hopeful,,,,but it did not work,,,,,,M86 was a whiteout.  So now I am back thinking of ordering the ZWO ASI294mc pro.    anyway just my thoughts.  I really am impressed with the D1.  

bec

• GoFish likes this

#3 GoFish

GoFish

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:58 AM

Anyone else have recommendations?

#4 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

I use the IDAS LPS P2. Seems to work well but I have nothing to compare it too (that is, besides no filter at all).

I think it will depend on what wavelengths of LP you are trying to combat. With the growing prevalence of white light LEDs maybe they won't work as well??

These filters are not inexpensive so ideally you would try a few out - maybe you have a club or star party you can try a few at?

#5 GoFish

GoFish

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:26 PM

Thanks, Dave.

Mostly I think I am dealing with sodium and mercury lights.  I'm sure LED's are coming right around the corner, if not already present though.

After the research I did, plus the comments in this thread, plus a conversation with Starizona, plus my belief that I am not dealing with too much LED light, I ended up ordering the IDAS LPS D-1. (I learned today that they shipped the QRO version because of stock shortage of the "plain" D-1). 

I also considered the D-2 and the Optolong L-Pro.  Not really sure why I settled on the D-1 as they all seemed very similar.

#6 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Viking 1

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:37 PM

IDAS LPS P2
IDAS LPS D1
IDAS LPS D2
basic IR/UV cut filter (Baader?)
Orion SkyGlow Imaging filter

I have tried all of those listed and a few more.  For a ZWO Color Cam IDAS LPS P2 worked the best.

The D1  and D2 had to corrected for the lack of Red Balance and way too much Green.  IR/UV is OK to reduce some star bloat but is not a fix it all filter.  Orion Sky Glow is really an UHC Filter that again is hard to color balance correctly like the D1 and D2.

Pat Utah :)

#7 GoFish

GoFish

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:46 PM

I now have a D-1 filter on its way, so it sounds like I may be in the business of color balancing the red and green channels. SharpCap has some ability to do this on the fly. My primary intended use is EAA. 

#8 bec

bec

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:02 PM

I now have a D-1 filter on its way, so it sounds like I may be in the business of color balancing the red and green channels. SharpCap has some ability to do this on the fly. My primary intended use is EAA. 

I was out again 2 nights ago.  We are a bortel 8 area.  The filter for me did an excellent job.  I was using the atik infinity with the D-1 and got some very nice images.  I was able to see the complete bubble in the bubble nebula,  the north American nebula is large and the part I imaged turned out very good.  So for the area I am in this filter worked excellent.  My wife was even impressed with how the images looked,,she even picked out a bat in the NA nebula.  I imaged other ds objects and was pleased.  If I was doing EAA at an event I really think people would have been impressed.  So hope you enjoy.  Again these are just my thoughts on this filter.

bec

• GoFish likes this

#9 GoFish

GoFish

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

I was out again 2 nights ago.  We are a bortel 8 area.  The filter for me did an excellent job.  I was using the atik infinity with the D-1 and got some very nice images.  I was able to see the complete bubble in the bubble nebula,  the north American nebula is large and the part I imaged turned out very good.  So for the area I am in this filter worked excellent.  My wife was even impressed with how the images looked,,she even picked out a bat in the NA nebula.  I imaged other ds objects and was pleased.  If I was doing EAA at an event I really think people would have been impressed.  So hope you enjoy.  Again these are just my thoughts on this filter.

bec

Many thanks for that encouraging report!  My filter arrived in the mail yesterday, so I hope to have a chance to test next week (the weekend forecast does not predict any clear nights -- shocking, I know).

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics