•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can a NexStar + HC replace an older NexStar controller?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drmedjools

drmedjools

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:53 PM

I suspect this has been discussed before but couldn't find it as a sticky topic..

I am using an older CPC1100 with a NexSTar controller.  I got a new motorized focuser from Celestron to make it easier for newbies to focus scope (I teach with it) without vibrations.  While I go the focuser to be controlled with the old Focus Motor Utiliy from Celestron via a PC there's no way to get the NexStar HC to show the 'focus' pull down despite firmware upgrades to HC and MC.

Celestron documents state only NexStar+ and StarSense work with the HC and the Focus motor.  They specifically don't mention NexStar.

So an obvious solution is to upgarde the HC to NexStar+.  Does that work?  My retailer at Orange County Telescopes is asking Celestron.  But no word yet.

Any ideas?

Dr Medjools

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

Yes the "+" HC will work fine. It still may need to be updated to the latest software in order to be able to control the Focuser.

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:40 AM

Get a new or used NexStar+ hand controller (the very latest have a small USB port on the base instead of that small RJ serial port) ... the "type" (or from which scope) the hand controller came from doesn't matter. Have a look at www.nexstarsite.com for more details on downloading the CFM utility and getting the correct cable. Then update the firmware to the latest NXS 5.xx.xxxx (NXS for all alt az scopes) and you are all set to go. 

#4 drmedjools

drmedjools

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

Thanks.  I though so but wanted to make sure.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics