•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron CPC1100 and 14 inch tube counterweights

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 drmedjools

drmedjools

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:59 PM

I'm using an older Celestron CPC1100 for my teaching work and plan to purchase a Celestron C14 next year for my fun and some teaching work.

With cameras and a new 70mm finder scope the balance in the altitude is getting out of hand.

Can someone recommend a tube counterweight system or parts that would work on both Celestron tubes?  Celestron doesn't seem to sell these and while Meade does there no guaranty that the screw holes on the hardware would correspond on the Celestron tubes.

Any ideas or recommendations?  Would I need different systems for the 11 or 14 inch tubes?

Dr Medjools

#2 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:51 AM

You can use the same weights but both OTA's would need their speciific "rails".

I'm not sure why you need one for the C14 it mounts on a GEM which the OTA can be moved accordingly to balance?

#3 drmedjools

drmedjools

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

Good point on the C14 since I was expecting to get the GEM model and not the alt az.  Can you recommend a model for the alt az C11?

Dr Medjools

#4 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

I have this which came with  my C11 Forkmount that I bought it used

ADM offers a cheaper solution using this and this.

#5 drmedjools

drmedjools

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:50 PM

Thanks Hubble!  I saw the ADM model but seeing the full kit confirms that's what we'll need.

Dr. Medjools

#6 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Apollo

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 19 May 2019 - 12:08 PM

Dedicated weights for long term use can be had by simply buying the stick-on wheel weights use for car/truck rims.  Or for fine balancing of the forks on the CPC1100.  Typically you'll balance the OTA front to back on the fork and add a bit of EAST-balance to help the worm gear backlash engagement.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics