•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Adding 2" filter for EAA (and visual?) on EdgeHD8?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 synfinatic

synfinatic

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 18 May 2019 - 03:37 PM

So I'm looking for ideas/suggestions for the best/most effective way to add a 2" filter for my EdgeHD 8".  I currently use the EdgeHD for both visual (mostly 2" EP's) and EAA. When I was just doing visual, I'd screw the 2" filter directly onto the EP nose or to the nose of the 2" diagonal.

Now that I've started doing some EAA, I'm looking fo ways to add a filter.  Right now I use a Stellarvue T-thread to 2" visual adapter (https://www.highpoin...o-2inch-focuser) into a Baader click-lock 2" SCT visual back adapter.  While the t-thread to 2" adapter has threads for a 2" filter, it will not fully insert into the click-lock clamp which seems really sketchy.

So now I'm thinking about something like adding a Baader UFC filter system.  That has a lot of options for mounting.  In theory, looks like I could place it between the back of the scope and Baader click-lock.  That way I could use it for both visual & EAA.  The other option is just use it for EAA and have it mount to the T-thread adapter.

I see 4 different options right now:

1. If I mounted it between the scope and click-lock for both visual and EAA, that means the optical path got longer for everything, which IIRC, means the scope is going to be slightly slower and a narrower FoV?

2. Putting it after the t-thread adapter means I'd have a few options- including just using T-2 M & F threads and use it in place of one of my existing spacers. 

3. Since the t-thread adapter is two pieces, I could put it in place of the SCT thread to T-thread spacer.

4. Get two different male thread parts for the UFC and do options #1 for visual and #3 for EAA.

Of course these last two options means I could only use the UFC for EAA.

So what I'm wondering is, are there any other options available other than the Baader UFC filter system?  It's about $190 which seems pretty steep ($220 for option #4) but I understand the economics of low volume CNC production.  Was figuring I'd ask if anyone had any other/better/cheaper ideas?

Thanks!

#2 synfinatic

synfinatic

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

Since I'm not getting any responses here, maybe a moderator can move this to the EAA forum?

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

Since I'm not getting any responses here, maybe a moderator can move this to the EAA forum?

Done

#4 Alien Observatory

Alien Observatory

Viking 1

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

Here...and I have one, works well ($85 or so)...Pat Utah smile.gif

https://www.sciencec...ters/fltsct.htm

p.s.  the web site is a bit difficult to navigate, for the Borg items above it is best to contact Ted by email...

https://www.sciencec...tech/orders.htm

Edited by Alien Observatory, 20 May 2019 - 03:36 PM.

• synfinatic likes this

#5 synfinatic

synfinatic

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:36 PM

Yeah, irony is I placed an order for a filter from Ted over the weekend... Didn't even realize that was what the SCT option was.  And Ted is super efficient so the order shipped before you posted.  Doh.

Thanks for the info though- that's good to know.

#6 synfinatic

synfinatic

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

So I feel kinda dumb right now...

Long story short, I was looking at the T-thread adapter and was wondering if I could get the barrel shortened on a lathe.  And tried inserting it in with a filter again to see how much I'd need trimmed.  And it inserted 100% just fine.  That's when I realized the filter I tried earlier was a larger variable polarizer and all my normal thickness filters work just fine.  So yeah, maybe I'll just buy a cheap & thin 13% moon filter an call it a day. :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics