•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Prom types?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

Hello all,
Some pretty cool proms today. I have been trying to determine what the proper nomenclature is for the various shapes. There seems to be at least two different classifications ( H Zirin "Astrophysics of the sun" and J Jenkins "Observing the sun").

In the attached picture, the prom at 1 o'clock appears to be a quiescent, descending form (maybe a brusque or haystack)  but Jenkins describes something very similar in appearance as a bubble and plume (p.73) which is primarily descending but with focal ascending areas.

The proms at 3 o'clock appear to be active surges.

What to you all think?

Attached Thumbnails

• Sun_00001_WithDisplayStretch3.png

Edited by descott12, 18 May 2019 - 09:18 PM.

• MAURITS and MalVeauX like this

#2 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Sputnik

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:14 PM

Dave,

Saw your post and couldn't help to think that my daughter just left for Prom which lasts around the clock and not just at 3 o'clock.  lol.gif   

#3 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:20 PM

Dave,

Saw your post and couldn't help to think that my daughter just left for Prom which lasts around the clock and not just at 3 o'clock.  lol.gif   

Nice. I hope she has fun.

#4 Aaron Small

Aaron Small

Sputnik

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, Just not too much...

• RickV likes this

#5 rigel123

rigel123

Hubble

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

I like Zirin's and would say curtain, but lovely all the same!

#6 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:29 PM

... but Jenkins describes something very similar in appearance as a bubble and plume (p.73) which is primarily descending but with focal ascending areas

Hi Dave, I believe these terms describe features within this Quiescent Hedgerow prominence, and are not a type of prominence themselves.

It's difficult to say what the features at 3 o'clock are. If they are very short lived they are surge prominences, if not they most likely are decaying prominence fragments. Given we're in a relatively quiet period, I lean towards fragments, unless these features lie near a solar active region beyond the limb and are short lived. A typical surge prominence will come and go within 10-20 minutes or so, and have a bit better defined appearance.

Surge Prom.jpg

#7 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

Hi Dave, I believe these terms describe features within this Quiescent Hedgerow prominence, and are not a type of prominence themselves.

>> Yes, they were described as being inside a prominence. So that is a hedgerow.  Thanks

It's difficult to say what the features at 3 o'clock are. If they are very short lived they are surge prominences, if not they most likely are decaying prominence fragments. Given we're in a relatively quiet period, I lean towards fragments, unless these features lie near a solar active region beyond the limb and are short lived. A typical surge prominence will come and go within 10-20 minutes or so, and have a bit better defined appearance.

>> I didn't watch them for too long  so not sure how short or long the existed. They looked sort of arced/curved like a surge...

#8 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:52 AM

Heya,

I like this handy reference:

Prominence_Types.jpeg

Very best,

• Dagobert, MAURITS, S1mas and 1 other like this

#9 KarlL

KarlL

Apollo

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

Marty -

I’m still learning the types, and this is very helpful because it is concise.

Thanks.

#10 descott12

descott12

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

Hey Marty,

Yes that was one of my references. It is handy. I didn't think the large one was a hedgerow since they tend to have distinct separate "trunks" and they often do not taper on the ends. The large one seemed different more like a curtain/brusque...

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:32 AM

Hi Everyone,

These two proms were on the western limb yesterday.  I got a chance to see and sketch them thanks to a heads up from a friend in Germany who sketched them at 1200 UT.

So here's a chance to practice prom ID.  What type do you think they are?

BTW, I think the prom on the left is associated with AR 2741 which had rotated out of sight at about that location.

Solar Proms_2019.05.19_v1.jpg

Edited by Special Ed, 20 May 2019 - 10:38 AM.

• BYoesle and MAURITS like this

#12 MAURITS

MAURITS

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:53 PM

Love this sketch Michael.

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

Thanks, Maurits--and thanks for the like, Bob.  smile.gif 

I think these are both quiescent type proms.  Proms can be combinations of the ones classified by Zirin.  I think the one on the right is an arch/irregular arch/fragment and the one on the left is a platform.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics