•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Double Star Book!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

I'm excited!

https://www.amazon.c...s=books&sr=1-16

• Daniel Mounsey, desertstars, R Botero and 1 other like this

#2 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:04 PM

Oooooooh!  Want!!!!!!

Dave

• Sarkikos and pugliano like this

#3 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

Thanks. Added it to my wish list.
  • pugliano likes this

#4 Ishtim

Ishtim

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N. Alabama, USA

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:47 PM

The S&T article in May's edition BEGS for this kind of stuff... waytogo.gif  

• pugliano likes this

#5 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

The S&T article in May's edition BEGS for this kind of stuff... waytogo.gif  

I keep hearing about this article.  I'll have to go to the public library to dig up a copy...

...unless someone can post it or a PDF or.....

Dave

• pugliano likes this

#6 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors
  • Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:28 PM

Publisher?  Self-published?

• pugliano likes this

#7 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:42 PM

Publisher?  Self-published?

Publisher is Cambridge University Press.

From Amazon:

Book Description

Double-star observer Bob Argyle and co-authors share their selection of the night sky's most interesting double and multiple stars. For each system, they give its description, observational history, finder charts and orbital plots. Observers will treasure the detail in this guide to these jewels of the night sky.

About the Author

Bob Argyle has observed double stars since 1966. He has been Director of the Webb Deep-Sky Society's Double Star Section since 1970. He edited Observing and Measuring Visual Double Stars (2012) and writes monthly columns on double stars for Astronomy Now and the Webb Society. He is a Fellow of Royal Astronomical Society, a Member of the International Astronomical Union and Editor of Observatory magazine.

• Sarkikos likes this

#8 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:54 AM

It’s out a month earlier here in the UK (31/8); I promise I won’t post any spoilers! lol.gif

Roberto

• ianatcn and pugliano like this

#9 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:15 AM

Great publisher!  I was surprised to see so little on the Amazon link -- maybe Amazon was updating their page.  I will get that book.

• pugliano likes this

#10 Alvan Clark

Alvan Clark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:28 AM

The same author also has a book called Observing and Measuring Visual Double Stars.

He also authored the old webb society double star book which was volume 1 of their old set.

$44 seems a little expensive for a paperback though.

• pugliano likes this

#11 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:48 AM

The same author also has a book called Observing and Measuring Visual Double Stars.

He also authored the old webb society double star book which was volume 1 of their old set.

$44 seems a little expensive for a paperback though.

Scientific books that sell maybe 2,000 copies are inherently not as economical as popular books that sell millions.  The production cost (typesetting, layout, making printing plates, etc.) can't be spread over as many copies.  I do think Cambridge tries hard to keep prices reasonable -- look at other publishers!

• Sarkikos, starquake, pugliano and 1 other like this

#12 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Vendors

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:27 AM

The other thing is, Amazon often gives good discounts on this publisher's products.  I have a feeling the Amazon page wasn't complete when I looked at it, and we should look again.

• pugliano likes this

#13 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Star walker

• Loc: PDX, OR.

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for posting in about this, still have my Webb society manuals, well several at least.  Have you compared to the old Webb Society manual of same topic?

• pugliano likes this

#14 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Thanks for posting in about this, still have my Webb society manuals, well several at least.  Have you compared to the old Webb Society manual of same topic?

No, I haven't read the Webb Society manuals. Are they good?

Edited by pugliano, 19 May 2019 - 11:25 AM.

#15 obrazell

obrazell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

The Webb double star handbook (Volume 1 of the Handbook series as noted) went through two editions and is obviously some what dated now in terms of techniques. It contains listings of double stars not a guide to particular ones. Bob's book has been delayed several times so I would not be surprised if it slips again. You can see more information about it on the CUP site at https://www.cambridg...stars?format=PB

The Webb guides were very good for their time and some are still relevant today, especially for small telescope owners.

Owen (Editor Webb Soc DSO)

• pugliano likes this

#16 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:09 PM

The Webb double star handbook (Volume 1 of the Handbook series as noted) went through two editions and is obviously some what dated now in terms of techniques. It contains listings of double stars not a guide to particular ones. Bob's book has been delayed several times so I would not be surprised if it slips again. You can see more information about it on the CUP site at https://www.cambridg...stars?format=PB

The Webb guides were very good for their time and some are still relevant today, especially for small telescope owners.

Owen (Editor Webb Soc DSO)

Thanks. This new book sounds more like what I am looking for. Not really interested in a book of listings.

• Sarkikos likes this

#17 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

The Webb Deep Sky Society are holding their annual meeting in about a month at the IoA Cambridge. And I know Bob, just a little, very very little. I believe he uses the Thorrowgood a lot for observing. Wonder if the book is based on observations made from there. I don't think he uses the 36"

#18 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

Great publisher!  I was surprised to see so little on the Amazon link -- maybe Amazon was updating their page.  I will get that book.

This is early for a pre-order listing. The publisher may not have provided Amazon with a cover yet.

That pre-order price is quite likely lower than the list price will be when the book is released. So now is probably the time. 

• Sarkikos, pugliano and Michael Covington like this

#19 SomebodyElseEntirely

SomebodyElseEntirely

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

I would love a book like this. But, oh dear, take a look at the table of contents (on the Cambridge University Press web page for the book). There are ten introductory chapters. Chapter 9 is Double star catalogue in constellation order. The actual catalogue follows later. This implies that the double and multiple stars in the catalogue are not grouped by constellation but, rather, by, one would assume, right ascension. This alone wouldn't stop me buying the book, but it's frightfully disappointing! 

• Sarkikos and pugliano like this

#20 Kyphoron

Kyphoron

Ranger 4

• Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:31 PM

Well from what I see Amazon will be late in its shipping again. They say September but publisher says October. Not the first time this has happened. The new Turn Left At Orion was off by Amazons ship date by several months. I am personally inclined to order it directly from publisher just for that one fact alone.

• pugliano likes this

#21 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

Well from what I see Amazon will be late in its shipping again. They say September but publisher says October. Not the first time this has happened. The new Turn Left At Orion was off by Amazons ship date by several months. I am personally inclined to order it directly from publisher just for that one fact alone.

We'll just have to wait and see. Amazon says September 30th, which is pretty darn close to October. :)

• desertstars likes this

#22 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:47 PM

We'll just have to wait and see. Amazon says September 30th, which is pretty darn close to October. smile.gif

Wait and see in all regards. I'll almost certainly buy a copy. (looks around at already overburdened bookshelves) After all, I have all summer to figure out were to put it.

• pugliano likes this

#23 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:05 PM

I'm a long time member of the Webb Society and buy pretty much everything they publish, LOVE their work!

• pugliano likes this

#24 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

Here's a link from Cambridge:

https://www.cambridg...stars?format=PB

It gives a little more info and has a picture of the cover.

• pugliano, Stellarfire and Michael Covington like this

#25 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

I support efforts to publish small press books related to my hobby.  If this book is a success for the publishers/authors, more will come.... 

This, to me is akin to supporting bricks and mortar Astronomy stores. 

Use it or lose it...

Dave

• pugliano, Michael Covington, Knasal and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics