•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Double Star Book!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

Today I received my copy of this book through Amazon. At first sight it  looks very good and interesting with a lot of information and diagrams. However I would have liked the inclusion of some visual observations and drawings, together with some nice colour photographs, even it came at an higher price.

Agreed! I haven't seen the book yet (Amazon still shows it as not being released) but I would think that a photo or a sketch of each double discussed would almost be a necessity for a book like that. I'd be willing to pay more for it as well.

I suppose you could look up each double on the internet, download a photo or a sketch of it, and then slip it into the page where it is being discussed, but it's ridiculous to need to do that.

• Far Star likes this

#52 obrazell

obrazell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

I am not sure what a photo of a couple of dots would add as it would just be a snapshot in time. The book does have orbit diagrams and information.. My understanding is that CUP now ships surface to the US so it will take a few weeks more to get to Amazon there.

It does have all sky finder charts for the stars as well as indivisual finder charts for each star

Owen

• pugliano likes this

#53 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

I am not sure what a photo of a couple of dots would add as it would just be a snapshot in time. The book does have orbit diagrams and information.. My understanding is that CUP now ships surface to the US so it will take a few weeks more to get to Amazon there.

It does have all sky finder charts for the stars as well as indivisual finder charts for each star

Owen

Just personal preference. Photos help me to narrow down what I'd like to observe. For example, only some of the Messier objects interest me, only some clusters, etc., but without being able to see photos of them (as they would appear through a small refractor or a dob, not the Hubble!), I'd have to look at all of them.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. :)

• desertstars, esd726 and RogerLaureys like this

#54 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

I bought the Kindle version of the book. Haven't had a chance to look at it.

• pugliano likes this

#55 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:29 PM

Is this a good resource for someone just getting started (and not sure how much they will enjoy) double stars?

• pugliano likes this

#56 ianatcn

ianatcn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:41 PM

Is this a good resource for someone just getting started (and not sure how much they will enjoy) double stars?

If you are just setting out I would try looking at Sky & Telescope site and enter 'double stars' in the search box. There are many great articles for those starting out.  I would say that this book is aimed more at the observer who is already familiar with viewing doubles.  However, as a book in its own right it is a marvellous thing to own.  You may well find that reading the biographies of DS observers inspires you to get out observing!  I think if you have never observed a double then reading some of the S&T articles - especially those by Tony Flanders and Sue French - while waiting for the book to arrive will have you up to speed in no time.  They are a great subject when moonlight or light pollution prohibit other deep sky targets.  Just observing them as a thing of beauty is enough for some but they are also a great test of telescope and eye!

• turtle86, CounterWeight, pugliano and 1 other like this

#57 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Ian,

I'm working my way through The Astronomical Scrapbook right now with many chapters on double star observers.  It's pretty amazing to think that not too long ago, this was astronomy.

I can't say I've never looked at a double star (I looked at Alberio just the other night) but I've never gone out for a session to just look at them, or even really know anything about any double stars that might be right next to the little galaxy I am looking at.  I'll most likely get this book because I just love really good books and this one sounds like it will be one of those.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

• Carl Kolchak, ianatcn, pugliano and 1 other like this

#58 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:47 PM

Nice to see a new book on doubles. 

• pugliano likes this

#59 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

The Kindle version dropped almost $10 and I had to bite!

• ianatcn and pugliano like this

#60 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:25 AM

I see a ship date, basically the first week of Oct to the US

• pugliano likes this

#61 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

I receive a notice the other day from Amazon showing it arriving on or before October 3rd.

• pugliano likes this

#62 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 23 September 2019 - 02:50 PM

now it's showing this Saturday delivery for me, Sept 28th

• desertstars, ianatcn, pugliano and 1 other like this

#63 helpwanted

helpwanted

Aurora

Posted 30 September 2019 - 12:30 PM

I got my copy this weekend, great book!!!

• desertstars, pugliano and brentknight like this

#64 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 30 September 2019 - 04:07 PM

I got my copy this weekend, great book!!!

fingertap.gif

• pugliano likes this

#65 bbanicki

bbanicki

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2019 - 11:03 PM

I just ordered the paper copy, looking forward to reading the book.

• pugliano likes this

#66 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:14 AM

Finally have a shipping notice. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow.

fingerscrossed.gif

• bbanicki and pugliano like this

#67 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Quebec

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:11 AM

I am fortunate in that I work at a university and have access to e-books from the publisher. I had a good read of it yesterday and must say that I will definitely be getting the print copy of this book. Being a beginner to the hobby, and an urban observer, double-stars are my bread and butter. This book is exactly what I need. Also, I very much appreciate the historical overview of double-star observing and observers. This is a field with such a rich history, with so many contributions made by amateurs over the years. It provides biographies of the early amateur and professionals in the field as well as the contributions of professionals and amateurs in the modern era. I was also fascinated by the history of the instruments used to measure PA and separations of double stars over the years.  

• desertstars, helpwanted, bbanicki and 6 others like this

#68 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 03 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

It arrived just now, and my first quick look made a good first impression. When I have a chance to read it, I'll attempt a proper review.

• Ishtim and pugliano like this

#69 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:51 AM

The preview pages on Amazon, of course, don't show any of the double stars that the authors chose to review. Can someone please post a picture of a page that shows a review of one of the actual doubles selected, the finder chart, or something? I just want to make sure it's what I want before I spend the $45.

#70 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:59 PM

Here is a catalog entry from the Kindle version:

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

• CounterWeight, eros312 and pugliano like this

#71 pugliano

pugliano

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:28 AM

Here is a catalog entry from the Kindle version:

attachicon.gif 001.jpg

attachicon.gif 002.jpg

attachicon.gif 003.jpg

attachicon.gif 004.jpg

Thanks, Brent! Very helpful.

#72 spereira

spereira

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:17 AM

I received my copy on Monday, September 30.  I love all the research notes and illustrations.  

I find this book to be an excellent companion to "Double Stars for Small Telescopes", by Sissy Haas.

smp

• desertstars, bbanicki, JNDiller and 1 other like this

#73 bbanicki

bbanicki

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:32 PM

My paper copy of this book came in the mail today.  The book looks good while skimming thought it. 

• pugliano likes this

#74 jpcampbell

jpcampbell

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Quebec

Posted 18 October 2019 - 11:37 AM

Though I have a PDF of this book through a library, I just got the printed copy this week. For me, this is not the type of book I'd want to purchase as an e-book, for the same reason that I would never pick up an atlas as an e-book -  it's just way easier to use in print form than digital.

First thing that struck me was that it's a lot larger than I thought it would be - just a little smaller than the CDSA 2nd Ed. As I mentioned before, I love the background information, and the catalogue entries provide good finder charts and orbital diagrams. While I haven't had a chance to actually use it yet, I've enjoyed reading the entries for the double stars I've already observed. For each entry, you get the history (early and modern), a finder an 8 degree finder chart, physical parameters, ephemeris,  orbital diagrams and measures, and "Observing and Neighborhood".

I also received the CDSA 2nd Ed. this week, so I feel like I'm all set for observing double stars this winter from my heavily light polluted balcony! Exciting!

• desertstars, CounterWeight, R Botero and 4 others like this

#75 Mike McShan

Mike McShan

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oklahoma City

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

I recently got the book, too, and have been really enjoying it.  It reminds me a lot of Jim Kaler's excellent "The Hundred Greatest Stars," showing that every pair in the book has an interesting story to tell.  You can randomly open a page and find a nice description of the double and its observing history.  I really appreciated the chapter on important double star observers of the past, too. A really nice addition to a double star library.

Clear skies, Mike

• pugliano and jpcampbell like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics