•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Double Star Book!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

Today I received my copy of this book through Amazon. At first sight it  looks very good and interesting with a lot of information and diagrams. However I would have liked the inclusion of some visual observations and drawings, together with some nice colour photographs, even it came at an higher price.

Agreed! I haven't seen the book yet (Amazon still shows it as not being released) but I would think that a photo or a sketch of each double discussed would almost be a necessity for a book like that. I'd be willing to pay more for it as well.

I suppose you could look up each double on the internet, download a photo or a sketch of it, and then slip it into the page where it is being discussed, but it's ridiculous to need to do that.

• Far Star likes this

#52 obrazell

obrazell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

I am not sure what a photo of a couple of dots would add as it would just be a snapshot in time. The book does have orbit diagrams and information.. My understanding is that CUP now ships surface to the US so it will take a few weeks more to get to Amazon there.

It does have all sky finder charts for the stars as well as indivisual finder charts for each star

Owen

• pugliano likes this

#53 pugliano

pugliano

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:57 PM

I am not sure what a photo of a couple of dots would add as it would just be a snapshot in time. The book does have orbit diagrams and information.. My understanding is that CUP now ships surface to the US so it will take a few weeks more to get to Amazon there.

It does have all sky finder charts for the stars as well as indivisual finder charts for each star

Owen

Just personal preference. Photos help me to narrow down what I'd like to observe. For example, only some of the Messier objects interest me, only some clusters, etc., but without being able to see photos of them (as they would appear through a small refractor or a dob, not the Hubble!), I'd have to look at all of them.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. :)

• desertstars and RogerLaureys like this

#54 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

I bought the Kindle version of the book. Haven't had a chance to look at it.

• pugliano likes this

#55 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:29 PM

Is this a good resource for someone just getting started (and not sure how much they will enjoy) double stars?

• pugliano likes this

#56 ianatcn

ianatcn

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hampshire, UK

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:41 PM

Is this a good resource for someone just getting started (and not sure how much they will enjoy) double stars?

If you are just setting out I would try looking at Sky & Telescope site and enter 'double stars' in the search box. There are many great articles for those starting out.  I would say that this book is aimed more at the observer who is already familiar with viewing doubles.  However, as a book in its own right it is a marvellous thing to own.  You may well find that reading the biographies of DS observers inspires you to get out observing!  I think if you have never observed a double then reading some of the S&T articles - especially those by Tony Flanders and Sue French - while waiting for the book to arrive will have you up to speed in no time.  They are a great subject when moonlight or light pollution prohibit other deep sky targets.  Just observing them as a thing of beauty is enough for some but they are also a great test of telescope and eye!

• turtle86, pugliano and brentknight like this

#57 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Ian,

I'm working my way through The Astronomical Scrapbook right now with many chapters on double star observers.  It's pretty amazing to think that not too long ago, this was astronomy.

I can't say I've never looked at a double star (I looked at Alberio just the other night) but I've never gone out for a session to just look at them, or even really know anything about any double stars that might be right next to the little galaxy I am looking at.  I'll most likely get this book because I just love really good books and this one sounds like it will be one of those.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

• Carl Kolchak, ianatcn and pugliano like this

#58 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:47 PM

Nice to see a new book on doubles. 

• pugliano likes this

#59 brentknight

brentknight

Viking 1

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

The Kindle version dropped almost $10 and I had to bite!

• ianatcn and pugliano like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics