•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Buying a refractor

astrophotography beginner dslr equipment imaging optics dso accessories
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:24 AM

SkyWatcher Evostar 72ED

#2 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:26 AM

I am planning to buy a SkyWatcher Evostar 72ED in the near future, however, I have been told by many videos it has the focusing issue and needs a spacer, simple question, would it work just to use macro extension tubes to move the camera into focus or do I HAVE to invest in a pricey Focal reducer?

#3 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

Almost all refractors will require extension tubes to come to focus using a camera. You don't "need" a focal reducer unless you truly want to image using a faster F/ratio. And even then, you may still need extension tubes.

Depending on the size of the camera sensor, you may want to invest in a flat fielder. This will ensure round stars edge to edge. You can also crop the image if you don't use a flat field device. 

CS!

• 2ghouls likes this

#4 astronomykiwi

astronomykiwi

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:47 AM

Almost all refractors will require extension tubes to come to focus using a camera. You don't "need" a focal reducer unless you truly want to image using a faster F/ratio. And even then, you may still need extension tubes.

Depending on the size of the camera sensor, you may want to invest in a flat fielder. This will ensure round stars edge to edge. You can also crop the image if you don't use a flat field device.

CS!

Thanks! I use a apsc sized sensor in my canon 600D. people have had issues with round stars around the edges, I already own some macro extension tubes, 13mm 21mm and 31mm so I have many options, how much is usually a reasonably priced flattener? Sometimes stuff here in new zealand is highly overpriced! 😂

#5 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:59 AM

The thing with flatteners is that unless they are specific to the scope, it makes it very difficult to find out which one will actually work. 

I haven't used the scope that you are looking to buy, so I can't answer the question of which FF will work for you. Sorry.

CS! 

#6 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

You can contact SW to see what they suggest. I have heard that they are a friendly bunch and very willing to help their customers.

Support Center — Sky-Watcher.jpg

Miguel   8-)

#7 terry59

terry59

Cosmos

• Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:03 AM

I am planning to buy a SkyWatcher Evostar 72ED in the near future, however, I have been told by many videos it has the focusing issue and needs a spacer, simple question, would it work just to use macro extension tubes to move the camera into focus or do I HAVE to invest in a pricey Focal reducer?

If a flat field with round stars is your objective then yes a flattener or reducer/flattener is needed. Since this scope has no matched flattener getting a perfectly flat field may not be possible. This review uses a William Optics flattener

https://astrophotons...GC_2024_Nebulae

#8 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:28 AM

I can easily recommend the Hotech field flattener. And yes, you *will* need one, especially with a DSLR which has an APS-C sensor (or larger) (likely also with 4/3rds cameras such as the ASI294 and ASI1600). 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, dslr, equipment, imaging, optics, dso, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics