•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar 3.5 Jupiter & Saturn images from early this morning

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: USA

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:30 AM

I'm literally about to pass out. I haven't slept yet because the seeing turned out to be good and the weatherman was totally wrong (forecasted clouds and chance of rain). It was clear all night. 

So, here are a few images of Jupiter with the Great Red Spot making it's trek across the face, as well as one of Saturn. The highest they climbed was 26 degrees, so I'm pretty happy that I was able to capture some detail. I used a ZWO 178MM camera with a  green CCD filter. Processing was quick and basic (Autostakkert, Registax, and a touch of Lightroom to lighten up a few of them). I'll probably give them more attention when I wake up later. There is such a glare on my laptop that I cannot tell how good or bad these really look. I should be able to tell later on this evening when there isn't so much light shining into this room.

It was nice to be out there for a change! The weather has been rough this year.

V/R

Terry

Attached Thumbnails

• Jupiter GRS left1 jpg.jpg
  • Jupiter GRS mid2 jpg.jpg
  • Jupiter GRS right3 jpg.jpg
  • Saturn jpg.jpg

• Paul Schroeder, Matt Looby, davidmcgo and 23 others like this

#2 nicolasM

nicolasM

Ranger 4

• Loc: Landed in Versailles (Fr)

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

Great!

• TerryWood likes this

#3 spereira

spereira

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

Wow!  Excellent images, Terry!  Thanks very much for sharing.

smp

• TerryWood likes this

#4 Paul Schroeder

Paul Schroeder

Ranger 4

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

Terrific images!  Thanks for sharing -

Paul

• TerryWood likes this

#5 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

Super captures!!!!

• TerryWood likes this

#6 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:59 AM

Nice images. Thanks.
  • TerryWood likes this

#7 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:04 AM

Lovely images Terry. Jupiter is so low in the sky here that I rarely dare to take a look at it wink.gif

• TerryWood likes this

#8 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:39 PM

Hey, thanks again everybody! Very much appreciated! I did a lot of captures, but the best were when the GRS was centered and Jupiter was at it's highest elevation of 26 degrees. It was hit and miss either side of that. The atmosphere was very steady at times, then start rippling randomly. Saturn came out a little better than I anticipated seeing as it was so low. It was really nice to have decent seeing for a change!

V/R

Terry

• Terra Nova likes this

#9 nicolasM

nicolasM

Ranger 4

• Loc: Landed in Versailles (Fr)

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:39 AM

Did you use barlow lens?

#10 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:33 AM

Nicolas, no barlow was used for these. I plugged the camera into the axial port. The ZWO 178 pixel size is 2.4 microns which is a good match for the native f/15 Questar. I think the rule of thumb is the focal length for imaging should be anywhere from 3 to 7 times the camera's micron size. Anything beyond that is simply magnification of the image with no additional resolution added. Which is ok too if the seeing is good enough.

V/R

Terry

Edited by TerryWood, 20 May 2019 - 07:33 AM.

#11 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

WOW!!! GREAT JOB TERRY!

• TerryWood likes this

#12 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Vanguard

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:54 PM

Beautiful images, Terry. You can see the GRS doing the “unraveling” that has recently been reported. 

• Matt Looby and TerryWood like this

#13 Pragmatist

Pragmatist

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Suffolk, UK 🇬🇧

Posted 28 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

These Q scopes are just stunning in the right hands.

#14 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

I'm literally about to pass out. I haven't slept yet because the seeing turned out to be good and the weatherman was totally wrong (forecasted clouds and chance of rain). It was clear all night. 

So, here are a few images of Jupiter with the Great Red Spot making it's trek across the face, as well as one of Saturn. The highest they climbed was 26 degrees, so I'm pretty happy that I was able to capture some detail. I used a ZWO 178MM camera with a  green CCD filter. Processing was quick and basic (Autostakkert, Registax, and a touch of Lightroom to lighten up a few of them). I'll probably give them more attention when I wake up later. There is such a glare on my laptop that I cannot tell how good or bad these really look. I should be able to tell later on this evening when there isn't so much light shining into this room.

It was nice to be out there for a change! The weather has been rough this year.

V/R

Terry

Wow, you had to have great seeing to get that detail out of a 3.5" Mak. Did it look close like that at the eyepiece?

• TerryWood likes this

#15 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 29 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

The Saturn image is a close match to Saturn's visual appearance at 208x on May 26th.

Edited by BillHarris, 30 May 2019 - 03:00 PM.

#16 TerryWood

TerryWood

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:35 AM

Hey thanks again everybody! Been out of town so I'm late in my reply. Yes, it seemed like a good seeing night. I mainly set up for imaging and did not have an eyepiece with me for high power viewing. That being said, both Jupiter and Saturn looked very good visually on a small scale. I was surprised that I was able to capture several bands on Saturn as well as the dark area on top. The green ccd filter helped tremendousley. It really helps with contrast. I plan on buying a color camera with a large chip and small pixels. The large chip makes it so much easier to find the planet, then you can choose a moveable 640x480 region of interest and move it around as needed while imaging if your polar alignment is a little off. Thanks again for all of the compliments! V/R Terry
  • RMay likes this

#17 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 30 May 2019 - 11:16 AM

I have a QHY5-II mono guide camera that I'm using for my initial non-DSLR Lunar/planetary photography. I intend to get a color camera of that type later on. I've heard good things about the ASI-224, but I'll see what is available when I'm ready to buy.

But in the meantime using the QHY mono camera will let me get my field laptop, etc, set up and in use.

Edited by BillHarris, 30 May 2019 - 02:57 PM.

• TerryWood likes this

#18 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:40 PM

I have an ASI 224MC that I have used on only three or four occasions over the past four months. While the light gathering is impressive it is more than just a step up from using an iPhone coupled to the eyepiece, since now you’re dealing with software, laptops, and image stacking.

While I enjoy the idea of using it, frankly, it seems to be more frustrating to me than observing and “iPhone photography,” so after the weather clears up this summer I’ll know if it will have been worth the investment. They’re not expensive - I only paid about $220 for mine - but even after reviewing numerous videos and tutorials I’m still finding it frustrating, (which I’m sure is user error).

Observing has always been a joy and I wouldn’t let an attempt at more serious photography diminish that, so for me at least the jury is still out. (I’m sure this is inexperience speaking…).

Ron

Edited by RMay, 30 May 2019 - 01:42 PM.

• TerryWood likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics