•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What microscope is this one? Olympus Tokyo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dinca Stefan

Dinca Stefan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

I found this old microscope named,, ECTR-1 " and serial no. 202884. I done some research online for more info and a manual, but I couldn't manage to find anything. It's altmos like ECTR-1 doesn't exist. I found a topic on this site about a guy who was in a similar problem as me so I made an account and entered this community. I hope you can help me with more info about this particular piece of instrument

Attached Thumbnails

• WhatsApp Image 2019-05-19 at 19.12.45(1).jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-05-19 at 19.12.45(2).jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-05-19 at 19.12.45(3).jpeg
  • WhatsApp Image 2019-05-19 at 19.12.45(4).jpeg

#2 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:15 PM

Have you explored the Olympus site and maybe sent them an email message? https://www.olympus-global.com/

This was probably used at a college or at a medical school. Lots of older microscopes get sold when the school or hospital acquires new equipment. The tube sticking straight up from the top is for attaching a camera. This microscope looks old enough that digital imaging may not have been invented yet.

• Dinca Stefan likes this

#3 Dinca Stefan

Dinca Stefan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

I haven't thought of sending them and emails, but I will do it. I am very curious to see exactly what model is this one. It was brought from Belgium and I played with it a little bit. I am not familiar with microscopes, that's why a manual for this would be great.

Thanks for your help ShaulaB!

#4 Dinca Stefan

Dinca Stefan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

Quick little update: Olympus didn't answer any of my messages. Currently, I'm waiting for approval to join a Facebook group about microscopes. Maybe they can help me.
Anyone has any idea about when was this model created?

#5 EJN

EJN

Skylab

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:47 PM

Here is the manual for the EC model, although the trinocular head looks different:

http://www.alanwood....nstructions.pdf

This website has lots of Olympus manuals & catalogs

http://www.alanwood..../downloads.html

Edited by EJN, 20 May 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#6 Dinca Stefan

Dinca Stefan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:55 AM

I read the manual. Although that wasn't my model (mine is ECTR-1) I learned some information. I discovered that some lenses need to be used with cedar oil. Anyone knows how does that work and could explain me hot to use those with the oil?

#7 Microscopy

Microscopy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:25 AM

Your microscope is mentioned in that manual (see #5, EJN), page 1, section 4 as "ECE Tr-1".

That extra "E"  (from "electric") refers to the low voltage illuminator, providing illumination according to Kohler, which is part of your set.

Your microscope is a model E ("E"), with square mechanical stage with coaxial controls on one side of the stage("C"), the low voltage illuminator LSE ("E") and the trinocular eyepiece tube ("Tr-1").

I'm not surprised you got your microscope from Belgium: Olympus has always been a very popular brand over there. Their microscopes were very good, less expensive than the well known German, Austrian or Swiss brands and better than the Eastern European brands (who lacked adequate quality control: the good ones were very good, the poor ones really bad...).

Olympus sold thousands upon thousands of microscopes in Belgium and The Netherlands. These are now availlable on the second-hand market, often at very attractive prices.

The E was introduced in 1958. In 1960 Olympus introduced the successor, the F-series. Yours still has the separated coarse and fine focussing controls. If memory serves me right, Olympus introduced the coaxial focussing controls on later versions of the E stand.

Brief history on Olympus microscopes on the website already mentioned in #2, ShaulaB, see https://www.olympus-...chnology_museum

Immersion oil objectives: see https://en.wikipedia...i/Oil_immersion

Edited by Microscopy, 22 May 2019 - 03:18 AM.

#8 Dinca Stefan

Dinca Stefan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:48 PM

Thank you a lot Microscopy. Your informations really came in handy. I wasn't really into microscopes before ( I didn't metion that I'm in High schoo). My school doesn't use microscopes at all. That's why I have pretty much no experience with them.
I'm curious if I could use synthetic oil instead of the cedar one. The bottle of cedar oil I found in the box is orange now. My theory is that the lenses aren't that waterproof to resist to the less dense synthetic oil.
Also, any methods to clean the lenses from solidified cedar oil?

#9 Microscopy

Microscopy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:38 AM

Synthetic immersion oil is preffered as it does'nt solidify over time. It's availlable from all microscope manufacturers and from most vendors of lab equipment/lab chemicals.

Well known brands are Cargill (in the US) and Roth, Panreac, Carlo Erba, Merck etc. in Europe.

The regular standard immersion oil has a refractive index of 1.515 @ 20°C.

Don't worry about oil having a lower density seeping in: synthetic immersion oil has about the same density as cedar oil, not to be confused with the partially dried out cedar oil samples found in old microscope cabinets smile.gif.

BUT immersion objectives are not supposed to have oil on the front lens surface surface for days in a row!

It's not necessary to completely clean the lens after each use, though. At the time, in the clinical or bacteriological lab, microscopists used a piece of lens tissue, moisted with some saliva to whipe most of the oil from the objective and thoroughly cleaned the immersion objective with xylene on friday afternoon, before they went home and that worked fine.

Cleaning the lenses from solidified cedar oil: it can be done but no guarantee on succes... Solidified cedar oil dissolves  in xylene, benzene, toluene and cleaning naphta. The latter is preffered as the others are even more nasty stuff compare to naphta (poisonous, carcinogenic etc.).

High quality cleaning naphta need to be used as cheaper stuff such as Coleman fuel leaves a residue on the lens surface.

Also: use lens tissue and/or q tips for laboratory use only! Don't use toilet/kitchen roll paper or q tips from the bathroom.

Gently try to remove the oil (no "scrubbing"!) using as litlle as possible solvent.

You'll find a lot of information on microscope cleaning  here: https://microscopy.d...Microscsope.pdf but avoid the 85% n-hexane, 15% isopropanol mixture they advise for lens cleaning! Older lenses, cemented using canada balsam, don't like isopropanol (it makes the canada balsam cloudy).

When the oil has seeped in into the objective, between the lenses/lens groups it's usualy considered lost. You can try to dismantle it, clean it, re cement the lenses using canada balsam etc. but chances on succes are very low. However: it has been done succesfully by amateur microscopists.

On the other hand: a  second hand 100/1.25 (1.30) Olympus immersion objective of that generation is not that hard to find and not very expensive.

"My school doesn't use microscopes at all.". I'm not at all surprised...

Edited by Microscopy, 23 May 2019 - 03:10 AM.

• Dinca Stefan likes this

#10 Dinca Stefan

Dinca Stefan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 04:17 AM

Ok Microscopy. I really appreciate your help! Thanks a lot!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics