•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Cleaning Questar Optics

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

Bill, I advise against ever reusing anything (which a microfiber cloth suggests).  Use and discard until it hurts.  I'd wrap a Q-tip in a pec pad and use that. 

#27 BillHarris

BillHarris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: northwest Alabama

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:38 PM

I might leave well enough alone, then. The haze is not that bad and only shows when looking at something bright, like the Moon.

#28 markb

markb

Messenger

• Loc: Long Island; in transition to Arizona

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

Microfiber towelettes should be treated as disposable. They are certainly not expensive, and their oil absorbance and retention is a real plus not shared by most. People reuse everything, including pecpads, and it is a bad idea on optics.

Edited by markb, 24 June 2019 - 10:22 PM.

#29 GR1973

GR1973

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 July 2019 - 05:08 AM

Anything other than pure acetone would leave residues. I clean my optical window on the Q front lens every 2-3 years.

I use pure cotton with pure acetone. Before every wipe, I breath on the glass. Then I glide the cotton on the glass.

I use not less than 15 pieces of cotton with even more many times

finally, I breath on the lens to make a lot of water and clean it with a dry cotton piece. I do this two or three times. It removes small residues and leave the glass very clean.

This technique is for the tough Magnesium Fluoride coated Questar optical window. I have not touched my corrector for 10 years.

Regards  

#30 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

That sounds like one good approach. Can’t be too careful.

I might suggest that there are many cleaning fluids that leave no residue and you have found one of them.

#31 Toxo144

Toxo144

Explorer 1

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:41 AM

I know some of you will be horrified and afraid to use this, but I can't recommend this too highly.

https://www.photoniccleaning.com/

Toxo

• Matt Looby likes this

#32 Matt Looby

Matt Looby

Apollo

• Loc: Lake Champlain Valley

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:24 AM

I know some of you will be horrified and afraid to use this, but I can't recommend this too highly.

Toxo

wow.

#33 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:52 PM

Toxo

I took a look at the instructions, especially since there are instructions and cautions for SCTs.  I did not find anything there about dealing with a Maksutov curved corrector plate.  I watched the video for performing the cleaning on an SCT larger than the Q3.5 - my only comment there is that, to me, there seemed to still be some "stuff" left on the SCT corrector plate as the polymer was peeled away, and the video ended very quickly without any inspection of the corrector plate.

Have you tried this yourself on an SCT, or on a Mak?

smp

#34 Loren Gibson

Loren Gibson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Florida, USA

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:14 PM

I used to use a product called Opti-Clean about 30 years ago. It too was a polymer liquid which dried, then you peeled off. I used it for my Newtonian's mirrors at that time.

Washing a mirror in a sink is much easier than using this stuff, and more importantly, when you pour and spread the liquid onto a convex surface (primary mirror, or a Mak corrector plate), it will likely create a deep-ish puddle in the middle due to the time it takes to cure. The puddle might take a long time to cure and be more difficult to peel away than parts with a normal thickness. I note the instructions on the First Contact web site talk about to brushing the solution on, so perhaps there's a technique to avoid puddling.

That difficulty aside (and the fact that, for mirrors, I'd now prefer to carefully wash with water and soap), Opti-Clean resulted in a wonderfully clean surface.

Loren

• Matt Looby likes this

#35 Toxo144

Toxo144

Explorer 1

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:30 PM

@SMP,

Yes.  Used it on the Q3.5 Anniversary corrector and on the primary mirror of my 12.5" Hyperion.  Also use it regularly on my Brandon/TV eyepieces and on my AstroDon Gen2 filters, cover glass on QSI 583wsg, and tip-tilt glass on my SX Active Optics unit..  For larger surfaces use the spray on, it will save you some money - this stuff isn't cheap.  On VERY dirty mirrors or surfaces sometimes a second application gets rid of the residual dirt/smudges. I let it sit overnight, and then pull it off the next day.

Look on the site under  Applications, "Astronomy."  I think you'll be shocked at which observatories are using this stuff - including the Keck and ESO LaSilla telescopes.  Trust me, it's more than safe for the Questar.

Years ago I asked Jim Reichert at Questar about it, and he flat out admitted that they had never looked at it so had no opinion.  I was so impressed with the job it did on my TV 101is and TV eyepieces I started using it on everything.  Never disappointed.  But it IS pricey.  But IMHO, nothing but the best for my Q3.5.

Toxo

• spereira likes this

#36 Loren Gibson

Loren Gibson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Florida, USA

Posted 06 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

I wonder if First Contact, if it can be applied by brush, might be the easiest way to thoroughly and safely clean the finder mirror under the control panel, without removing the housing from the control box.

Loren

• markb likes this

#37 Toxo144

Toxo144

Explorer 1

Posted 06 July 2019 - 08:54 PM

@Loren G. - 

The basic kit comes with a brush, and can be used on the finder mirror easily.  Just remember, use UNWAXED dental floss as a removal tail, NOT waxed floss.  The polymer doesn't stick to it.

Cheers,

Toxo

• markb and Loren Gibson like this

#38 drprovi57

drprovi57

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 07 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

@SMP,

Yes.  Used it on the Q3.5 Anniversary corrector and on the primary mirror of my 12.5" Hyperion.  Also use it regularly on my Brandon/TV eyepieces and on my AstroDon Gen2 filters, cover glass on QSI 583wsg, and tip-tilt glass on my SX Active Optics unit..  For larger surfaces use the spray on, it will save you some money - this stuff isn't cheap.  On VERY dirty mirrors or surfaces sometimes a second application gets rid of the residual dirt/smudges. I let it sit overnight, and then pull it off the next day.

Look on the site under  Applications, "Astronomy."  I think you'll be shocked at which observatories are using this stuff - including the Keck and ESO LaSilla telescopes.  Trust me, it's more than safe for the Questar.

Years ago I asked Jim Reichert at Questar about it, and he flat out admitted that they had never looked at it so had no opinion.  I was so impressed with the job it did on my TV 101is and TV eyepieces I started using it on everything.  Never disappointed.  But it IS pricey.  But IMHO, nothing but the best for my Q3.5.

Toxo

I too have used it on Celestron mirrors/correctors, large iDK telescope mirrors (17"), lens, etc.. requires careful preparation of optics/mirrors to avoid overspray or application liquid getting into places you do not want... lots of youtube and web instructions to guide... as mentioned - the stuff is VERY PRICY.. $100 per application for my large 17" iDK mirror.. small annual price to pay for clean and reflective mirrors.  Never needed it on my Questar 3.5 or 7" Astro-- just dust off corrector lens

• Toxo144 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics