•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M81/M82 HaRGB

astrophotography ccd dso refractor
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 archy990

archy990

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, Wisconsin

Posted 19 May 2019 - 06:59 PM

M81 M82 HaRGB

A few weeks back the weather and moon conditions allowed me to capture the color (R, G, B) data I needed to make my first ever HaRGB integration with data acquired using my Astrel AST8300-X CCD. Here is the resulting full color image of the beautiful spiral galaxy (M81) and "peculiar" galaxy (M82) located 12 million light years from us. Together they are known as "Bode's Nebula" - found in the constellation Ursa Major.

The spiral M81 has numerous, bright red hydrogen-alpha regions dotted along its spiral arms. These represent large nebula containing gas and dust that are the stellar nurseries where new stars are forming.

M82 is named the Cigar Galaxy for its shape, and it also has distinct dust lanes and outflow structures (red) emanating from its core for which it is considered the prototypical "starburst galaxy" (undergoing rapid star formation due to its relatively recent encounter/interaction with M81).

I hope you enjoy the image!

Stellarvue 130EDT (f7)
Celestron CGEM mount
Astrel Instruments AST8300-X mono CCD camera
16x5min Hydrogen-alpha filter (12nm Astronomik)
10x2min R filter (Astronomik Deep-Sky)
10x2min G filter (Astronomik Deep-Sky)
10x2min B filter (Astronomik Deep-Sky)
140mins total integration
Sensor temperature -20C
Guided (Lacerta MGEN II)
PixInsight (calibrated, registered, stacked, post-processed)
Photoshop (finish processing)

Edited by archy990, 19 May 2019 - 07:02 PM.

• starcam, BKMaynard, BenKolt and 8 others like this

#2 jsmithsd

jsmithsd

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sonoita, Arizona

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

Very nice image, well done!

• archy990 likes this

#3 archy990

archy990

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Madison, Wisconsin

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

Very nice image, well done!

Thank you! Taking a bit of getting used to integrating the separate channels, but I'm pleased with this first effort.

Best,

Jeff

Madison, WI

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, dso, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics