•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Clyde Tombaugh

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:13 PM

Hope this the right forum for this. Thought I'd share this. Seems like in another life I attended an astronomy related event in, I believe, Big Bear, CA. This was missing for many years, I only had a vague recollection of the piece. My son came across it during the packing/unpacking of a recent move.

Attached Thumbnails

• 57940731279__66C9557B-4155-45CA-B5F2-3CF5DDCB9A1C.jpg

• zjc26138, deepwoods1, Gary Z and 7 others like this

#2 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:38 AM

WOW! Is there a way that I can white out the name and replace it with mine. Sorry, both Greed and Averice attacked me at the same time.I am not just envious....I am freaking jealous! WOW! What an amazing piece of history...(just so that we are clear, if it turns out to be a fake and I am making an absolute goof of myself, a hoard of angry Medieval villagers brandishing pitchforks and torches will inundate you with unecessary magazine subscriptions...and do not take this lightly, they are relentless...I should know. Every month I get 30 magazines.)

LOL!

But seriously, this is Astronomy memorabelia (I spelt that wrong) which is worth treasuring. Clyde Tombaugh was one of heros when I was growing up, along with Galileo, Sir Issac Newton, William and John Hershel, Hans Lippershy, Einstein, J. Robert Oppenheimer, Christian Huygens, 

#3 RalphMeisterTigerMan

RalphMeisterTigerMan

Viking 1

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:43 AM

Sorry, I appologize for leaving the last posting I made with out signing off. That document should be framed and kept in a safety deposit box. Or at least an atmospheric, temperature and humidity controlled glass enclosed environmental safety vault.  I am impressed! Thank-you for sharing this.

Clear Skies!

RalphMeisterTigerMan

#4 scngc7317

scngc7317

Ranger 4

• Loc: CA

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:12 AM

I remember when Mr Tombaugh was at the RTMC that year, I took a picture of him but didn't get in line for an autograft  bangbang.gif

#5 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

I remember when Mr Tombaugh was at the RTMC that year, I took a picture of him but didn't get in line for an autograft  bangbang.gif

I'd be content with simply having seen and heard him.

Alas, he died before I was even born.

• Augustus likes this

#6 Crusty99

Crusty99

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:39 PM

Nice keepsake.

#7 GoFish

GoFish

Apollo

• Loc: Kentucky / Colorado

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

If you have not been there, Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff does a very nice job telling the story of Tombaugh, Pluto, and how it came to be that Mr. Tombaugh was assigned the project (the short version is that nobody else wanted it!)  The Pluto observatory and astrograph are preserved in a way that transports you instantly back to winter, 1930. 

• Astroman007 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics