•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Messier 104 – The Sombrero Galaxy - Lenticular Galaxy

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Terry R

Terry R

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:01 AM

This would have to be an object on many astrophotographers bucket list.  I remember looking back at some textbooks from my university days and seeing M104.  Sure it was black and white, but it was so very cool.  Skip ahead in time, now, very modest instruments allow us to present incredible renditions of this and many other amazing objects.

This is where imagination takes hold and things become skewed.  I know this is all wrong, but when I look at this object it almost appears like a very bright light source is held captive, surrounded by large chunks of matter blocking its light and casting shadows into space.  Yep, imagination can certainly conger up fascinating stuff.  But slowly, reality takes over and you that there is no way that rocks that large are patrolling the outskirts of this wonderful galaxy.   tongue2.gif

The Sombrero Galaxy has an incredible halo extending well beyond the frame of the image.  It has to my eye, a slightly brownish tint to it.   Several galaxies further away can be seen through the halo, but they are very small and this is where a large instrument with serious image scale would be a wonderful treat.

The Sombrero Galaxy, Messier 104, NGC 4594 is a lenticular galaxy found in the constellation Virgo.  It’s about a third of the size of our galaxy sporting an unusually large central bulge.  One of the most striking features is the prominent dust lane in its inclined disk.  This feature resembles a sombrero hat.  The dust lane is a symmetrical ring that encloses the bulge of the galaxy.  Where it crosses in front of the bulge, we can see the brightness of the galaxy extinguish, and the dark belt is revealed.  The ring might also contain most of the cold matter in the Sombrero Galaxy.

At the core, it is believed that one of the most massive black holes measured in any nearby galaxies resides.   

Some astronomers consider this galaxy to have the highest absolute magnitude within a radius of 10 megaparsecs of the Milky Way.  Visually, this allows a simple set of binoculars to be used allowing the observer to just reveal its presence.   Moving up in aperture, a 200 mm will allow you to distinguish the bulge from the disk.   From there, 250-300 mm will reveal the dark lane.

Of course, photographically every changes.  This image was obtained using a modest 250 mm instrument, and monochromatic camera.   If you had eyes the size of dinner plates and didn’t blink for a day, your friends might think you look like a freak, but hey, could you see it?  There’s that imagination again…. Apologies.

Instruments Used:

• 10 Inch RCOS fl 9.1
  • Astro Physics AP-900 Mount
  • SBIG STL 11000m
  • FLI Filter Wheel
  • Astrodon Lum, Red, Green, Blue Filters
  • Baader Planetarium H-alpha 7nm Narrowband-Filter

Image Details:

• Lum  33 X 900 seconds
  • Ha  22 X 900 seconds
  • Blue   11 X 900 seconds
  • Green  10 X 900 seconds
  • Red  17 X 900 seconds
  • Total Time: 23.24 Hours

Astrobin link:

get.jpg?insecure

Flickr link:

46971937195_1194226e10_z.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• rustynpp, John Miele, DeanS and 28 others like this

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:08 AM

Excellent image (and processing).

#3 Terry R

Terry R

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:22 AM

Many thanks Tapio

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:16 AM

That's a really beautiful image. well done. The processing is outstanding. I think M104 might be a bit low for my latitude of 52 North except for a few weeks each year when the weather is normally not good each time I've tried to grab a frame or 2.

#5 Pete_xl

Pete_xl

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:56 AM

Congratulations! You did a very! fine job - technically & artistically - on that wonderful galaxy!

#6 astrovienna

astrovienna

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:27 AM

Wow.  I do not know what to say.  Your galaxy work is really first rate, Terry.  Lately I think of this galaxy as a very highly concentrated elliptical surrounded by one of those frisbee rings. 

Kevin

#7 John Miele

John Miele

Gemini

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

Wow oh wow oh wow!!!! There have been some killer M104 images posted lately, but I think this has the most detail in the dust lanes I have seen yet. Absolutely fantastic image! I have been striving for something like this for years, but so far have not even remotely approached what you pulled out here...bow.gif bow.gifbow.gif  ...John

#8 Terry R

Terry R

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:57 AM

That's a really beautiful image. well done. The processing is outstanding. I think M104 might be a bit low for my latitude of 52 North except for a few weeks each year when the weather is normally not good each time I've tried to grab a frame or 2.

Thanks pyrasanth.  I am fortunate that this galaxy is fairly high, that definitely helps

Congratulations! You did a very! fine job - technically & artistically - on that wonderful galaxy!

Thank you Pete.   It has a unique look about it for sure.  I guess that's why we see it presented in many places.

Wow.  I do not know what to say.  Your galaxy work is really first rate, Terry.  Lately I think of this galaxy as a very highly concentrated elliptical surrounded by one of those frisbee rings. 

Kevin

Hi Kevin, thanks.  It's halo is huge, extending well beyond the frame presented.   Small and bright. :)

#9 Terry R

Terry R

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:01 AM

Wow oh wow oh wow!!!! There have been some killer M104 images posted lately, but I think this has the most detail in the dust lanes I have seen yet. Absolutely fantastic image! I have been striving for something like this for years, but so far have not even remotely approached what you pulled out here...bow.gif bow.gifbow.gif  ...John

Thanks John.  I did spend time in that area for sure. I had almost 80 subs, and in the end, I threw away more than half in an effort to reveal as much detail as I could without introducing noise with the reduced data set.  

#10 DaveB

DaveB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: New England

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

Awesome image!

I have one question - I notice that you took quite a bit of Ha images. Is there really Ha signal there, or is that a technique that you use in general?

#11 elmiko

elmiko

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

Another spectacular image Terry!  You even captured the spiral details! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Edited by elmiko, 20 May 2019 - 08:48 AM.

#12 alvarete

alvarete

Ranger 4

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

Very very good

#13 Astroman007

Astroman007

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

Wow! Just beautiful. So sharp and clear, such detail in the "hat's brim" too.

#14 Terry R

Terry R

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

Awesome image!

I have one question - I notice that you took quite a bit of Ha images. Is there really Ha signal there, or is that a technique that you use in general?

Fair question.  I have included what the Ha look like out of the camera.  

Ha-22-Subs.jpg

The moon was up at the time so why not smile.gif  

It was interesting to look at, the core is very bright, and the outer belt has nothing in the Ha region.  It looks like the old black and white images I remember looking at.

• elmiko likes this

#15 Terry R

Terry R

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:54 PM

Another spectacular image Terry!  You even captured the spiral details! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

There are some very subtle details in there if you dig around.  Thanks Mike

Very very good

Cheers alvarete

Wow! Just beautiful. So sharp and clear, such detail in the "hat's brim" too.

Thanks Astoman,  A lot of time spent in there.  Cheers

• elmiko likes this

#16 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:52 PM

Wow Terry!  That is a spectacular image with fantastic detail.  Very well done!

John

#17 Terry R

Terry R

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:50 AM

Wow Terry!  That is a spectacular image with fantastic detail.  Very well done!

John

Thanks John.    It's not a large target, but worth the time.

#18 Michael Deger

Michael Deger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich/Germany

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:00 AM

Hi Terry,

very good image with fine details.

All the best

Michael

http://galaxyphoto.de

#19 Terry R

Terry R

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:02 AM

Hi Terry,

very good image with fine details.

All the best

Michael

http://galaxyphoto.de

Many thanks Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics