•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

TS ED 102 f/7 Apo with FDPL-51 doublet - experiences ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NRW, Germany

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:02 AM

Hello Friends,

this ED is now available for only 599€ at TS Germany. It has an FPL-51 glass….has anyone here experiences with this ED ? For me it might be interesting for visual use at moon.

Kind regards, Michael Aaron

https://www.teleskop...rd-focuser.html

Edited by AaronM, 20 May 2019 - 06:02 AM.

#2 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

This looks to be the same as the ASTRO-TECH AT102ED 4" F/7 ED REFRACTOR OTA

I'd check some reviews on that.

• Auburn80 likes this

#3 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

Hello Friends,

this ED is now available for only 599€ at TS Germany. It has an FPL-51 glass….has anyone here experiences with this ED ? For me it might be interesting for visual use at moon.

https://www.teleskop...rd-focuser.html

A steal for that price.

#4 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 20 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

Why they are so cheap?

#5 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 May 2019 - 01:58 PM

I initially  thought this also, however the TS 102 uses FPL-51 whereas the Astro-Tech uses FK-61.

Both are close enough that I doubt any difference would be noticeable.

#6 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

I initially  thought this also, however the TS 102 uses FPL-51 whereas the Astro-Tech uses FK-61.

Both are close enough that I doubt any difference would be noticeable.

Looks like the tube is the same and the glass is slightly different. I think both FPL-51 and FK-61 are about "equal", but if I remember correctly, FK-61 would be considered a slightly "cheaper" glass.

• junomike likes this

#7 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

Looks like the tube is the same and the glass is slightly different. I think both FPL-51 and FK-61 are about "equal", but if I remember correctly, FK-61 would be considered a slightly "cheaper" glass.

Unless TS is mistaken about the glass type (and it uses the FK-61 also?)

#8 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:10 PM

Unless TS is mistaken about the glass type (and it uses the FK-61 also?)

This is an interesting point of conversation as TS has many of the same 'scopes that astronomics has, but with 'better' glass. I'm not sure if there's anyway to confirm what glass is being used even if you had both OTAs side-by-side. I own the 130 TS photo line, which is nearly identical to the AT-130 except for the glass type (FPL-53 vs FPL-51) at virtually the same price. Oddly enough that's not the case for the photoline 115 vs the AT-115 whereas they both claim (or at least used to) FPL-51, at again virtually the same price. This is purely anecdotal, but it seems like the OTAs from both are rebranded from the same source (rebranded sharpstar?). When I ordered my scope, I made my purchase decision based on the claim of better glass at approximately the same price, and I can just take their word for it. I am in no way implying that anyone is disingenuous about their glass type claims.

In the case of the 102, It's interesting that although plausibly sourced from the same place, they would have different glass types that are for all purposes equal quality (FPL-51 and FK-61). I'm not sure how much sense it would make to build virtually the same OTAs with different glass that probably doesn't have any impact on optical quality. 

• gene 4181 likes this

#9 Suavi

Suavi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:17 PM

I used have this model of the telescope. Great for narrowband with a TS reducer and with a modestly sized sensor. Not so great to LRGB imaging. My unit had a sturdy focuser but I replaced it with Moonlite for imaging. Unfortunately, I don't recall ever looking through this telescope.

Narrowband (with a reducer to speed it up to f/5.6): https://www.spacetel...ir_lipinski_07/

LRGB: https://www.astrobin...page=3&nc=&nce=

Edited by Suavi, 20 May 2019 - 04:18 PM.

• Starman81 and pao like this

#10 Svalbard

Svalbard

Mariner 2

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:42 PM

I used have this model of the telescope. Great for narrowband with a TS reducer and with a modestly sized sensor. Not so great to LRGB imaging. My unit had a sturdy focuser but I replaced it with Moonlite for imaging. Unfortunately, I don't recall ever looking through this telescope.

Narrowband (with a reducer to speed it up to f/5.6): https://www.spacetel...ir_lipinski_07/

LRGB: https://www.astrobin...page=3&nc=&nce=

Dang man, you had it dialed in. Nice shots.

#11 Auburn80

Auburn80

Viking 1

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

LRGB: https://www.astrobin...page=3&nc=&nce=

Pardon my ignorance but is this the same doublet that is being sold now? Those were from 2014 right? Very nice images!

Edited by Auburn80, 20 May 2019 - 05:05 PM.

#12 AaronM

AaronM

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: NRW, Germany

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:46 PM

Hello, as I saw it right he used the TS "Photoline" ED. The actual model I meant is the cheaper TS ED Apo f/7 without the label "Photoline".

Edited by AaronM, 20 May 2019 - 10:46 PM.

#13 Suavi

Suavi

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: 20.25 deg South of the Equator

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:53 AM

Yes, just checked my records and mine was from 2014 and it had a 3" Crayford focuser and at that time it did cost 693 euros. But the type of glass was not specified and the website only mentioned ED doublet with glass from Ohara.

So it was not exactly the same scope as it has been pointed out - but I feel both the scope I had and the one in question are very similar, if not identical, optically and also mechanically.

Current series of ED 102 Photoline has FPL-53 and Lanthanum specified and it costs more. I am quite confident that mine had FPL-51, same as the scope that OP is inquiring about. Mine also had a tube from rolled aluminium, while the new scope apparently has CNC-tube.

Either way, my point was that there will most likely be some noticeable but controlled chromatic aberration at higher powers.

Edited by Suavi, 21 May 2019 - 03:55 AM.

• Auburn80 likes this

#14 GlenM

GlenM

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire England

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

Why they are so cheap?

Probably made by Kunming. They do build a few nice scopes for a reasonable price.

Glen.

#15 NYJohn S

NYJohn S

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northport, NY

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:13 PM

Hi Michael

I have the Astro-Tech Version. The AT102ED. I've been very happy with mine. I see some minimal color on the brightest objects but it's well controlled and doesn't show on most objects. It's nice and sharp with good contrast. I was surprised how nice the build quality and fit & finish is. The 2 speed focuser is very smooth and precise. I just picked up A Stellarvue SV80 which I think is the same as the more expensive TS version with the FPL53 glass. The quality of construction, focuser and tube rings seem the same. They must all be made in the same factory and the optics changed according to the resellers specs. 

Here's a side by side photo of the AT102ED and the Stellarvue Access 80.

SV80 & AT102ED

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#16 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Aurora

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 23 May 2019 - 01:09 AM

Yeah real nice scopes, i have the TS version. Fit and finish is superb, sofar i have not seen anything like it in that price class. It's like the chinese want to get rid of any cheap imago in making their scopes. Even the lenscap is metal, nicely painted and with some some soft stuff inside...

And their color correction is really outstanding , considering those are doublets.

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 23 May 2019 - 01:09 AM.

• NYJohn S likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics