•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 16/05 - SW 14" Dobson

planet dob
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 leoyasu

leoyasu

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

Hi all! First time posting an image here, although I've been reading your tutorials and tips for a long time. Everything was very helpful! Anyway, after many attempts I was able to get some shots in one night (16/05) with good seeing.

For each of the 4 images, I captured 60 videos in batches of 15 videos with 60 seconds each with FireCapture (histogram at 80%). First, I processed the videos with PIPP to eliminate pictures that partially showed the planet. Then, I stacked the videos in AS! using the Kokatha Man tutorial (thanks smile.gif ). For sharpening, I used only the first two sliders of Registax (I don't like the rest lol.gif ).Then, I used WJ derotation for each batch of 15 images. Finally, I used PS for unsharp masks, color correction, high pass filters and image resizing (150%).

My equipment:

• SW 14" dobson GoTo
  • SW x2 achro barlow
  • ZWO ASI 120 MC

2019-05-16-0534_3-LY-Jup.jpg

2019-05-16-0556_5-LY-Jup.jpg

2019-05-16-0624_9-LY-Jup.jpg

I'm still need to fine tune collimation and processing. I would love to know if I'm missing something (or not) with my processing techniques. I still don't have programs like Astra Image or one that allows me to use deconvolution (I tried fitswork but I didn't get good results). Meanwhile, I apply a couple of iterations of unsharp mask with low values combined with the high pass filter. For color I use RS RGB Align or balance or PS (vibrance and saturation).

I hope you like them!

Leo.

PS: apologies for my broken english grin.gif 

Edited by leoyasu, 20 May 2019 - 04:59 PM.

• Sunspot, Jeffrey C., DesertRat and 10 others like this

#2 leoyasu

leoyasu

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

A couple of more images!

2019-05-16-0624_9-LY-Jup-Hard.jpg

Third image with harder processing

2019-05-16-0642_3-LY-Jup.jpg

Last image of the night

• Sunspot, DesertRat, troyt and 6 others like this

#3 aa6ww

aa6ww

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sacramento, Calif.

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:16 PM

Those shots are very impressive. More impressive still is that your showing Jupiter as being 76 degs above the horizon. Over here in Northern California USA Jupiter is lower than normal in the sky this season. Aperture always wins!

...Ralph

• leoyasu likes this

#4 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:43 PM

Astounding images, i really feel regret why didn't i got SW 14" Dob instead of my 7" Mak, great job from you, keep going waytogo.gif

• leoyasu likes this

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

Those shots are very impressive. More impressive still is that your showing Jupiter as being 76 degs above the horizon. Over here in Northern California USA Jupiter is lower than normal in the sky this season. Aperture always wins!

...Ralph

And that is what i will focus on later, in fact i feel like i want to spend longer time with a big "APERTURE" scope for visual and planetary imaging than with APO high end refr for DSO, but let's see, you shouldn't give up due to your location, if planets aren't good enough because it is low then either focus on the moon or wait until planets getting higher, or drive far to the south where you can see planets higher.

#6 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:38 PM

Very good first postings Leo..! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

I'm sure that as you experiment further with your processing applications you'll find the formula that works for you! ;)

• leoyasu likes this

#7 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:00 AM

Agree, great images for your first posting!

Sounds like you're on the right track: dialling in collimation is a good next step. I'm a 100% convert to using MetaGuide for this - a great software tool.

• leoyasu likes this

#8 R Botero

R Botero

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:52 AM

Well done Leo! :waytogo: Those are great shots :cool:
Roberto
  • leoyasu likes this

#9 leoyasu

leoyasu

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

Thank you very much for your kind words and for the likes as well! While they are my first images in CN, certainly they are not my first set images but luckily these years we have favorable oppositions for these planets lol.gif

1jup.png

One of my first shots

Leo.

Edited by leoyasu, 21 May 2019 - 04:33 PM.

• TareqPhoto likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet, dob

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics