•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CEM120 No Internet, secured Wifi

EAA mount astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:50 PM

No matter what i try i keep getting the same thing showing their is signal but wont connect

to the mount my Wifi connects easy to my ASI294mc Pro Camera

Attached Thumbnails

• img_0784.jpg

Edited by Michaeljhogan, 20 May 2019 - 09:07 PM.

#2 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:08 PM

yes i done all on that 12345678 and downloaded iOptron Commander

#3 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:11 PM

My mount is only 25-30 ft from my house

Attached Thumbnails

• img_0773.jpg

#4 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

It shows connected? When you go into iOptron Commander and select wifi, then what happens?
  • bobzeq25 likes this

#5 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

• Loc: USA

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

Did you download latest ASCOM Platform and install it from http://www.ascom‚Äźstandards.org before installing iOptron Commander?

#6 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:17 PM

It shows connected? When you go into iOptron Commander and select wifi, then what happens?

I cant get into Commander as im using two Intel NUC the one in the shed has all the programs in it when i use my normal

house Wifi with Remote desktop its easy i control the camera with sharpcap and NUC

#7 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:32 PM

This reminds me of "apples and oranges" lol.gif

Lemme see If I understand:

- Your trying to connect to the CEM120 POINT-To-POINT WiFi network while at the same time your trying to Wifi into your NUC?

Its two different networks.

Me thinks you might need to use a Serial-to-USB cable INTO the NUC then run ASCOM & iOptron Commander  ON THE NUC.

The do a remote WiFI to the NUC using your normal home WiFI.

Wheeeew...

• psandelle and OldManSky like this

#8 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

- Your trying to connect to the CEM120 POINT-To-POINT WiFi network while at the same time your trying to Wifi into your NUC?

Me thinks you might need to use a Serial-to-USB cable INTO the NUC then run ASCOM & iOptron Commander  ON THE NUC.

Wheeeew...

Attached Thumbnails

• pB43k.jpg

• Xeroid and otis4411 like this

#9 Bowman  Happy Birthday!

Bowman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan/Florida

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:51 PM

As I found out the hard way, using WiFi with an ASI 294 camera is extremely frustrating and well nigh impossible. The 294 is a USB3 camera. USB3 and WiFi operate on the same frequency and, if both are operating, WiFi almost always fails. I have a Mach One mount and a 294 camera. My experience is that the mount, with SkySafari on WiFi, will work for a while, then WiFi shuts off and will not reconnect, even if I change from my iPad to my phone. Save yourself from frustration and hard wire the mount and camera to your computer, iPad, or phone.

Larry Hoffman, M.D.

• Xeroid likes this

#10 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:53 PM

Wheeeew...

blush.gif USB to RS232 to NUC in the Shed https://www.ioptron....duct-p/8435.htm

#11 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:54 PM

Just a possible thought, I have no idea if it's relevant.  On my CEM60 when using StarFi to connect to the mount, there are two modes.  One is access point, I believe the other is station mode.  iOptron says use access point, but only station mode works with my setup.

If you're using the RS-232 port to connect to the mount, and an RS232 to USB converter, the converter is a common failure point.  I recommend iOptrons converter.

#12 amoncayo

amoncayo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:53 AM

No matter what i try i keep getting the same thing showing their is signal but wont connect

to the mount my Wifi connects easy to my ASI294mc Pro Camera

Michael,

There is a post in the CEM120 user group that touches on the topic of connectivity. I asked you to please have a look there.

#13 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Michaeljhogan

Not sure this will work but its easy & cheaper to try:

If your NUC has an Ethernet connector, use that to your CEM120 and TURN OFF the CEM120 Wifi if possible.

You should be able to use iOptron Commander  ON THE NUC via its Ethernet setting.

#14 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:27 AM

The wifi option creates it's own network with just the computer and the mount on it. Note that the wifi link doesn't allow you control anything other than the mount. It's not like it's a gateway to your entire imaging system.

You just need to use a USB cable to connect a computer to the CEM120. I've had mine connected that way for over a year and everything works just fine. There is no need for a USB serial converter but you can use one if you prefer to. Plug it into the RS232 port located at the base of the mount. You can also get the mount on your home network if you have a router or a switch in the observatory using the LAN connection. Then everyone is on the same network and you can access the computer that controls the mount and that computer can access the mount using commander. 

I'd be curious to learn what the point is of using the wifi link if you have a computer at the mount anyway. I get that for visual use at a star party it would be nice to use a planetarium program rather than the hand controller. Other than that, what's the point of that connection?

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle and bobzeq25 like this

#15 amoncayo

amoncayo

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:45 PM

Michael,

There is a post in the CEM120 user group that touches on the topic of connectivity. I asked you to please have a look there.

I cleaned up a set of diagrams I had put together some months back. Please see attached. This is how I connect to my three mounts using the same basic infrastructure.

The reason I use the laptop and iPad is that the laptop is usually in a warm place (my home or camper) and when I go to the mount(s), I use the iPad instead. With Windows RDC, I can switch from one to the other readily.

In fact, I've gotten a bit more advanced recently and have figured out how to configure a VPN router slaved to my main router, so that I can access and operate my observatory securely from anywhere.

Al

Attached File  190522_CEM120_CEM40EC_EQ-G_Comm.pdf   145.92KB   27 downloads

#16 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

The wifi option creates it's own network with just the computer and the mount on it. Note that the wifi link doesn't allow you control anything other than the mount. It's not like it's a gateway to your entire imaging system.

You just need to use a USB cable to connect a computer to the CEM120. I've had mine connected that way for over a year and everything works just fine. There is no need for a USB serial converter but you can use one if you prefer to. Plug it into the RS232 port located at the base of the mount. You can also get the mount on your home network if you have a router or a switch in the observatory using the LAN connection. Then everyone is on the same network and you can access the computer that controls the mount and that computer can access the mount using commander. 

I'd be curious to learn what the point is of using the wifi link if you have a computer at the mount anyway. I get that for visual use at a star party it would be nice to use a planetarium program rather than the hand controller. Other than that, what's the point of that connection?

Rgrds-Ross

The whole point is to not freeze the nuts off myself in the winter i tested the usb lead today from the NUC at the pier to the mount usb port

with a little short usb lead it just wont pick up my mount so it looks like now its two very long Ethernet leads going into the i5 NUc and the CEM120 mount

Edited by Michaeljhogan, 21 May 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#17 Xeroid

Xeroid

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:09 PM

amoncayo:

Excellent!

ONE Ethernet cable to a network switch at the OBS, Wifi for the home device only, mini PC and CEM120 each have specific IP Addresses.

I cleaned up a set of diagrams I had put together some months back. Please see attached. This is how I connect to my three mounts using the same basic infrastructure.

The reason I use the laptop and iPad is that the laptop is usually in a warm place (my home or camper) and when I go to the mount(s), I use the iPad instead. With Windows RDC, I can switch from one to the other readily.

In fact, I've gotten a bit more advanced recently and have figured out how to configure a VPN router slaved to my main router, so that I can access and operate my observatory securely from anywhere.

Al

attachicon.gif 190522_CEM120_CEM40EC_EQ-G_Comm.pdf

#18 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:11 PM

Before giving up USB, try this. Download and install all of the latest firmware and the 6.2 Commander. Open up device manager and check the comm ports. Connect the mount. A new comm port should appear. After that you should be able to connect. If you don't see the comm port then there's something wrong with your installation process or the mainboard is defective. Make sure that you use ALL of the new stuff - firmware and driver and that you have the latest ASCOM Platform installed. Should work fine unless there is something very strange with the NUC. 

I access my mount from home over the internet with this very same connection using Teamviewer or ChromeDesktop and it works perfectly. Connecting the PC to the mount using USB is the simplest possible topology but it's always fun to figure out other ways of doing things. 

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle likes this

#19 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:28 PM

Before giving up USB, try this. Download and install all of the latest firmware and the 6.2 Commander. Open up device manager and check the comm ports. Connect the mount. A new comm port should appear. After that you should be able to connect. If you don't see the comm port then there's something wrong with your installation process or the mainboard is defective. Make sure that you use ALL of the new stuff - firmware and driver and that you have the latest ASCOM Platform installed. Should work fine unless there is something very strange with the NUC. 

I access my mount from home over the internet with this very same connection using Teamviewer or ChromeDesktop and it works perfectly. Connecting the PC to the mount using USB is the simplest possible topology but it's always fun to figure out other ways of doing things. 

Rgrds-Ross

I was using the old Commander with CEM-60 logo

Attached Thumbnails

• 23icsb8.jpg

Edited by Michaeljhogan, 22 May 2019 - 06:29 PM.

• OldManSky likes this

#20 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

major problem out of the way now sent back the iPolar Camera gave me the wrong one again after giving me the wrong backet

Attached Thumbnails

• _mg_3746(1).jpg

#21 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

Im using my own very powerful Wifi dont need to use mount Wifi Hi-Link

Attached Thumbnails

• _mg_3729.jpg

#22 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

You can really skip the iPolar scope and use PHD to polar align the mount for free. I've been experimenting with it the last week or so and it works as well as anything else on the market and it's free and easy to use. Give it a try.

Rgrds-Ross

• psandelle likes this

#23 Michaeljhogan

Michaeljhogan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

You can really skip the iPolar scope and use PHD to polar align the mount for free. I've been experimenting with it the last week or so and it works as well as anything else on the market and it's free and easy to use. Give it a try.

Rgrds-Ross

I cant wait to try it correct me if im wrong it seems like a really smart auto drift alignment and if you want manual

too if you want as well ?

#24 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:37 PM

Yes, PHD 2.6 has a drift alignment tool that's easy to use. Of course, PHD needs to know the focal length so that it can determine the image scale. What it's doing is measuring the deflection of the selected star from zero while not guiding. That deflection can be used to calculate the distance from the pole in azimuth and altitude. Just keep adjusting the mount until you get to zero. You don't need to see Polaris either.

Rgrds-Ross

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: EAA, mount, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics