•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HOTECH Advanced CT Laser Collimator

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dynan

Dynan

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:39 PM

Can anyone comment on the efficacy of the HOTECH Advanced CT Laser Collimator?

Do you use one? Have one? Had one?

Can it be used on a Celestron C-11 that is NOT Fastar/Hyperstar compatible? In other words, do you need to be able to remove the secondary to use the Collimator?

Can it help with centering/rotating the corrector plate?

My collimation is about as good as I can get it with bright-star-out-of-focus, and I still have slightly oblong stars. Could be a flexure issue, but I'd like to eliminate collimation first.

I'm considering getting one but I always respect input from CN experience.

Edited by Dynan, 21 May 2019 - 02:22 AM.

#2 choward94002

choward94002

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area, Central AZ

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:45 PM

Very useful, IMHO one of the better instruments you can get for working on your optics ... lets you get very accurate results in whatever orientation your scope will have during the night, both OTA and HyperStar, where you can fiddle with things on your schedule rather than burning night ...

It will help not only with collimation but also for centering the corrector plate and secondary as well as diagnosing any major optical problems with your focuser (finer you'll need to use CCD Inspector) ...

Highly recommended, they pop up used every six months or so here or on Astromart for about $400 or so ...

• Dynan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics