•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help for eyepieces for a Skywatcher p130 please?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 archangel22

archangel22

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:54 PM

Hi, I am new here. Just got my Skywatcher p130 scope and I love it but I find the 2x default eyepieces that come with it arent that great. They are the 25mm and 10mm for reference. I was testing it to see Jupiter on the weekend however it was a bright yellow blur like a star with rays coming off it. I could see the 2 moons orbiting it though so maybe the time and light pollution didnt help. I am located in a big city. 

Anyway I want to enjoy seeing planets and other deep space objects, can someone kind enough please recommend me some links or exact model and eyepiece size I should aim for? I have looked at some topics and seen lots of numbers thrown around and terms that confuse me. It would help for beginners if alot of the topics had example photos of said space images to show the difference in size and quality you can see with the different lenses as that is the best form to see how good it is I feel. Anyway I am waiting for my cheshire collamating tool to arrive to see if maybe I need to do that as to why Jupiter was blury for me but I still would like additional lenses to enjoy space for me and my wife during our outings. I can see alot of people seem to recommend the eyepiece goldline series. I cant find which brand they are I assume they are an unknown Chinese knockoff as that is all that I can find on ebay really so I hope they are the correct eyepieces. I think 4mm and 6mm eyepieces seem to be popular if that is correct for my needs?

These are links that I found for reference if they are the same brand that most seem to be mentioning here:

https://www.aliexpre...2799048054.html

https://www.ebay.com...pe/132954879600

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:19 AM

The first is a TMB Planetary clone. Long and much argued history to those. The second I cannot tell as it manages to avoid mentioning the number of elements and the grouping arrangement. At a GUESS a 5 element Erfle. Hopefully not an MA.

The Skyeatcher is an f/5 as a rule?

It is also an "honest" f/5 in that it has no barlow in the focuser.

At 650mm focal length and a 10mm eyepiece so 65x I would have half expected some detail on Jupiter. Suppose the eyepieces supplied are Huygens and at f/5 they may be unable to perform.

Need to have an idea of where you are - add it in to the profile details so it appears on posts.

Also need t know what budget you have.

For eyepiece focal length I suggest an 8mm as the "high" power end, at least at first. That would give 81x. Later perhaps a 6mm for 108x. Does make me ask if 108x is sufficent for Saturn. Would prefer 125x or 150x for Saturn. Which is basically a 5mm eyepiece.

For planets I have a 5mm, 6mm and 8mm.

Now which make: I bought Paradigms some years ago and there I stopped. They work well. In US terms they are $60. A recent eyepiece out are the ES 52's, I think they are $1 less.

Not 100% sure of how well the planetary clone works, I have 2 but never in used them. Bought the Paradigms with the planetary's and the Paradigms were better.

The "problem" is that at f/5 and 5mm things get difficult. The scope and whatever eyepiece might work or they might not. There are a few eyepieces that will or have had a specification that they are best in f/6 or slower scopes.

You may find that a good plossl works well in the scope. They are often the initial step up from the supplied if budget is paramount or just plain unsure. Plossl however can have short eye relief.

For safety and future use - assumes that you may get a bigger scope sometime - I would prefer to see you get Paradigms or ES 52's. Thinking is that if a a year you get say a 200P the eyepiece will be good in that so no eyepiece upgrade.

Of the 2 indicated I would hope the Planetary (1) being the better. The second may not be great in f/5 scopes is my thought.

However your location is relevant. Even for buying something as universal as an eyepiece. Odd world/universe isn't it?

#3 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:47 AM

Hello archangel22 and welcome to the forums!

I had a differently branded version of that same scope (AWB OneSky) for a few years and very much enjoyed observing with it. It is primarily a widefield scope that benefits from a good widefield eyepiece. A very fine and complete eyepiece kit for the scope is that good widefield and ONE good high power eyepiece for closer inspection of DSO's, lunar and planetary. My experience and that of others leads to the 2 eyepiece kit being superior for the scope. TWO GOOD EYEPIECES IS A LOT BETTER THAN A WHOLE BAG FULL OF LESS CAPABLE ONES!!!

WIDEFIELD - ES68 24mm is best. 

https://www.astronom...5-eyepiece.html

https://explorescien...roducts/68-24mm

HIGH POWER - Very highly dependent on your local observing conditions but something in the 4.7mm to 7mm range is recommended, such as ES82 4.7mm 

https://explorescien...oducts/82-4-7mm

OR, depending on your local conditions

ES82 6.7mm

https://explorescien...oducts/82-6-7mm

I know that these may be wildly inappropriate for some observers. But you don't give us much to go on. In the future please give us info about your observing conditions, location and budget. You do say what you are wanting to see and that's helpful. Your Cheshire purchase is a good one as collimation is important. Do not worry about the f5 focal ratio of your scope - it's not going to be a problem. Ever, at all. The scope works well.

If you need a budget option for eyepieces the Astro-Tech Paradigm Dual ED 25mm and 5mm would be a good option.

https://www.astronom...iece_series=478

Astronomy relies heavily upon mathematics, the real universal language, to express many core concepts including many important aspects of eyepiece design and performance. BEST example -  

https://www.telescop...LE_OF_CONTENTS 

I hope this is helpful.

Edited by havasman, 21 May 2019 - 07:48 AM.

#4 vdog

vdog

Viking 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:30 AM

Once you collimate your scope, you may find those included eyepieces work better than you think.  Blurry Jupiter usually means out of collimation, bad seeing, or some combo of both.  The first one you can fix; the second one we only wish we could fix.  And Jupiter (especially right now) is big and bright.  I found that, even with a smaller scope, I often needed filters to cut the glare.

The 25mm that comes with a Skywatcher scope is usually a decent EP.  I was never a fan of the 10mm with its short eye relief, but it does the job it's built for.  You should collimate your scope and play around with these while you save for upgrades.

I won't suggest any specific upgrades.  You'll get plenty of suggestions on those, many from folks who own that particular scope. I will suggest a strategy.  Buy quality.  It's worth it.  The semi-upgrades fall by the wayside as you grow into this hobby, and they often have little resale value, so they end up gathering dust.  Quality EPs hold their value both monetarily and as valued members of your EP kit.

Welcome.

• havasman likes this

#5 archangel22

archangel22

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

Ok I am from Sydney Australia I know alot of light pollution but at least for 1 weekend a year will be heading out to the bush with the wife for better clearer skies. Im not smack down in the CBD Im a good 30min drive away from the city lights I can see stars around midnight and the moon crispy clear with its craters etc. Its strange with the naked eye at times I see pitch black but when I look in my scope I see a bunch of stars that my eyes and brain tell me shouldnt be there which is neat. Mostly I will be using it from my backyard essentially in the suburbs. I have been look at some setups for the p130 by putting some black tarp or cloth to surround it for better light gathering just trying to figure out how to do this.

I guess you are right it is a better investment to spend a bit more maybe for better eyepieces rather than going for budget brands. I was thinking around the AUD$30-50 range for an eyepiece but maybe I can bump it up and invest for future use because as I get better using a scope I would love to get a much bigger DOB for the backyard to enjoy things better and bigger. Its just so hard as I am so new to alot of terminologies and people having various brands of eyepieces with different specs but no image of an object to compare it.

For reference I was using this image from reddit hence I was leaning towards a 4mm and 6mm eyepiece as the images seem to be ideal for my needs

http://blog.pixelgir...-650-high_3.png

• vdog likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics