•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A night out with 25mm Fuji ortho

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AtmosFearIC

AtmosFearIC

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:24 AM

I'd recently acquired a pair of 25mm Fuji orthos for binoviewing and they saw first light over the weekend over two nights.

FC100FL was used along with Baader MkV binos and 1.25x & 1.7x GPC. The 25mm was compared against TV 20mm plossls, Vixen 40mm and 9mm NLVs.

Saturday night was still, no dew, transparency appeared good and seeing was possibly a little above average. I used the 1.7xGPC giving magnifications of:

38.25x

61.2x

76.5x

170x

The very first thing I noticed about this eyepieces was the blackouts and my first impression had me thinking that I was going to move them on for a different design (it's not an issue I have with the TV or Vixens) but throughout the evening I get used to them a bit more. With more usage I still have some blackouts but they're not as bad.

The best views were clearly from the 25mm Fuji, the contrast pop from the moon and the fine details rendered left me with a real WOW moment compared to the TV and Vixens. The Fuji had an immediate pop but I noticed that after 20-30s of using the 20mm plossls the contrast and pop improved and approached the Fuji but never quite made the same level. It is more than simple exit pupil and magnification differences as I found that the 40mm NLV, although giving a nice view, didn't have the same pop. The skies didn't support anything special with the 9mm but the views were still great.

Sundays seeing had deteriorated a bit more but I wanted to test the 1.25x GPC as it would put the 25mm closer to the same exit pupil as the 20mm with a 1.7x GPC. I personally found the blackouts a little worse than with the 1.7x GPC but the contrast improvement between the Fuji and TV plossl remained the same.

I have a 4mm and 6mm Fuji ortho which I do mono viewing with but the quality of the 25mm has me thinking about getting the 18, 12.5 and 9 pairs.

Hoping to get a pair of 24mm brandon's to see how they compare to the 25mm orthos. Should possibly track down some 24mm Tak LEs too!

• siriusandthepup, Allan Wade, pao and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics