•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and A Fried Egg, 21May2019

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:39 AM

I had set up earlier to capture the ISS, which turned out pretty lousy in the end, again. I put it down to the dumpy level of my garden and the intoxicating stink of slurry which the neighbouring farmer thoughtfully sprayed all over the freshly harvested field next door - the place smells absolutely rank (but my dogs absolutely love it!).

Jupiter was radiant with the moon in tow and in spite of the lousy seeing conditions and less than favourable altitude (13 degrees), there is at least the GRS evident here and Io too just before it passes into shadow.

Jup_001940_lapl6_ap48.png

Just before I passed out with the smell of slurry I spied Saturn's bendy light poking over the horizon at a heart-sinking 5 degrees (a new personal best!!). Focusing was impossible on either of these two planets by the way but thankfully the moon was there to help out. Seeing was getting worse and worse as the time rolled by but I have noticed the best seeing is generally around an hour or thereabouts before the planets reach their highest (high being relative of course). Not exactly sure why this is the case and if anyone has a reason for it I'd like to hear it. And indeed it was so as the final Jupiter capture is more Planet Stupider than Planet Jupiter tbh and it's now residing in my recycle bin along with most of the data I got in the session. Here's Planet Frisbee 

Sat_014649_lapl6_ap20.jpg

Just then the ISS blazed across the sky for the second time, much higher than the first time, but I had forgotten about it in the meantime and so I missed it. I'll try again tonight.

Later.

• Sunspot, DesertRat, charotarguy and 5 others like this

#2 NorthernlatAK

NorthernlatAK

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:10 AM

Beautiful bendy light! Too bad the dumpy level got you down. Quite amazing you can get such results with jupes low altitude. Lotsa luck with yer next "ISS" capture.

#3 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:15 AM

Thanks, I’ll do my “best”

I forgot to mention that the arms of the ADC were at dislocation-point for these captures. No Barlow, just native f/10 and a IR cut filter.
  • happylimpet likes this

#4 Billytk

Billytk

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Geneva, Fl.

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:23 AM

You just made me hungry.

#5 yock1960

yock1960

Aurora

• Loc: (Crossroad of clouds) Ohio, USA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:51 AM

I have noticed the best seeing is generally around an hour or thereabouts before the planets reach their highest (high being relative of course). Not exactly sure why this is the case and if anyone has a reason for it I'd like to hear it. And indeed it was so as the final Jupiter capture is more Planet Stupider than Planet Jupiter tbh and it's now residing in my recycle bin along with most of the data I got in the session. 

I've been experiencing this also. Not sure why...but it must be 'a thing'.  One theory of mine is local factors, houses are closer when the planets reach culmination forr me, with their radiating roofs and chimneys.

Steve

#6 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra and Strasbourg

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

Good on you for battling on Kevin. Re Jupiter, what is your capture regime now? Are you doing any derotation? 

#7 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

I've been experiencing this also. Not sure why...but it must be 'a thing'. One theory of mine is local factors, houses are closer when the planets reach culmination forr me, with their radiating roofs and chimneys.

Steve

It’s not that here anyway Steve. Unless a field full of shite is screwing up the atmosphere?!
Maybe when it’s later the ground has had chance to cool down quicker than the sea and the resulting offshore winds are beginning to take effect. It’s the opposite during the day. So maybe in the middle is the best time, ie, there’s less off a temperature gradient, one way or the other?

#8 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:14 AM

Good on you for battling on Kevin. Re Jupiter, what is your capture regime now? Are you doing any derotation?

Hi Mark
Well I could just give up but at least I can capture something identifiable so I’ll soldier on. This IS the good season for Astro work here and I’ll do what I can.
No derotation, the images are just too lousy. I did try it a month or so ago but I got nowhere. I lost patience actually.
The roll-off-roof for my observatory is being constructed this week, the concrete base has been poured and has set. No going back for me now!
  • Lacaille likes this

#9 Foc

Foc

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

Great image for indifferent seeing and 13 degrees altitude!    At least you know where your issues arise and are doing very well considering.

Yesterday near midnight my 'better' captures with my C6 in not very good seeing achieved almost the same image as what you have, including the noise (but absent a nice view of a Jupiter moon)  despite the advantage of Jupiter's 62 degrees altitude, so I am certainly admiring your efforts!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2019-05-20-1301_3-L-Jup_ZWO ASI120MC-S_Gain=50(off)_Exposure=4.png

• Lacaille likes this

#10 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:38 AM

I think they are very creditable for the conditions you have to deal with. I was however just wondering if say 4 x 3 min videos of Jupiter would give you a bit more detail, or at least a higher SNR.  It is worth taking a series of videos anyway as seeing can vary over 15-20 mins.  

• wavydavy likes this

#11 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:43 AM

I think they are very creditable for the conditions you have to deal with. I was however just wondering if say 4 x 3 min videos of Jupiter would give you a bit more detail, or at least a higher SNR. It is worth taking a series of videos anyway as seeing can vary over 15-20 mins.

If I took 4 3 min captures, how long is too long before the first and the last capture?
  • phileefan likes this

#12 wavydavy

wavydavy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:54 AM

If I took 4 3 min captures, how long is too long before the first and the last capture?

Simply Start and Stop the recordings every 3 minutes ..take them in a string ...you can combine up to 5 x 3 mins no issues ...Personally,  I use 2.5 minute videos ....so for me ...I have done 6 x 2.5 mins ...the SPLIT them with PIPP to 12 x 75 sec stacks ...All pushed to Winjupos ...OR use less for less overall workload or if the quality is not there in all of them.... Enjoy

• kevinbreen likes this

#13 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

Re: derotation in Winjupos

If I EQ-Tracked while using a wedge with my alt-az CPC 1100, and shot a sequence of captures of Jupiter, then once I had the first capture properly aligned in Winjupos, the rest could be dropped in without adjustment because the wedge would eliminate the field rotation.

Am I right?

#14 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:24 PM

Hi Kevin, in my experience you will find that the ring, once fitted to the first image of the planet, will fit close to the subsequent ones, irrespective of alt-az or equatorial mount. On the other hand, it is only approximate, and you need to be quite meticulous in checking the fit and orientation each time, as well as checking the LD setting to reduce edge effects. This can be quite quick but you must do it every time to be thorough and get the value out of this process.

Make sure you have turned on the WinJUPOS file name option in FC to make life MUCH easier!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics