•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

sky quality meters and cloud sensors?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 iwols

iwols

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:27 AM

hi all weve all been there but picture the scene.Not dark till late ,moon not quite up,not sure if there are thin clouds, not looking perfect,do i go for it? Which leads me on to how good are the sqm and cloud sensors,are they the same thing to some extent, 2 examples

https://www.firstlig...ta-logging.html

or the hitec astro usb weather cloud sensor   all comments suggestions appreciated

#2 Waddensky

Waddensky

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:34 AM

The Unihedron Sky Quality Meters are quite good, although the readings may vary a bit during the first measurements. There are also small differences between devices of the same model, so you might have to 'calibrate' your readings by comparing them to readings from other devices. I own and use a SQM-L and I'm pretty pleased with it.

A cloud sensor is another kind of instrument. As far as I know, they measure sky temperature using an IR sensor to determine cloud cover. But I'm no expert on that particular subject - I'm sure others will chime in.

• iwols likes this

#3 iwols

iwols

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: doncaster uk

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:16 AM

thanks just wondered if the hitec also gave lower readings when it was still lightish,to some extent like the sqm's

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics