•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter-GRS: A 3-inch Déja vu!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Ower Yonder 01.5ºW. 55ºN (UK)

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

Nice sky: planet still beyond the fence (mostly) for the big scope.  I knew the GRS would be getting off the disk so thought to get the co-mounted 3” on it while I waited.

Off guard – instant flashback – I was flung back to my 18-yr old self when I seemingly saw the Spot pretty much looking the size it was in 1962 in that same scope & ep........All too soon realizing that recently there had been a seeming belt curling around it giving a monocled or black-eye effect!

Thus what I was seeing, in the then poorer definition, was the unresolved mass giving that early 60’s size to the GRS.

Even so wonderful memories of my early observing times kept pulsing through me for some while: and that is something else to carry with me now on. 

Edit: Just now told my wife, Denise, that I had reverted to my youth last night.  She responding: “Now you tell me”........blush.gif......... 

Dave.

JUP 3in 2019 May 20.jpg

Edited by David Gray, 21 May 2019 - 10:40 AM.

• Special Ed, paulsky, davidmcgo and 25 others like this

#2 flt158

flt158

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:14 AM

Goodness me, David!

You're right. GRS has a black eye!

And - your wife has a brilliant sense of humour. 

By the way, it's Ludwig's birthday next year. 

He is 250 years young! I'm sure you knew. 

Wondrous sketch. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us. 

Aubrey. 

• David Gray likes this

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:15 AM

My youth was never that good with a 2.4". That's an amazing observation with a 3" aperture. Rivals my 6" save for some resolution and hue saturation at about the same seeing and exit pupil. I suspect your throughput allows for a smaller exit pupil than my obstucted aperture. At 0.5mm and 320x, the image of Jove is too dim and soft contrast details fade from view.

Edited by Asbytec, 21 May 2019 - 09:17 AM.

• David Gray likes this

#4 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

Thanks Aubrey, Norme and those who Liked........smile.gif

I never did follow up on Jupiter with the 16.3” D-K – I felt that magic nostalgia-fest might have vaporized;

so just dedicated the hour following to 3-inch views – Moon, doubles etc.

But I really need to get the D-K on Jupiter’s ‘Black Eye’ next opportunity..........

And - your wife has a brilliant sense of humour. ..........Yup, and she needs it...........grin.gif

By the way, it's Ludwig's birthday next year. He is 250 years young! I'm sure you knew.............. 

Indeed: we are regular Classic fm listeners and presenter John Suchet (brother of actor David – ‘Poirot’)

is a great promoter-of and authority-on Beethoven.

Dave.

Edited by David Gray, 21 May 2019 - 10:41 AM.

• flt158 likes this

#5 astronz59

astronz59

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

Amazing detail for a 3" scope Dave and a beautiful sketch as well. What you are seeing is gas clouds peeling off the GRS. Space Weather has an article by Anthony Wesley: http://www.spaceweather.com/  I saw and sketched this phenomenon recently. The attached sketch shows the beginnings of a 'monocled eye' appearance.

GRS_unravel.jpg  

Edited by astronz59, 21 May 2019 - 12:30 PM.

• Special Ed, Sol Robbins, paulsky and 9 others like this

#6 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

Thanks Astonz.........smile.gif

I’ve seen it on imagery lately but not gave real scrutiny to it.

I tend to go along with a notion of John Rogers (BAA Jupiter) that the Spot is cyclical – or not even the same one as first definitely recorded. He seems to doubt Hooke’s 1664 spot more favouring Cassini’s 1665 one:

“There were no [sightings] of any such feature between 1713 and 1831 – an apparently unbridgeable gap.” (“The Giant Planet Jupiter – page 6).

Also doubts the 1879 recognition as being the old Cassini spot.  His book shows early drawings from the mid-1860s that show it as a very long ellipse about 1/3rd the length of the visible STrZ.  Some of those by such as Antoniadi, Phillps et al; some of whom likely could out-sketch me standing on their heads  – unlikely to be artistically inaccurate.....! 

Such a length against its steady contracting over the decades suggests to me a relatively recent formation/re-formation back in the 1800s.

Whatever: great we might have a Jovian event mid-apparition for a change – even if it is so low here......smirk.gif

Dave

Edited by David Gray, 21 May 2019 - 01:45 PM.

• flt158 likes this

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:10 PM

Dave,

Nice sketch of  Jupiter-GRS: A 3-inch Déja vu! smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: Triton

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:15 PM

Beautiful work Dave.  A testament to your skills with the fine 3" .  The NEB in particular with the darker contrasted festoons and rifts is a nice catch !  I STILL haven't looked up Jove just yet with my scopes this year but a work like this makes me anticipate it ever the more.

Your 3" is definitely a fine optic.

Pete

#9 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:02 PM

Great sketches. BTW, you might find this of interest if you don't already know. 

Something to look for.....

https://spaceweather...pot-unraveling/

Edit: Sorry I didn't realize the link in Post #5 is the same as the one I posted here.

Best,

Edited by Sol Robbins, 21 May 2019 - 07:16 PM.

• frank5817 and Asbytec like this

#10 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:19 PM

David,

A very fine sketch of Jupiter  with the 3" telescope. The GRS has moved to the front page with its new look from the last go around.

Frank :)

#11 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:15 AM

Thanks Tom, Pete, Sol (Link gesture appreciated!), Frank.......

Was up early this a.m. for Saturn but not great seeing – now with this GRS event; and

facing us here tonight – looking like Saturn – or sleep – being side-lined......tongue2.gif

Dave.

#12 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Artignosc, Provence, France

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Nice Dave, thank you to share your sketches with us here, it's always a pleasure.

I wonder if you got the GRS event but with a 3" it's complicated, hope you will try it with your uncredible DK in a while?

Michel

• David Gray likes this

#13 Special Ed

Special Ed

Voyager 1

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:11 AM

Nice work, Dave.  That 3" must be a fine scope--especially in the hands of a skilled observer.  Very interesting event on the following side of the GRS as captured in Bird's image--definitely something to follow.  I may have seen something of it in my May 7th sketch (which is almost the same CM as your drawing).

I've had smells trigger memories like your visual took you back--sounds like happy times.  smile.gif 

• David Gray likes this

#14 David Gray

David Gray

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Michel, Michael........

Forecast is holding - so far - for tonight and the GRS on offer near the meridian.

Smells trigger with me too there is still a lingering nostalgic odour coming from the 3"

when I pull the draw-tube out, and especially the objective end the few times I

pull out the cell.  The flat-blacking paint I think.

The scope is very basic in modern terms: uncoated optics (the Ramsden too). 

Focusing is a simple so-called pull-push 8" drawtube.  Actually pull-push is a

misnomer as I use it very effectively as an ultra-fine thread (twisting) helical focuser.  

I suppose the fanciest thing with it is the air-spaced objective!

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by David Gray, 22 May 2019 - 12:30 PM.

• Aquarellia likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics