•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter in the R130sf

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

What can I say, this grab n go 130m reflector sure punches above its weight, 

Last night I was viewing Jupiter with the 9mm Delite + 2.5x Powermate for 180x, and well, it was a sensational view. Multiple festoons, the GRS was a rich red, the SEB was split into 3 parts, some white ovals were seen, the edges of the NEB and SEB were clearly uneven, and the Galliean Moons were all seen as different sized discs. 

• EverlastingSky, astroneil, LunarRover and 5 others like this

#2 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

What can I say, this grab n go 130m reflector sure punches above its weight, 

Last night I was viewing Jupiter with the 9mm Delite + 2.5x Powermate for 180x, and well, it was a sensational view. Multiple festoons, the GRS was a rich red, the SEB was split into 3 parts, some white ovals were seen, the edges of the NEB and SEB were clearly uneven, and the Galliean Moons were all seen as different sized discs. 

You must have had a 5/5 on seeing. I can't see that kind of detail in my 8" SCT!

• HellsKitchen likes this

#3 REC

REC

Voyager 1

• Loc: NC

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:36 PM

When I was a teen, a 4.5" reflector was a big deal!

• LunarRover and Jon_Doh like this

#4 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:35 PM

The seeing was 100% crap at the start, I almost went inside, but it smoothed out nicely.  I did have to pull myself inside by around 11pm as I have to get up for work at 5:30am. 

The moon was right next to Jupiter so it shined down the tube, killing contrast with its stray light. I even went 325x on the moon and bloody hell the image did not break down! 

Also got a spectacular view of Antares and its companion at 325x during a steady spell. 

I will be grabbing all the short FL Delites. These are spectacular eyepieces.

Edited by HellsKitchen, 21 May 2019 - 10:43 PM.

• jodemur likes this

#5 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:36 AM

That is some good seeing and good performance for a 130mm reflector.  Last year Jupiter was still high enough here to regularly catch a pair of the white ovals in the 110ED and the 127 Mak on good nights, but this year Jupiter is so low that atmospheric dispersion is a big factor...but not so big a factor as the epically bad seeing I have had so far during what is normally the best month for seeing locally.  The good news is that as compensation we have had rain...over three times as much in May so far as we have had in the six prior Mays combined.  Looks like we have another storm coming this weekend, but after that it will likely be bone dry for 4+ months...about half of that will be active wildfire season, which has also been epic in recent years.

#6 Jon_Doh

Jon_Doh

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Just South of Pluto

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

My first telescope was a 4.5" reflector in a cardboard tube from Sears.  

#7 jodemur

jodemur

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: mid. east., Michigan, USA--Bortle 4.5 skies

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

The seeing was 100% crap at the start, I almost went inside, but it smoothed out nicely.  I did have to pull myself inside by around 11pm as I have to get up for work at 5:30am. 

The moon was right next to Jupiter so it shined down the tube, killing contrast with its stray light. I even went 325x on the moon and bloody hell the image did not break down! 

Also got a spectacular view of Antares and its companion at 325x during a steady spell. 

I will be grabbing all the short FL Delites. These are spectacular eyepieces.

Yep! you have to be out there regardless to have any hope of encountering a sky like that. Congrats on your perseverance.

I noticed on Spaceweather  yesterday that they are seeing what appears to be an unravelling of the GRB; dark red threads pealing off. Did you happen to notice any of that?

#8 LunarRover

LunarRover

Sputnik

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

My first "real" scope over 40 years ago was an Edmund 4.25 inch and best view I've ever had of Jupiter was in an old Edmund 6" f/8 back in the 80's I got from a guy off Starry Messenger. Festoons, ovals, swirls, it was better than Hubble. I was probably using cheapy a Kellner or maybe even a Ramsden eyepiece. 

I haven't seen it that well in any scope up to 13 inches since. Of course it could have been the best night of the century and a close approach but I think those fine optics had a lot to do with it. Traded that dented tube OTA towards a C8 back in the day. What I'd give to have it back.

I'm a small scope fanatic and I frequently use an XT4.5 and 102 Mak. Don't knock small cheapy scopes. If you collimate them at high power on an *in focus* star, and they will perform admirably.

#9 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

Yep! you have to be out there regardless to have any hope of encountering a sky like that. Congrats on your perseverance.

I noticed on Spaceweather  yesterday that they are seeing what appears to be an unravelling of the GRB; dark red threads pealing off. Did you happen to notice any of that?

I do not recall seeing that red part of the GRS peeling off,  seen in the pic here: https://spaceweather...pot-unraveling/  Ofcourse, I didn't know this was happening so wasn't looking for it. But I did see that thin brown belt "looping" around it.  Unfortunately the forecast is terrible (both clouds and jetstream - all hail winter!!!) so no observing for a while. 

Hang on.... it is clear right now, I should getting ready for bed but instead I might take a peak at Jupiter...

Edited by HellsKitchen, 24 May 2019 - 06:24 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics