•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

question about a red dot gun sight

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:24 AM

has anyone used one of these on their telescope. if so, what would be the best one to use and were to purchase it. thanks, don

#2 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

I use this one:  https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the same as many other sell under different brand names.

It works really well.  The only downside is that even at the dimmest setting, the reticle is too bright for night-time use on stars (the star gets lost in the glare of the red dot/circle/etc.).

There's an easy fix, though -- open up the back end where the window for the projected reticle is, and add some kind of filter on the back of the glass.

I first used a little piece of exposed film, and that worked fine.  I replaced that later with a little piece of gel neutral-density filter I got from a filter pack for my camera speedlights -- that worked better.  It's just the right brightness now.

• Jon Isaacs and Knasal like this

#3 buddy ny

buddy ny

Viking 1

• Loc: USA N.Carolina

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

Not quite a red dot sight
But the Rigel has dimmer capabilities,, & has a blinking circular red ring
( bulls eye).
If not for you. Try
https://agenaastro.com/
Or
https://www.telescope.com
Or our astemed host
https://www.astronomics.com/

#4 J.LAMBIE

J.LAMBIE

Vostok 1

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:54 AM

Not an answer to your specific question, but here's my rig.   Green laser shotgun sight as pointer.  https://smile.amazon...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Works a treat even below freezing.

Attached Thumbnails

• post-276562-0-25811600-1528495129_thumb.jpg
  • post-276562-0-62857800-1528495081.jpg

#5 PirateMike

PirateMike

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:56 AM

I use the same one as OldManSky and it works great.

I will have to try adding a "dimming filter" though. Thanks for the idea OMS! waytogo.gif

Miguel   8-)

Edited by PirateMike, 21 May 2019 - 11:57 AM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#6 Knasal

Knasal

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

It works really well.  The only downside is that even at the dimmest setting, the reticle is too bright for night-time use on stars (the star gets lost in the glare of the red dot/circle/etc.).

There's an easy fix, though -- open up the back end where the window for the projected reticle is, and add some kind of filter on the back of the glass.

I first used a little piece of exposed film, and that worked fine.  I replaced that later with a little piece of gel neutral-density filter I got from a filter pack for my camera speedlights -- that worked better.  It's just the right brightness now.

I like your “filter” idea, too. Are you able to upload a picture of what it looks like when you look at the red dot projection window to see your fix?

Thanks,

Kevin

#7 Chirp1

Chirp1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:28 PM

I used this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0508171714.jpg

#8 pregulla

pregulla

Mariner 2

• Loc: Israel

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:01 PM

I got similar sight from AliExpress, + rail and riser:

https://www.cloudyni...er-mini-review/

#9 donald41

donald41

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: bartlesville oklahoma

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:08 PM

oldmansky, i had one of those red dot sights and i will agree the dimmest setting is way too bright. the other thing i dont like about these sights is having to use a allen wrench to adjust it and not only that ( i must have got a bad one) it got to a point were it would not adjust. while turning the wrench it would not move. i would love using a laser but with planes fling over head at night from the local airport i would be leery about that.     

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:12 PM

oldmansky, i had one of those red dot sights and i will agree the dimmest setting is way too bright. the other thing i dont like about these sights is having to use a allen wrench to adjust it and not only that ( i must have got a bad one) it got to a point were it would not adjust. while turning the wrench it would not move. i would love using a laser but with planes fling over head at night from the local airport i would be leery about that.     

:waytogo:

Needing an Allen wrench to adjust it is a real problem.  For me, it means I can only use it with a single scope and that scope needs to be a refractor because collimating a scope means the finder must be realigned.  

Jon

#11 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

I like your “filter” idea, too. Are you able to upload a picture of what it looks like when you look at the red dot projection window to see your fix?

Thanks,

Kevin

Not until tonight when I get home from work...but I will then.

• Knasal likes this

#12 Myk Rian

Myk Rian

Viking 1

• Loc: Hartland, Michigan

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

I got similar sight from AliExpress, + rail and riser:

I have one or 2 very similar. One is always in my Obi 20x80s case.

Myk

#13 epee

epee

Gemini

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:51 AM

I find gunsights too bright, unless you have a widefield scope that doesn't really need critical pointing to find the target and you plan to use it as a terrestrial scope.

#14 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:41 AM

As promised, here's how to modify the gunsight I linked to above so it's dimmer. 

(part 1)

The first image shows the window that the laser projects through.  The back side of this window is where you want to put your filter.

The second image shows the four screws (on the bottom side of the finder) to remove so you can take off the cover for the laser that has the window built into it.  They're very small Phillips-head screws.  Be gentle, most of this finder is metal but the laser cover is plastic, so don't crank down too hard on the screws.

The third image shows the laser cover removed -- on the inside is taped a piece of gel filter (you can use exposed film, colored plastic, whatever you have on hand) over the back of the window.  Whatever you put here will be in front of the laser as it goes out.

Attached Thumbnails

• laserwindow.jpg
  • findermod_screws.jpg
  • tapefilter.jpg

#15 OldManSky

OldManSky

Apollo

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

(part 2)

The final two images show a "before and after:"

The first image shows the brightness of the projected laser at the LOWEST brightness setting *before* adding the filter to the window.  It's pretty bright, 'cause these things are designed to be used in daylight.

The second image shows the brightness of the projected laser at the HIGHEST brightness setting *after* adding the filter to the window.  I had to use the highest setting because at the lowest setting, my camera wouldn't pick it up!

I used two layers of filter gel from a set I got for my Canon speedlights:

https://www.stagelig...URoCO6kQAvD_BwE

You used to be able to get these for free at Calumet and other photo stores just by asking for them (it's a Rosco gel filter sample pack).  That's how I got mine.

I used an ND4 filter, two layers.  I just cut two little snips off a corner and taped them in place behind the laser window.

Hope that helps!

Paul

Attached Thumbnails

• beforemod.jpg
  • aftermod.jpg

Edited by OldManSky, 22 May 2019 - 08:49 AM.

• telesonic and Simon B like this

#16 Knasal

Knasal

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:33 AM

Wow, thanks for all your work to put these posts together, OMS!

Really helpful - now if you’ll excuse me, I have a little project to get to!

Kev waytogo.gif smile.gif

#17 pregulla

pregulla

Mariner 2

• Loc: Israel

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

I just cut out a piece of red acrylic filter and "tacked" it with bluetack in front of the window. My sight had red and green modes, now red is still nearly as bright, but green is dim enough on dimmest setting and I basically have 10 brightness modes :D

• OldManSky likes this

#18 tdavis4785

tdavis4785

Lift Off

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:26 PM

Try getting one that is night vision compatible. Those have settings that are much dimmer so they do not wash out the image in a night vision device.

#19 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:47 AM

Try getting one that is night vision compatible. Those have settings that are much dimmer so they do not wash out the image in a night vision device.

How do you plan to use it? 

Why not just put a reticule somewhere in the optical path?

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics