•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Insulation for a Mak! Is it the way to go?

DIY equipment Maksutov optics
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 punk35

punk35

Viking 1

• Loc: Adrian Michigan

Posted 08 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

Good points gentleman. I only chose the moon because it was still daylight and no stars were visible. Next time I try this I’ll use a star, note the temp inside the house and outside, etc.  I maybe erroneously thought that if there were a bunch of tube currents, they would also be visible in an in focus image of the moon also. I suppose it would be difficult to differentiate tube currents from atmospheric turbulence using an in focus image. At least it wasn’t a total failure, as I learned a few things. Apologies if I wasted anyone’s time. 

#102 Reid W

Reid W

Viking 1

• Loc: Shreveport, LA

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:40 PM

All I see there is atmospheric turbulence (seeing). You won't see the plume by pointing it (focussed) at the moon.

You really need to point it at a bright star, and defocus a tad to see the heat plume. And if there, it will be visible immediately - no need to sit through 12 minutes of video.

What would more interesting would be a video of a star,

- Starting with the scope warm, NO Reflectix, and out of focus so the internal plume is very visible;

- Start the camera rolling, 

- While the camera is rolling, apply the insulating jacket (I can do this on mine);

- Record as the plume dissipates,

- Every 5 minutes speak the time, so its recorded on the video.

And edit it down so we don't have to watch 30 minutes.

My Reflectix is attached in a way that is inconvenient to remove.

Do you mind performing this experiment for everyone?

C11 Thermal Wrap

• punk35 likes this

#103 luxo II

luxo II

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:29 PM

Might be a while - I'm laid low with the flu at moment (it's winter here).

Edited by luxo II, 08 June 2019 - 11:33 PM.

• Procyon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, equipment, Maksutov, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics