•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is your QSI temperature reading incorrect?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ralph Paonessa

Ralph Paonessa

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mojave Desert, California

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

Is anyone having a problem with the temperature readout from their cooled QSI camera? I posted about this problem in December, and finally sent my QSI 683wsg back to the UK to be checked out. The problem was that as soon as I powered the camera on, it reported a very low temperature, such as -40.7 C, which is obviously wrong.

QSI found after extensive testing that the camera hardware is working properly. But to their surprise, when they operated the camera with Maxim DL (ASCOM), the problem still occurred.

Furthermore, they tried two new cameras from stock and see the same problem.

Their first response was to suspect software changes, such as in ASCOM, and asked if I'd made any software changes. However, I operated the camera with TheSkyX Pro and their X2 driver (doesn't use ASCOM) when I got the faulty temperature readings. So two separate software packages/drivers have the problem, which makes me wonder if it's a firmware issue (or some Windows Update issue).

Somewhere along the line I updated to the latest QSI firmware 7.1.1. Unfortunately I don't remember when. But I first noticed the problem December 20, 2018,and it was fine the day before. But this would suggest that other QSI users might experience this problem.

Do you see this problem on your QSI body, and what is your firmware version? (QSI is of course continuing to debug this from their end.)

Thanks,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Paonessa, 21 May 2019 - 06:17 PM.

#2 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:29 PM

Doesn't Maxim DL use native QSI driver? I am not sure if ASCOM driver for QSI cameras exits. Many, if not all, capture software such as Maxim DL, SGP, Nebulosity, etc. use native QSI drivers. So, try use QSI native drivers.

From your post, you use TheSkyXPro and X2 driver and see issues, so I would contact Bisque about this. Can you use native QSI driver with TheSkyPro?

Bottom line, it sounds like a software driver problem.

Peter

#3 Ralph Paonessa

Ralph Paonessa

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mojave Desert, California

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:59 PM

Doesn't Maxim DL use native QSI driver? I am not sure if ASCOM driver for QSI cameras exits. Many, if not all, capture software such as Maxim DL, SGP, Nebulosity, etc. use native QSI drivers. So, try use QSI native drivers.

From your post, you use TheSkyXPro and X2 driver and see issues, so I would contact Bisque about this. Can you use native QSI driver with TheSkyPro?

Bottom line, it sounds like a software driver problem.

Keep in mind that the problem occurs with two independent drivers:

• TheSkyX with X2 driver
  • Maxim DL with whatever driver it uses

I don’t have the camera now, it’s with QSI. With TSX I could also use the generic ASCOM driver instead of X2. ( I probably tried that when scrambling for a solution to the problem, but I honestly can’t say for sure that I did.) 

I’m not sure what the “native“ QSI driver is. I assume that’s what shipped with the camera software. Isn’t that what either ASCOM or X2 would interact with? If so then that QSI driver could be flaky. 

This is a good example of if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Instead I went looking for firmware and driver updates, to solve no particular problem. (As opposed to TSX, CCDAP, or ASCOM updates which presumably fix known problems.) 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics