•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Alien platforms

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

Anybody tried one of these? $318 seems like a very low price for a dob tracking platform that can support a 16". https://sites.google...atform-invasion

#2 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

I bought one @ 5 years ago for the XT10i. It was poorly made with the drive shaft/motor mating shaft made on a bench grinder by someone who little about how to do it. I braced it, provided some cover to the exposed motor and squared up some of the angles at which mating planes met. It was not useful to me and I gave it away to a club member at a meeting. Shortly thereafter they went out of business. Apparently they're back but be sure to check.

Based on my experience, not recommended.

But they ARE cheap.

• Jon Isaacs, spaceoddity, airbleeder and 1 other like this

#3 N3p

N3p

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:52 PM

I bought one @ 5 years ago for the XT10i. It was poorly made with the drive shaft/motor mating shaft made on a bench grinder by someone who little about how to do it. I braced it, provided some cover to the exposed motor and squared up some of the angles at which mating planes met. It was not useful to me and I gave it away to a club member at a meeting. Shortly thereafter they went out of business. Apparently they're back but be sure to check.

Based on my experience, not recommended.

But they ARE cheap.

lol.gif

#4 dave brock

dave brock

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:25 AM

N3p.
What's so funny?
  • airbleeder likes this

#5 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:42 PM

I would be wary of a product with a poor past reputation. The site does not give much information and for the most part, a new company usually rolls out it's new product with fanfare which includes testing and user reports.

Based on the site alone, I would not purchase from them.

Edited by cuzimthedad, 22 May 2019 - 05:42 PM.

#6 Itz marcus

Itz marcus

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Brooklyn NY

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Hi,

Look into these. I don't know much about it but it does seem nicely made and he is a cloudynights vendor.

https://www.cloudyni...m-price-update/

It seems like he makes them as per order

Clear skies

Itz

• spaceoddity likes this

#7 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:40 PM

Hi,

Look into these. I don't know much about it but it does seem nicely made and he is a cloudynights vendor.

https://www.cloudyni...m-price-update/

It seems like he makes them as per order

Clear skies

Itz

Yeah I've seen him list a few on the classifieds before, thanks. Optical Ed makes kits that I was interested in too. 

#8 Tempus

Tempus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:29 AM

Hey, I'm the club member that havasman donated the platform to. I was hoping it would work marginally for my 12" dob. In that regard, havasman is 100% correct, for nearly all use-cases its a piece of junk. That said, it does minimally work with my 8" dob and I suspect weight is a big issue impacting it performance and the result of the poor design/build. Having used one, I can say with all certainty I'd never pay for a platform from them, just not that good. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics