•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to the hobby, restoring a Tasco 11T Lunagrosso

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

Hey all, first posting here and the start of my 'what on Earth am I doing' Tasco restoration project.

I realise the limitations of these old scopes and mine ( which I rescued from the dump) has some issues which I will document here. A quick list -

1) Tube full of spiders and dust.
2) Missing eyepieces (all of them)
3) Broken bracket where the scope collar attaches to the mount.
4) Dirty mirrors
5) Scratched and dented tube.

On the upside it is complete on the nice vintage wooden tripod.

More to follow, with pics :-)
  • GeneDiG, jcruse64 and Russell Smith like this

#2 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Viking 1

• Loc: 76707

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:51 PM

First off, welcome.
Yes photos.
Lastly, welcome again

#3 dgreyson

dgreyson

Viking 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:05 PM

Third : welcome!
Fourth : Dont try to clean the mirrors. The coatings are too easy to scratch and that makes it worse.

Telescope spiders aren't excessively venomous, but, good luck.

#4 BarabinoSr

BarabinoSr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Slidell La

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

Fourth, Welcome! This is the place where there are members with good advice to help you with your telescope. You will need to learn  how to disassemble the instrument to get to the optics to clean without scratching   and reinstall them, in addition as how to realign after remounting them. It may be possible to find the parts you need on sites like the CN Classifieds, ebay , or Astromart . Again, don't be afraid of tackling this job! You can do it !! BTW be careful when you handle those mirrors- Lord Klutz is always lurking !!! undecided.gif undecided.gif Good luck, Gary.

#5 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, much appreciated :-)

I'm working out how to upload images so until I figure that out (mine are ALWAYS too large !) here's a shared Google Photos album - 

https://photos.app.g...3X6Uh6hrrk3Rjf8

Cheers

#6 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

Morning and welcome back into the hobby, 

In your photo's the scope is kind of upside down, the focuser and finder should be on the other side, will make it much easier to view with.

In a post that I made in the Beginners forum I explained in detail the removal of the rear mirror cell, in your pictures it looks to be fastened on with screws, that pre -dates the glued on cells of the late '80's & '90's, much easier to work with as explained in my other post.

It's in better shape than I first imagined, and it has the standard clock drive, that's truly a score, hope the drive works, they can be resurrected too, amazing that in those days things were built to last and be repaired.

There are several video's on Youtube on cleaning the mirrors, watch them before you start, but remember the coating's on the old mirrors are very delicate compared to what the newer scopes use.

The mirror's can be re-coated, and center spotted for collumation.

I envy your acquisition.

• markoneswift likes this

#7 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:19 AM

Looks like a good cleaning is all it may need.

#8 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Apollo

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:18 PM

Welcome aboard.....

You have come to the right place

Extemely knowledgable and helpful folks are here for you (and me)

I could donate a couple of basic eyepieces to your cause from a rescue I did

.965 size eyepieces   right ?

Barry

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 22 May 2019 - 02:19 PM.

#9 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:59 PM

Morning and welcome back into the hobby, 

In your photo's the scope is kind of upside down, the focuser and finder should be on the other side, will make it much easier to view with.

In a post that I made in the Beginners forum I explained in detail the removal of the rear mirror cell, in your pictures it looks to be fastened on with screws, that pre -dates the glued on cells of the late '80's & '90's, much easier to work with as explained in my other post.

It's in better shape than I first imagined, and it has the standard clock drive, that's truly a score, hope the drive works, they can be resurrected too, amazing that in those days things were built to last and be repaired.

There are several video's on Youtube on cleaning the mirrors, watch them before you start, but remember the coating's on the old mirrors are very delicate compared to what the newer scopes use.

The mirror's can be re-coated, and center spotted for collumation.

I envy your acquisition.

Hey thanks, I am struggling to work out what the 'correct' orientation of the scope should be - it definitely isn't right at the moment! I watched a Youtube clip on a guy showing how to use an EQ mount and he was able to swing his scope around easily once he had released the clutches. I seem to have at least one very frozen up clutch so I think some mount disassembly and lubrication is in order. I'll worry about setting it up properly once everything at least moves freely.

The clock drive is intact but not operational. I can wind it up - gently - and it runs but there's no motion from the drive gears even just running it disconnected from the mount. Are there any articles anywhere describing a repair of one of these drives?

I think the biggest issue is going to be repairing the scope collar mounting bracket - both ends of the bracket, where the large bolts connect through to the scope collar, are sheared off so I need to look into either some type of chemical weld or even replacing that part of the mount.

Cheers

Justin.

#10 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:59 PM

Welcome aboard.....

You have come to the right place

Extemely knowledgable and helpful folks are here for you (and me)

I could donate a couple of basic eyepieces to your cause from a rescue I did

.965 size eyepieces   right ?

Barry

Thanks so much Barry. I sent you a PM. 

Cheers

#11 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:44 AM

Hey thanks, I am struggling to work out what the 'correct' orientation of the scope should be - it definitely isn't right at the moment! I watched a Youtube clip on a guy showing how to use an EQ mount and he was able to swing his scope around easily once he had released the clutches. I seem to have at least one very frozen up clutch so I think some mount disassembly and lubrication is in order. I'll worry about setting it up properly once everything at least moves freely.

The clock drive is intact but not operational. I can wind it up - gently - and it runs but there's no motion from the drive gears even just running it disconnected from the mount. Are there any articles anywhere describing a repair of one of these drives?

I think the biggest issue is going to be repairing the scope collar mounting bracket - both ends of the bracket, where the large bolts connect through to the scope collar, are sheared off so I need to look into either some type of chemical weld or even replacing that part of the mount.

Cheers

Justin.

Keep in mind that the drive gear rotates very very slowly, wish I could set my hands on it, I used to repair antique wind up trains.

#12 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

Posted 23 May 2019 - 07:47 AM

Another neat thing about the mount is that it can be set as an Alt/As mount for daytime terrestrial viewing and you could adapt the mount head to accept smaller rings for a short tube refractor.

Here's another option on the drive, I just experimented with a couple of battery powered units, one from Ebay and another from Amazon, the one from Ebay drives in the proper direction for the southern hemisphere and might fit right on there, that wind up drive is valuable, worth more than the scope.

You might try taking it to a watchsmith and see if it's something he could fix, but again be careful who you turn that over to for repairs, there are no spare parts. 

Edited by Mike W., 23 May 2019 - 07:51 AM.

#13 Mike W.

Mike W.

Vanguard

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

Or you might ask an antique dealer of a person they would recommend,

On early wind up devices they would use tiny rivets to fasten the housings together, there's a bit of an art to removing them without damaging them so they can be reused, some used metal tabs that would twist in a slot to secure the two half's of the housing together.

Don't soak it in oil or spraying it with WD-40 or anything like that, might try light tapping on the housing while its slightly wound, try not to wind it too many times, bound up main springs will break, and like I said, there are no spare parts or replacements. 

#14 mfalls

mfalls

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston Mountains Arkansas

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Cheers

Justin.

I have two red Tasco 11T telescopes, one is mostly for parts. If you could post a photo of the broken scope collar bracket I might have a part that would work.  I am away from home and the parts telescope for a couple of weeks.

#15 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:36 PM

Cheers

Justin.

I have two red Tasco 11T telescopes, one is mostly for parts. If you could post a photo of the broken scope collar bracket I might have a part that would work.  I am away from home and the parts telescope for a couple of weeks.

Hey that's a really kind offer, thank you. I'll try to get a good picture of the affected part. It's probably easier than trying to explain which part of the mount is broken using my limited astronomical language :-)

rsz_20190523_071654.jpg

rsz_20190523_071724.jpg

Edited by markoneswift, 23 May 2019 - 09:44 PM.

#16 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

I figured out picture posting - woohoo ! lol.

#17 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:47 PM

As chance would have it, a seller just posted a triple collection of Kellner 0.965 eyepieces on Trademe (our local versin of Ebay) for only $25 NZD buy now. I hit the button straight away, so I should be able to report on the imaging of this old girl very soon :-)

#18 mfalls

mfalls

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston Mountains Arkansas

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:41 AM

Hey that's a really kind offer, thank you. I'll try to get a good picture of the affected part. It's probably easier than trying to explain which part of the mount is broken using my limited astronomical language :-)

attachicon.gif rsz_20190523_071654.jpg

attachicon.gif rsz_20190523_071724.jpg

Good chance I have the correct part. Will private message you when I get back home.

#19 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

Excellent, thanks heaps @mfalls

#20 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

Third : welcome!
Fourth : Dont try to clean the mirrors. The coatings are too easy to scratch and that makes it worse.

Telescope spiders aren't excessively venomous, but, good luck.

TS is in New Zealand, hope the spiders aren't katipos (NZ close relative of the North America black widow and Australian redback)

#21 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:29 PM

TS is in New Zealand, hope the spiders aren't katipos (NZ close relative of the North America black widow and Australian redback)

Fortunately they are all long dead :-)

#22 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:03 AM

The .965 eyepieces arrived today but have only had time to check that they physically fit in the focuser - which they do.

I realise I need a decent finder scope too now - after pulling the supplied one apart, I realised it's junk. Anyone recommend a good beginner finder scope please?

#23 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

The Tasco 11T Lunagraso was the second scope I owned, got mine in 1968. It was a great scope that I wish I still had. Once you get yours going I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

#24 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 May 2019 - 05:28 AM

Hmm I thought I had updated this thread, but never mind ! Here goes - 

I took out the primary mirror, secondary with spider(?), focuser and finder scopes. Mirrors are now in a weak detergent bath and then will get rinsed off tomorrow with distilled water and cotton balls.

I have started stripping the mount, which I believe is an EQ-3. I'd like to find a setup or service guide for this mount, would anyone know of a guide anywhere?

The finder is crap - a horrible 5 x 24 with a diagonal. I'm looking for some suggestions on an alternative please !

I'll hopefully be able to strip the mount down completely soon and regrease it all. I need to find a repairer for the wind up clock drive and I also need to clean and refinish the tripod legs. 

I need a dust cap / cover too.

It's very late here so I'll report back on mirror cleaning progress tomorrow.

Cheers

Justin. 

#25 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:42 AM

I got the mirrors cleaned up. The primary is a not bad, there's some swirling on the face (not my doing - there already) but not major. There's also quite a few blotches, as if organic matter has been left on there too long. I've been very carefully cleaning, rinsing, cleaning, rinsing but the marks will not go away.

I have decided to reassemble the scope with the mirrors in much better, but not perfect, condition. I've lubricated the focuser because it was REALLY tight and reassembled it along with the mirrors. I now need to find a collimation guide for a Newtonian....any suggestions for a good one?

Cheers

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics