•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to the hobby, restoring a Tasco 11T Lunagrosso

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 markoneswift

markoneswift

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Hamilton, New Zealand

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

Another update, with some photos to follow soon. Thanks to a fellow local enthusiast, the Tasco is now up and running and I had another quick observing session this morning as we had a particularly clear sky. 

I now have a bunch of .965 eyepieces, some of which are nice quality Japanese manufactured units with a really nice weight to them. I also have two 2x Barlows AND a decent finder scope, all courtesy of my new contact (thanks Dave, if you're reading this).

I got some really good close views of the moon this morning - I"m keeping my targets simple for now, until I get everything set up properly - and I managed to get my first moon images with my Sony NEX-5N.

Dave helped me to collimate the Tasco properly by attaching his laser collimator to an eyepiece adapter. It was quite a way out after I reassembled everything following cleaning. He was able to get it really well aligned though, with not much effort. I can certainly see the difference good collimation makes.

I've got a few more things to do such as lubricate the mount bearings etc, clean the OTA a bit more, and of course pray for some clear skies to do more observing!

• mfalls and TSSClay like this

#27 LMcKeen

LMcKeen

Lift Off

• ***--

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:23 PM

I have 3 Tasco 11TE Lunagrosso telescopes. One of them is under the Sears brand. I need to find bolts for the mirror cell but cannot find anything. They are not metric nor are they SAE.

The optics are well worth the effort of obtaining the hardware to collimate the main mirror.

#28 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:19 AM

I have 3 Tasco 11TE Lunagrosso telescopes. One of them is under the Sears brand. I need to find bolts for the mirror cell but cannot find anything. They are not metric nor are they SAE.

The optics are well worth the effort of obtaining the hardware to collimate the main mirror.

Hi - I'd be almost 100% certain these are one of the multi-branded 4.5" Newtonian reflectors (f/l 900mm) that came out under the Tasco umbrella (probably initially from Towa perhaps) that I have as a "Topic" scope. waytogo.gif

It is also the same for my Royal Astro LNE-4 Newt. (100/1000mm)

The machine screws (bolts) for both the collimating as well as those that hold the mirror cell in its holder (3 sets of 2) are actually 5mm metric - but JIS coarse (Japanese Industry Standard) 0.9pitch as opposed to standard 0.8 pitch for 5mm metrics.

Grendel posted a link to the UK suppliers of these screws after I posted about them...these were used in Japan up to around 1967...if you can't find his link let me know & I'll dig it up...I can source them here in Oz although in a limited number as they all come from the UK - getting longer ones than those that come as a standard in these scopes allows more room for inserting springs under the "holding" ones of each pair to effect much better collimation action.

PrimaryCellInHolder.jpg

Edited by Kokatha man, 13 February 2020 - 07:21 AM.

#29 LMcKeen

LMcKeen

Lift Off

• ***--

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:13 AM

I am definitely interested in obtaining these screws. Thank you so much!

#30 LMcKeen

LMcKeen

Lift Off

• ***--

Posted 18 February 2020 - 09:26 AM

Found a link:

https://www.ebay.co....a7gKt91EZ82yVSw

#31 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 18 February 2020 - 07:23 PM

Cheers bro!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics