•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron SLT Question

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

I have an almost brand new SLT mount on the way. No scope.

I was wondering:

A) Can just upgrade the firmware to have the 40,000 object DB instead of the 4,000 (or did they skimp on memory flr the SLT versions)?

B) If not, can I use any recent 40k NexStar+ hand controller with the SLT mount? Even if it came off a Celestron GEM?

Thanks for your wisdom in advance!

Clear skies

Jeff

#2 Taosmath

Taosmath

Viking 1

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:54 PM

I just wonder if the database upgrade buys you anything.  After all how many objects out of 40,000 could you see in any scope that you could mount on an SLT?  I put a C5 on an SLT mount and that was OK, but I wouldn't be comfortable that a C6 would work on an SLT mount.  How many objects could you see in a C5?

I've been doing astronomy for about 5 years now and I suppose I've looked at a few hundred different objects.  At that rate I'd have to live (and observe!) until I was over 100 to exhaust even a 4000 item database !

Even if there were some specific objects that you wanted to see that weren't in the database, you can always enter the targets RA & Dec and the scope will goto those co-ords.

So in my opinion, it would not be worth the cost or hassle to upgrade the hand controller, even if it can be done.

• wrvond likes this

#3 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:02 PM

I have an almost brand new SLT mount on the way. No scope.

I was wondering:

A) Can just upgrade the firmware to have the 40,000 object DB instead of the 4,000 (or did they skimp on memory flr the SLT versions)?

B) If not, can I use any recent 40k NexStar+ hand controller with the SLT mount? Even if it came off a Celestron GEM?

Thanks for your wisdom in advance!

Clear skies

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Celestron never updated their marketing info in that respect as they migrated the NexStar GT series forward to the SLT series.  When the SLT was first introduced it came with a version 4 hand control.  The hardware was identical to the larger NexStar models' hand control and the SLT-specific firmware had almost the same database as the larger NexStars (the CCD, IC and Abell objects were omitted).  The actual object count on the larger models was 46,106 while the SLT had 37,981.  Since the hardware was the same, I've generally advised SLT owners with a version 4 hand control to load the NXS firmware rather than the SLT_LCM firmware.  In addition to these "missing" objects, it adds support for equatorial alignment.

All that said, once the SLT started shipping with the newer NexStar+ hand control in 2012, the firmware for all alt-az models became the same.  So, all models now have the "40,000+" database. Celestron has not published any details on the actual database in the NexStar+ and I haven't bothered to manually tally up what is there.  But off the top of my head, I recall that they dropped the CCD (27 objects) and Abell (2712 objects) in the NexStar+ hand control so the total is probably around 43,400.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#4 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:11 AM

I understand "What would you hope to see?" comments.

Double Stars to be honest. I would assume a good portion of those 46K objects are just SAO stars (some of which are doubles). Sure sure some NGC/IC or Abell/MGC/PGC etc are ridiculous for any scope that could hope to be mounted on an SLT.

I understand! I have a 22 inch dob if I am looking for Abell's!!! And friends with 24 and 28 inch dobs! Even an acquaintance with a 48 inch dob! shocked.gif

I was interested in the double star DB... which I assumed was many 1000s of the 'objects' in the '40k' DB.

No?

• Taosmath likes this

#5 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:35 AM

Double Stars to be honest. I would assume a good portion of those 46K objects are just SAO stars (some of which are doubles). Sure sure some NGC/IC or Abell/MGC/PGC etc are ridiculous for any scope that could hope to be mounted on an SLT.

I understand! I have a 22 inch dob if I am looking for Abell's!!! And friends with 24 and 28 inch dobs! Even an acquaintance with a 48 inch dob! shocked.gif

I was interested in the double star DB... which I assumed was many 1000s of the 'objects' in the '40k' DB.

No?

Per my response, the databases are now the same (since the NexStar+ hand control was introduced in 2012) so this is largely a moot point.

Regarding the double star list - that has always been the same in all hand controls since version 4.  It is a fairly short list of 55 doubles.  The SAO star list is approximately 29,500.  Both of these might be more or less in the NexStar+ hand control - I haven't checked.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Edited by Michael_Swanson, 22 May 2019 - 12:36 AM.

#6 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:42 AM

For the actual database contents of the version 4 hand control, refer to this page of my website and download my version 4 hand control user's guide:

https://www.nexstars...com/Manuals.htm

The listing starts on page 21.

Then, on this page:

https://www.nexstars...m/Downloads.htm

scroll down to "NexStar Object Lists".  

These are all specific to version 4 and, as I've mentioned, there have been changes in the NexStar+ database.  But it gives you a good idea of what to expect in the NexStar+ and StarSense databases as well.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

#7 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

80% of all observable star are in multiple systems. The standard Cartes du Ciel-SkyChart installation comes with the Bright Stars Catalog which contains 9096 stars to a maximum magnitude of 6.5.

A PC running CdC can be connected to your HXB and used to drive the mount to stars in the catalog.

This catalog of 120 double stars for binoculars looks interesting.  https://www.astrolea...DS/2016List.pdf

#8 Taosmath

Taosmath

Viking 1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:28 AM

No?

Ok I understand now.  So it sounds to me that according to Michael's information, the SAO catalog in your about to arrive controller should be large (29,500) and then all you need is a crosswalk from SAO to double stars.  My Cambridge Double Star Atlas has that, though I bet if you posted on the Double star forum you'd get something with more than the 2200 listings I've got in my Cambridge.

#9 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:13 PM

FWIW with the right parts you can wirelessly connect your mount to a smart phone or table and use SkySafari.  The Pro version ($40) has something like 28 million objects in the database which should keep you going for quite a whilelol.gif 

How to do it depends on Android vs iOS.  For me with Android there is a cable to a serial to bluetooth adapter that works with a cheap NexStar GT.   The cable is the RS-232 one that you use to connect the mount to a computer using a usb to serial converter.   With that cable you could use something like Stellarium but you'd be wired to the mount.

There may be a wireless adapter solution for the SLT that can create its own hotspot for connection to your smart phone.  I don't know enough about an SLTto say  but others may know.

Good luck!

#10 mega256

mega256

Surveyor 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

YES I have used Nextstar+ with the SLT mount.... although the SLT mount is not as fine (good) as the other mounts..

It works.

Bob

#11 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:27 PM

Thank you all for you responses!!! Mike Swanson I have visited your site many times and it is very helpful. I would donate but I don't see a button. bow.gif 

I have an original NexStar 5 (non-upgradable). The optics are not bad at all. 

I do not think I can put a dovetail on that old OTA... So I'll be selling it and looking for something else.

For now I have a SV80 f/6 to put on the SLT mount. That scope will perform double duty as a CaK 

scope. 

It's just confusing. I sounds like Mike, you are saying, it's ALL in there! If so, why does Celestron say 4K objects?

Do they hobble it if the mount is set to SLT?

I just re-read the comments... I guess I'll give it a go when I pick it up.

Oh and yes Taosmath, I have the Double Star atlas.

I just got the USB->SERIAL and SERIAL -> RJ cabling. So I guess the point is moot. And typing this I just realized when not using my Nexus on the dob, I could make a Wireless net if I can hook the Nexus to the Nexstar slt... So I'd have a Nex-NexStar... lol.gif Cripes so many choices!

#12 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:15 PM

I have an original NexStar 5 (non-upgradable). The optics are not bad at all. 

I do not think I can put a dovetail on that old OTA... So I'll be selling it and looking for something else.

For now I have a SV80 f/6 to put on the SLT mount. That scope will perform double duty as a CaK 

scope. 

Think I'd pull the C5 put a bar on it and use it on the SLT. The SLT and the N5SE are mechanically similar. For visual the C5 will work there. Sell the N5 mount for $75-100.

#13 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 27 May 2019 - 10:11 PM

Think I'd pull the C5 put a bar on it and use it on the SLT. The SLT and the N5SE are mechanically similar. For visual the C5 will work there. Sell the N5 mount for $75-100.

My N5 does not match (on a cursory glance) Mike Swanson's site picture of dismounting a N5. It starts off wrong, I have small hex head screws on the cover. I have to stop by my local Harbor Freight to get a wrench that will pull the cover. Unless it is really large, just looking at the Alt axis stud visible while the cover is on I can not see a 'nut'. But we'll see.

I did order Agena rings and a vixen dovetail to use the N5 on an SLT. I just hope I can get the @$!$ off the current mount. The dovetail + rings give me the flexibility to put it on a side by side Alt_Az mount or a GP EQ mount.

LOL!!! By now I could have bought a used N5 SLT! :)

#14 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:58 PM

Anyone know what rings I can purchase that will fit a N5?

Thanks!

#15 Sammy

Sammy

Lift Off

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:27 AM

140mm to 144mm rings should work...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics