•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SLT 4k to NexStar 40k question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:31 PM

I am new to recent SLT/NexStar mounts. (I have an original - non-upgradable N5 (for sale as well:p ))

I have an almost brand new SLT mount on the way. No scope. Just the mount and tripod

I was wondering:

A) Can just upgrade the firmware to have the 40,000 object DB instead of the 4,000 (or did they skimp on memory for the SLT versions)?

B) If not, can I use any recent 40k NexStar+ hand controller with the SLT mount? Even if it came off a Celestron GEM or other mount with the 40K db? Is there a setting to tell the controller, hey this is an SLT! 

Thanks for your wisdom in advance!

Clear skies

Jeff

#2 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:10 PM

I am new to recent SLT/NexStar mounts. (I have an original - non-upgradable N5 (for sale as well:p ))

I have an almost brand new SLT mount on the way. No scope. Just the mount and tripod

I was wondering:

A) Can just upgrade the firmware to have the 40,000 object DB instead of the 4,000 (or did they skimp on memory for the SLT versions)?

B) If not, can I use any recent 40k NexStar+ hand controller with the SLT mount? Even if it came off a Celestron GEM or other mount with the 40K db? Is there a setting to tell the controller, hey this is an SLT! 

Thanks for your wisdom in advance!

Clear skies

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Celestron never updated their marketing info in that respect as they migrated the NexStar GT series forward to the SLT series.  When the SLT was first introduced it came with a version 4 hand control.  The hardware was identical to the larger NexStar models' hand control and the SLT-specific firmware had almost the same database as the larger NexStars (the CCD, IC and Abell objects were omitted).  The actual object count on the larger models was 46,106 while the SLT had 37,981.  Since the hardware was the same, I've generally advised SLT owners with a version 4 hand control to load the NXS firmware rather than the SLT_LCM firmware.  In addition to these "missing" objects, it adds support for equatorial alignment.

All that said, once the SLT started shipping with the newer NexStar+ hand control in 2012, the firmware for all alt-az models became the same.  So, all models now have the "40,000+" database. Celestron has not published any details on the actual database in the NexStar+ and I haven't bothered to manually tally up what is there.  But off the top of my head, I recall that they dropped the CCD (27 objects) and Abell (2712 objects) in the NexStar+ hand control so the total is probably around 43,400.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#3 gdjsky01

gdjsky01

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

Riddle me this one Riddler... my NexStar 5 SCT hand controller (press the 4 arrow buttons at power up) says 4.13.13.9

Yet does not seem to have any upgrade ability. Now I knew it was not upgradable. But then I started reading that I should have earlier firmware if an earlier scope.

My N5 has no indication it is anything other than a first gen N5. Silver Tube. No labels on the OTA. S/N 62458

Controller is not a + and has no Celestron key.

Yet has 4.13.13.9 firmware.

Is that a riddle? Or just normal?

Mike, thank you for all the help.

Good news is I can control the scope using NSOL. Using a tripp-lite USB adaptor and the Celestron cable.

Bad news is some, though not all, ASCOM programs seem to lock up after the slew.

But NSOL is all I probably need. 

Edited by gdjsky01, 26 May 2019 - 07:31 PM.

#4 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:09 AM

Riddle me this one Riddler... my NexStar 5 SCT hand controller (press the 4 arrow buttons at power up) says 4.13.13.9

Yet does not seem to have any upgrade ability. Now I knew it was not upgradable. But then I started reading that I should have earlier firmware if an earlier scope.

My N5 has no indication it is anything other than a first gen N5. Silver Tube. No labels on the OTA. S/N 62458

Controller is not a + and has no Celestron key.

Yet has 4.13.13.9 firmware.

Is that a riddle? Or just normal?

Mike, thank you for all the help.

Good news is I can control the scope using NSOL. Using a tripp-lite USB adaptor and the Celestron cable.

Bad news is some, though not all, ASCOM programs seem to lock up after the slew.

But NSOL is all I probably need. 

Hi Jeff,

The version numbering on the original NexStar 5/8 is in no way related to any of the newer models:

https://www.nexstars...N58Firmware.htm

Yours sports what was probably the last version created for that mount. 

Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics