•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Delites

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:48 PM

These are unreal eyepieces. Viewing the moon with my 130/650 newt and the 9 and 7mm Delites is basically a religious experience. They are clearly better than my LVWs from what I've seen. "Pure" and "sublime" are the terms that come to mind. Expensive, but worth every penny, TV have deadset hit the nail on the head here. 

I WILL be collecting all the short FL's. 

Just sayin'.

Edited by HellsKitchen, 21 May 2019 - 10:58 PM.

• plyscope, jdown, Sarkikos and 6 others like this

#2 Neptune

Neptune

Apollo

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:13 PM

I did a direct comparison with a Nagler type 6 and a Delite of the same focal length in a AP 175 and the clear winner was the Delite for sharpness and contrast.

• Sarkikos, HellsKitchen and buddy ny like this

#3 leonard

leonard

Apollo

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:16 AM

Hello

Making them my eyepieces of choice for my 120 refractor and 7 inch reflector . I like everything

about them . The weight thing is important to me , there also more neutral in image presentation than some other

TV eyepieces . 

#4 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:38 AM

These are unreal eyepieces. Viewing the moon with my 130/650 newt and the 9 and 7mm Delites is basically a religious experience. They are clearly better than my LVWs from what I've seen. "Pure" and "sublime" are the terms that come to mind. Expensive, but worth every penny, TV have deadset hit the nail on the head here. 

Just sayin'.

I put the 18.2mm Delite slightly ahead of a 17mm LVW, but equal to the 22 LVW, owning all 3.

#5 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:24 AM

I just put my order in for the 3, 4 and 5mm Delites. 

More than a thousand bucks. More than what a fully decked ED80 costs.

But bugger it, it is only a week at work. Life is made for enjoying, right? Do I spend well over  $1000 on 3 eyepieces that bring me tears of joy? Yes I do, and well so be it. I spend way more on council bills, car rego, license renewal etc and all that bollocks.  So I will spoil myself, bugger it sideways.

I will await the message from the PO that my order has arrived.

I will pick it up with great excitement when it does arrive.

Lunar observing with my 130/650 on work nights will go to a whole new level

Edited by HellsKitchen, 22 May 2019 - 09:04 AM.

• cuzimthedad, Neptune, jdown and 6 others like this

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:55 AM

I have the 7 DeLite.  Excellent sharpness and perceived contrast for Moon viewing.

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 22 May 2019 - 08:56 AM.

• HellsKitchen, Kutno, BradFran and 1 other like this

#7 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:06 AM

I have the 7 DeLite.  Excellent sharpness and perceived contrast for Moon viewing.

Mike

My 7 and 9mm Delites have basically changed my life.

Hence my $1000+ investment to complete the set. Lunar viewing with my 130 /650 newt and the 7mm Delite is a plainly rediculous experience. I need the short focal length's NOW!

Edited by HellsKitchen, 22 May 2019 - 09:19 AM.

• Sarkikos, Kutno and BradFran like this

#8 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

Just sayin'.

I agree completely. DeLites are *perfect* lunar eyepieces. I find that wider angle eyepieces have exit pupil problems when looking around the wide field since the moon is so bright it constricts your pupil. But DeLites are easy to look around the field without losing the exit pupil. They are tack sharp, super high contrast, color neutral, very comfortable, and have enough of a field of view that you can relax while looking through them.

I much prefer DeLites over Delos, Nagler, or Ethos for the Moon, though I prefer the wider AFOVs of the other eyepieces for other targets.

Edited by CrazyPanda, 22 May 2019 - 12:04 PM.

• Sarkikos, BradFran and 25585 like this

#9 jdown

jdown

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico (Chama in summer, ABQ in winter)

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

I agree with CrazyPanda - the 7mm Delites are a great eyepiece for lunar observing.  I use 2 of them with my APM 120mm binocular-telescope.  The detail on the lunar surface at 94x, binocular views, is excellent. 

My default EPs are 12.5mm Docters, again 2 of them, that give superb views of wide double stars, OCs, GCs, etc.  I don't recall which one it was, but about a year ago i was trying to resolve a double star that didn't quite separate using the Docters at 52x.  I switched to the 7mm Delites, which at 94x did split them.  It wasn't a fair comparison, but in terms of sharpness of stars, the Delites held their own against the much pricier Docters.  

• Sarkikos likes this

#10 Mike W

Mike W

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:50 PM

Just sayin'.

Finally, an honest man on C/N! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif 

#11 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

I just put my order in for the 3, 4 and 5mm Delites. 

More than a thousand bucks. More than what a fully decked ED80 costs.

But bugger it, it is only a week at work. Life is made for enjoying, right? Do I spend well over  $1000 on 3 eyepieces that bring me tears of joy? Yes I do, and well so be it. I spend way more on council bills, car rego, license renewal etc and all that bollocks.  So I will spoil myself, bugger it sideways.

I will await the message from the PO that my order has arrived.

I will pick it up with great excitement when it does arrive.

Lunar observing with my 130/650 on work nights will go to a whole new level

As a friend of mine constantly tells everyone who need to hear it, "I work to live. I don't live to work."

• BradFran likes this

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM

Just remember that precise collimation goes hand in hand with high power viewing and Newts. You don’t want to ruin the view because your collimation couldn’t take high mag.

Scott
  • Neptune and BradFran like this

#13 russell23

russell23

Cosmos

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 23 May 2019 - 11:10 AM

I think the DeLite's are TV's best line, followed by the Ethos.  I use my 18.2mm DeLite with the 1.6x Nikon and the 3x TV barlow which is roughly equivalent to having 18.2mm, 11mm, and 6mm DeLite's.  That covers a significant chunk of my observing.   I'm considering adding the 15mm DeLite which with the barlows would be like adding the 9mm and 5mm DeLite's.    Then I could add the 4mm DeLite for those rare occasions when seeing allows around here.

• RAKing, BradFran and 25585 like this

#14 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:55 PM

I love my Delite 5mm on the moon in my 145mm MakNewt!

Gg

#15 Frisky

Frisky

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Minnesota

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:07 AM

"bugger it sideways"

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#16 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:10 AM

My 3mm is fav most used Eyepiece.

• BradFran likes this

#17 Moondust

Moondust

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Show Me State

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

My 3mm is fav most used Eyepiece.

I'll be picking up a 3mm Delite here shortly to see if performance is up to all the hype. I've been disappointed before so we shall soon see.

#18 Ronofthedead07

Ronofthedead07

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:57 AM

A comparison between Delos and DeLite would be interesting, as the DeLites are based on the Delos (which are based on the Ethos). Tele Vue (probably smartly) avoided duplicating any focal lengths between the two lines, though. I have used 3 of the Delos (6, 8, 12) but haven’t tried a DeLite yet.

The Delos obviously has a wider AFOV, but both are widely regarded as Tele Vue’s best in terms of optical quality.

Edited by Ronofthedead07, 25 May 2019 - 06:59 AM.

#19 BradFran

BradFran

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Mars

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:42 AM

I still say TV should add a 6mm DeLite... then we could obsess over the 6mm DeLite, Delos and Ethos side by side... cool.gif but that is probably why they won't.

• RAKing likes this

#20 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 25 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

I think the DeLite's are TV's best line, followed by the Ethos.  I use my 18.2mm DeLite with the 1.6x Nikon and the 3x TV barlow which is roughly equivalent to having 18.2mm, 11mm, and 6mm DeLite's.  That covers a significant chunk of my observing.   I'm considering adding the 15mm DeLite which with the barlows would be like adding the 9mm and 5mm DeLite's.    Then I could add the 4mm DeLite for those rare occasions when seeing allows around here.

I don't know about their ranking in the TV hierarchy, but my DeLites are much lighter than my old Radians.  I prefer a wider FOV for my lower magnifications, but have switched to the DeLites at the upper end with no regrets.  They are clear, super sharp and they have become my main workhorses for splitting double stars.

And I agree they Barlow very well.  I now use the 7 DeLite with a Zeiss 2x Barlow to get 3.5mm, and that has made my 3.5 XW and Delos somewhat redundant.  Even with the Barlow, the combination still feels smaller and lighter than the other two.  I haven't tried the Zeiss with the 5mm DeLite yet, but if the sky conditions are right..... cool.gif

Cheers,

Ron

• JIMZ7, Sarkikos, BradFran and 1 other like this

#21 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

I don't know about their ranking in the TV hierarchy, but my DeLites are much lighter than my old Radians.  I prefer a wider FOV for my lower magnifications, but have switched to the DeLites at the upper end with no regrets.  They are clear, super sharp and they have become my main workhorses for splitting double stars.

And I agree they Barlow very well.  I now use the 7 DeLite with a Zeiss 2x Barlow to get 3.5mm, and that has made my 3.5 XW and Delos somewhat redundant.  Even with the Barlow, the combination still feels smaller and lighter than the other two.  I haven't tried the Zeiss with the 5mm DeLite yet, but if the sky conditions are right..... cool.gif

Cheers,

Ron

Those Zeiss Abbe 2x Barlows are great! Best 1.25" with Nikon's 1.6x.

• RAKing likes this

#22 carver2011

carver2011

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:04 PM

I’ve had the 9mm and 18.2mm DelLites for over a year. They have become 2 of my most used eyepieces. The 9mm, awesome for planets and Lunar. The 18.2 on my Mak 127mm gives breathtaking Lunar views, and globular cluster images In my 8 SCT that sparkle. I can’t wait until I get enough money to get other DeLites. 

Ed

• Sarkikos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics